GRUNT Performance

Old 28-07-04, 00:57   #1
ad_z83
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Anti theft mods

Hi,

I recently bought a VL Calais in excellent condition and I must say it is a beautiful machine. The only thing is at the moment I'm only paying for 3rd party property (i.e. no fire and theft) and the thing has no anti-theft/security devices to deter thefts away. I also park the car outside the front of my house and at uni where it could be easily stolen. I'm going to upgrade to fire and theft once I get the money, but in the meantime what are some good cheap ways of protecting my car from theives? I don't have the money for an immobiliser or alarm at the moment.

Cheers,
Adz
ad_z83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-04, 12:43   #2
1sickvl
Adonis

Car: LH slr5000
Trader Rating: (15)
get some solex locks and save up for a good alarm
1sickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-04, 23:57   #3
87vl
Player

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via ICQ to 87vl Send a message via MSN to 87vl
wire up a few kill switches. best for only u to know where they r wired up to(ie. starter motor, fuel pump, CAS, Computer, igntion)
87vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 13:09   #4
honour
Player

Car: 5 sp VL
one easy way to to take that spinny thing out of the distributer cap or just a cable or be a bitt smarter and splice in to the fuel line and hook up a switch that is well hidden so they won't get very far
honour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 17:02   #5
StockyMcStock
NEED A NEW AVATAR

Car: Twincharged RB30DE
Trader Rating: (7)
kill switches for fuel pumps are very good, because the car will run for a bit, then die, then they can't start it again..... starter motor keeps going but car won't start. theives might just think it's a 5hitty car and leave it. solex locks cost $80 and are well worth it too!

also club lock it, between the park brake and shifter so that it can't be moved at all, unless there's a tow truck.
StockyMcStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 17:33   #6
IndigoHRT
Player

Car: VL S3
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to IndigoHRT Send a message via Yahoo to IndigoHRT
Yeh a fuel pump kill switch would work unless u are running on GAS aswell... damm it, was gonna run a remote kill switch to the fuel pump.
IndigoHRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 17:16   #7
ATMO_BT1
CT Allstar

Car:
Trader Rating: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockyMcStock
kill switches for fuel pumps are very good, because the car will run for a bit, then die, then they can't start it again..... starter motor keeps going but car won't start. theives might just think it's a 5hitty car and leave it. solex locks cost $80 and are well worth it too!

also club lock it, between the park brake and shifter so that it can't be moved at all, unless there's a tow truck.
so these solex's are 80? sounds good. is that each? is that installed?

what about getting remote central and shaving the door locks off altogetha, what are ur comments on ppl who do that?
Old 10-08-04, 17:28   #8
StockyMcStock
NEED A NEW AVATAR

Car: Twincharged RB30DE
Trader Rating: (7)
80 bucks for two front doors and a boot lock, with keys etc. not installed. took me about 4 hours to install all three. they look pretty good too i reckon.
StockyMcStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 19:06   #9
darklord
Player

Car: VT Berlina :(
Trader Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoHRT
Yeh a fuel pump kill switch would work unless u are running on GAS aswell... damm it, was gonna run a remote kill switch to the fuel pump.
run one to the gas solinode (sp?) i had a VL on lpg and if u run it to that it kills the gas AND the fuel pumps.

Works like a dream.
Old 10-08-04, 22:40   #10
Dexn
Player

Car: VL Berlina
Trader Rating: (1)
Also, iff you've got an auto, I've got in the habbit of putting a lock on the T bar that prevents you from shifting gears (ie,from park to drive) simple and cheap

Unless they bring a dremel I suppose...
Dexn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-04, 13:58   #11
JuZi
Official Member

Car: '88 Blue VL Series 2 Exec
Send a message via MSN to JuZi
instead of a kill switch for the fuel pump wot if you take out the fuse, much easier (nothing 2 install) and probably safer too, its fuse number 3 from the left
Old 11-08-04, 16:35   #12
1sickvl
Adonis

Car: LH slr5000
Trader Rating: (15)
why would you wana do that? then everytime you park it you gota pop the bonnet ans take the fuse out. Then ya gota put it back in when you come back to ya car. If someone is watching you (unlikely) then they would have an idea of what is wrong, if you have a switch in the car all u gota do is flick the thing and thats it
1sickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-04, 17:21   #13
davo_rulz
Player

Car: VY Clubsport
hehehe its good to have a killswitch on my fuel pump - my car won't even start unless it primes
davo_rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-04, 17:36   #14
`Bolt~On`

take out ya steering column.. :|
atleast they wont be goin anywhere :P..
Old 11-08-04, 23:39   #15
87vl
Player

