CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > VL Turbos
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 06-04-04, 20:55   #1
87calais
legend

Car: '87 VLCT Manual, '11 VE SS-V Manual
Trader Rating: (12)
Send a message via MSN to 87calais
87calais.

hey.

A little bit about my calais.

I brought the car back in 1999 as a stock NA Auto with the only mod being a ste of Genie extractors and 2.5" exhaust. The plan was always to turbo it and get it looking better, but at the time funds didnt really allow for much. About the only thing that happend in the first couple of years was a set of 17 inch PCW alloys and a decent stereo, consisting of an Alpine deck and stacker, Alpine V12 amp, 2 clarion amps, Alpine sub, kenwood 7x10 rears and clarion splits up front.

I started getting a bit more serious in 2001 when i purchased a wrecked berlina turbo 5 speed to donate its driveline to my calais. The plan was to swap all the gear over as is into my calais over a couple of weekends. As things happen i thought it would be a good idea just to pull the rocker cover off and check for any obvious bad signs internally in the engine, then i pulled the rockers and lifters off and pulled the cam, then i decided to pull the head off just to check it out and it was at about that point i thought stuff it, and pulled the bottom end down.

Around the same time i got a few other goodies for the car, they included an intercooler kit from Hyperflow Intercoolers with the core measuring 600x300x76, they also supplied me with a turbosmart 2 stage boost controller and turbosmart type 2 BOV. I know a guy who makes up custom exhaust manifolds so i had him make one up for me, I ordered a Whiteline "works" suspension kit and a set of K-Mac strut tops. A new brake package was also purchased which includes a VLT booster and 1" master cylinder, a st of 4 spot front brake callipers from a Skyline and also the matching rear 2 spot callipers, I purchased a set of calliper mounts from Commsport along with a set of braided brake lines.

Over time i have developed a bit of a desire for circuit racing, and have decided that the car will aimed more in that direction, and while a stock RB30ET goes ok for a bit of fun, i need a bit more power for my intention as a street/circuit car. In the hunt to unleash a few more horsepower in March 2003 i brought myself a birthday present - the top end of an RB26DETT engine that had spun a bearing. I let them keep the exhaust manifolds and turbos etc as they would not have suited my application anyway and it saved me a few $$$ on the purchase . I got the head, cams, covers, plenum, and six throttle inlet setup.

In november 2003 the old NA finally cried enough and failed an oil pump, which just about finished off the engine, it was pretty tired anyway. There was no way i was buying another NA and my new engine still needed a fair amount of cash put into it to finish it off, so i hunted down a 2nd hand RB30ET to put in untill the new engine is finished. This worked out well because i had a fair few goodies now that didnt suit the engine im building anymore with the different head/inlet setup, so instead of selling them i can use them on this engine. So over a weekend with the help of a couple of mates, we ripped the old NA Auto out and fitted the new turbo engine and used the 5 speed from my wreck, and about 1am monday morning she was running!.

Since then i have fitted the cooler, boost controller, a 3" mandrel bent exhaust from the turbo dump pipe back, and my custom exhaust manifold will be going on shortly, thats as far as im going with this engine as i would rather spend money on my other engine tham mess around with this one. I also have an LSD sitting here that will be going in as soon as i find myself a set of 3.7 or 3.91 gears.

there will be more pics and info HERE when i pull my finger out and finish the page off..

Cheers.
Scott.
Old 07-04-04, 11:38   #2
VL3LtrCalais
Official Member

Car: VY SS
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to VL3LtrCalais Send a message via MSN to VL3LtrCalais
can't wait till you get the 26 on there should be good
Old 07-04-04, 12:37   #3
vlt-dreamer
Player

Car: Black Territory
Trader Rating: (64)
yeh, sounds like you got a lot going on mate... cant wait to see the progrees report sport the rb26 head...mmm...
Old 08-04-04, 01:38   #4
87calais
legend

dont hold your breath on the 30/26 combo lol, ive had it all sitting here waiting to go together for 12 months now, and it hasnt moved yet. Trying to buy a house at the moment so the cars on the backburner for a while, but i'll keep this updated with any progress.
cheers.
Old 08-04-04, 01:43   #5
Spike
WHT-747

Car: VL Calais Turbo, 180sx
Trader Rating: (37)
Send a message via MSN to Spike
Car looks sweet Scott, good luck with future mods

mick
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-04, 13:13   #6
Boostedcal
SUCH IS LIFE

Car: VL Calaisturbo II 5speed
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87calais
dont hold your breath on the 30/26 combo lol, ive had it all sitting here waiting to go together for 12 months now, and it hasnt moved yet. Trying to buy a house at the moment so the cars on the backburner for a while, but i'll keep this updated with any progress.
cheers.

Cool, so does that mean I will be able to get that head half price? Every time i see that head sitting on your shelf I go weak at the knees....thinking that it would look great under ya mates bonnet...oh yeah, and u can fit it too while i have a beer...lol
Old 10-05-04, 22:40   #7
87calais
legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedcal
Cool, so does that mean I will be able to get that head half price? Every time i see that head sitting on your shelf I go weak at the knees....thinking that it would look great under ya mates bonnet...oh yeah, and u can fit it too while i have a beer...lol
Haha, dunno bout the head at half price, and i think you got your words all muddled up about fitting it, i think you meant to say you would fit it to my car while i had a few beers.. lol. But maybe you can have your engine stand back while im waiting to screw the thing together...

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 30-09-04, 13:48   #8
87calais
legend

OK, I have dummy fitted the head to the block to check evrything out, and just had to put this pic up!!!

I finally got around to fitting my extractor manifold to my car too, feels pretty good. Also recently turfed the air con system as it was getting in the way and it never really worked 100% anyway. The boot is currently going under a new stereo install, this is about the third one lol. Might be getting my other rear brakes on shortly too (twin piston skyline callipers on a vented rotor), then just need to sort out the pedal ratio.

thats about it.

cheers
Scott.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2456  
Old 30-09-04, 13:53   #9
vlt-dreamer
Player

Car: Black Territory
Trader Rating: (64)
craze'.

awesome stuff, keep it coming champ.
Old 30-09-04, 14:22   #10
251NFL
UR LOSS

Car: VL Turbo, TD42 GU Patrol
Trader Rating: (19)
Send a message via MSN to 251NFL
thats tough man great job
Old 07-10-04, 21:57   #11
Boostedcal
SUCH IS LIFE

Car: VL Calaisturbo II 5speed
Trader Rating: (2)
I cant wait to help him get it in so i can have a spin.......lol
need that diff in too.....
Looks awesome Scott, but you keep makin me spend more on mine when u carry on like this....hahaha
Old 25-04-05, 23:20   #12
VL3LtrCalais
Official Member

Car: VY SS
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to VL3LtrCalais Send a message via MSN to VL3LtrCalais
thats the first glance ive had of it scott looks awesome im chasing
a plenum for my new setup 2 weeks counting till it starts
Old 26-04-05, 08:45   #13
87calais
legend

didnt realise all my pics had gone when i changed isp's, ill upload some more pics and fill in a few small updates later on today

Cheers