JD CUSTOM

Old 30-10-12, 18:26   #1
priceysVL
Gold Members

Car: 1988 A9Y VL Calais Wagon
Trader Rating: (0)
Coolant Temp Sensor Question

hello everyone

my vl has been playing up recently and running real rich and a lack of power and dead spots. Anyway, read all the common faults, checked afm, and replaced these things:
Coil pack
Dizzy
Plugs
TPS
and CTS.

Nothing changed and still have the same problems. Today i went to replace the cts with one i had off my engine here and the plug snapped the top half of the sensor in the plug. I left it unplugged and went for drive, and it felt like a new car. Idles smooth, plenty of power, cant smell fuel smell.

Will having it unplugged cause any damage?
Will it be harder to start in the mornings?

When it was connected the temp gauge sat just before the 2nd line now it sits right on half an never went any higher.

Any feedback will be great

Cheers James

Last edited by priceysVL; 30-10-12 at 19:05.
priceysVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12, 18:48   #2
Ant_man
Player

Car: vl calais turbo , vs senator 215i 6 speed, vz ssz
The single wire/ pin sensor is for the dash and the two pin sensor is for the ecu which have you left disconnected
Ant_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12, 18:51   #3
priceysVL
Gold Members

by having it unplugged will i run into any problems? I know it doesnt sound right having it unplugged
Old 30-10-12, 19:02   #4
Ant_man
Player

Car: vl calais turbo , vs senator 215i 6 speed, vz ssz
I would assume the ecu will log a fault code and possible put it into limp mode , stick with the original plan of replacing the cps with spare from other motor and clear ecu then see how car runs

---------- Post added 30-10-12 at 19:33 ----------

To clear ecu remove batt terminal and pump brake pedal so lights remove any residual voltage
Ant_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12, 19:06   #5
priceysVL
Gold Members

the plug that snapped was off another sensor i tried. It runs so much better with it unplugged?!!?!?! Fault with the wiring?
Old 31-10-12, 23:56   #6
Turismo
Gold Members

Car: VE Berlina Daily
Trader Rating: (2)
Un-plugged... mate it will dump fule in lol so u may have crap in your fule filter or try replace your afm mate.

---------- Post added 01-11-12 at 00:06 ----------

or maybe it runs lean but its fule related. The CTS works on resistance so wiring should not be an issue uf itr reacting when plugged in/out.

Wipe your computer memmory

plug every thing back in as per factory arrangements and take her for a drive

performe a diagnostic and go from there
Turismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 09:18   #7
priceysVL
Gold Members

I learnt the hard way. Wouldn't drive in the morning. Getting rid of it
Old 06-11-12, 19:04   #8
RB30DEVL
Player

Car: VY SS Commodore
re- CTS

Quote:
Leaving a coolant temp sensor unplugged for a prolonged period will shorten the life of the engine and emission control components such as catalytic converters, it wouldn't make the car harder to start in the mornings.

It will also destroy fuel economy, if it's running bad when plugged it , it sounds like the sensor is shorted and making the engine run too lean, replace it with a new one,they are available new aftermarket from an auto store or maybe E-bay so you don't have to go to Holden or Nissan to get one, they probably wouldn't stock them any more anyway and would cost a fortune if they did.

I don't see any VL's in the wreckers any more though there may be the rare in in there, check the connections for corrosion too, if they are, replace the plug, I got mine from Auto Amp in Newcastle when the CTS went on the RB30DE engine in the VL, I just fitted an RB30E one in its place, you have to get the Japanese style connector because the locating notch is in a different spot to say the one on a VN Commodore which has a Bosch style connector.

I'm not sure how the older ECU's like the one in the VL worked but the LS1 in my VY Commodore has programmed into it a 5 minute time frame which allows the engine warm up and get into closed loop mode, if it doesn't go into closed loop mode after that then the check engine warning symbol comes up on the dash.

That's happening at the moment to my car, the passenger side o2 sensor is dead and hopefully that Bosch unit will arrive tomorrow.
RB30DEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 19:10   #9
bachig24u
Player

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by priceysVL View Post
hello everyone

my vl has been playing up recently and running real rich and a lack of power and dead spots. Anyway, read all the common faults, checked afm, and replaced these things:
Coil pack
Dizzy
Plugs
TPS
and CTS.

Nothing changed and still have the same problems. Today i went to replace the cts with one i had off my engine here and the plug snapped the top half of the sensor in the plug. I left it unplugged and went for drive, and it felt like a new car. Idles smooth, plenty of power, cant smell fuel smell.

When it was connected the temp gauge sat just before the 2nd line now it sits right on half an never went any higher.

Any feedback will be great

Cheers James
To answer the question, you need to know what model ECU is installed in the car. whether it be R31 or 3EM/3EA or 3TA/3TM or aftermarket.

The NA ECU's run different CTS routines than the VLT ones.
ECU Calibration Engineer - Tuner
bachig24u is offline   Reply With Quote