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via ICQ to 87vl Send a message via MSN to 87vl
Quote:
Originally Posted by davo_rulz
hehehe its good to have a killswitch on my fuel pump - my car won't even start unless it primes
not a good idea to tell everyone man. now youve just told any potential thiev who wants ur car wot to do...
87vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 15:40   #16
JuZi
Official Member

Car: '88 Blue VL Series 2 Exec
Send a message via MSN to JuZi
i didnt mean doing that every time, i do it wen parking the car for a long time in a shifty lookin place (not that that happens a lot), yeh kill switch is good too but thats sumtin i really cant be fcuked setting up, although i do have an amp kill switch so if sum1 steals my car they're not gonna b able 2 listen 2 music, lol, yesssss, suffer in ur jocks! (i understand how stupid what i said was)
Old 14-08-04, 10:33   #17
HYBRID VL
Player

Car: 87 VL Calais Turbo RB25/30 HYBRID
Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via ICQ to HYBRID VL Send a message via MSN to HYBRID VL
yer i just pull my microtech out ECU out no chance then of starting the car plus kill switches plus an i idea in the back of my mind im going to get chain links weld to my stereo gear like system and speakers so on then chain the to the chasis of the car so wen they try to get them out it will be chain to the inside of the car unless they got a bolt cutter they wont get it.

dont worri about door locks they will just bust the window if they want it or anything.

My VLCT got broken in to they tried driver and passenger door locks after they broke both rods and central locking they couldnt get in so the just smashed the back drivers side window.

they got in and couldnt start it cause i took the MT8 ECU out.
HYBRID VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-04, 20:42   #18
wollow
Player

Car: '96 VS berlina
Send a message via MSN to wollow
Ok, removing a fuse works temporarilly, but if they know thats whats happend they can just use any fuse from a non esential extra (like aircon). The dizy cap is bolted on so removing the dizy arm isnt really practical.

Best way to go it to have one visible deterent (so rather then break somthing gettin into the car then realise its not going newhere they just move on) and a mechanical device to stop them if they decide they want ur car, (like a nice VLC, or somthing)

I picked up an imobaliser for $99 and had an uncle install it for me, and invested in a $44 Aunger Steering lock. Fairly cheap and easy. Or you could pick up a little **** smiths flashing light kit and a bezel and drill a little hole in the plasic thinggy that pops out next to the illumination brightness adjuster thingger (Rheostat switch i think its called) and stick ur LED in there... intant alarm system. (at least any little deviant will think so neway) And that would only cost bout $10
wollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-04, 21:08   #19
marka
Player

Car:
solex locks and metal plates inside the doors do they can't open it by sliding a tool down the door
marka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-04, 23:11   #20
punk0rz
Player

Car: '88 VL (SL) Commodore
Quote:
Originally Posted by marka
solex locks and metal plates inside the doors do they can't open it by sliding a tool down the door
I've been meaning to install metal plates so the locks can't be pulled open by a long grappling object (ie - coat hanger)... Have you installed these? How did you go about it?

Also the locks in my car are about to die, so I'm thinking a set of solex's (as well as a decent alarm, and possibly a kill switch) will keep my prized vl safe.
punk0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-04, 18:52   #21
vl_wag
T-Dawg Yo!

Car: 88 VL S/W
Send a message via MSN to vl_wag
do u guys think of tints as a saftey measure so ppl cant see in side or do u think they are invitin? like if someone sees tints they will think somtin good is inside???

comments....
Old 20-08-04, 19:55   #22
coastvl
ATMO6

Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to coastvl
mate nobody can see in my windows. I can't even see out the bloody things at night. But it does look good.
I see what your saying and your right. If you can't see in they won't see your stereo and stuff. But if the car looks good they'll want it anyway.
Instead of a switch for the fuel pump, use a key switch. If they find it, they then have to get around it.
Old 21-08-04, 12:57   #23
vl_wag
T-Dawg Yo!

Car: 88 VL S/W
Send a message via MSN to vl_wag
so i guess ur tints are illegal??? wat % are they? ive just put 15% ona ll my windows not windscreen , and i realised it got darker the more tints i put on. but yer i reckon it improved looks heaps annd it will hide the gear im gonna put in the back!
Old 21-08-04, 13:27   #24
coastvl
ATMO6

Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to coastvl
Mine are 5%. Legal is 30%.
Old 25-08-04, 13:06   #25
Revolt
Player

Car: 86 VL Commodore
If you want a good anti-theft weapon, sleep in your car with an Aspe close, you know, a baton that extends. When the ****s try to take it, hit them in the back of the knees, which will take their centre of gravity from them and force them down on to their knees. Once there take out their arms, don't hit them in the centre of the back or head as it could...kill them.
Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote