User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 10-09-10, 09:41   #151
Jakeb110
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
What falcon borgy axles would go straight into a vp diff? I want the falcon/nissan stud pattern, im crazy i know
Jakeb110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 12:29   #152
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
None. They are different lengths to a VP diff. If you want that stud pattern, if you can't find adaptors, find an axle supplier and ask they either supply axles with the appropriate stud pattern or get them undrilled, then have a wheel shop etc drill them for you.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 19:59   #153
h|ghland
Player

Car: vl wags
Trader Rating: (3)
hey ive got a 28spline 4 pinion without the lsd option - berlina turbo wagon

i want lsd, what are my options ? can i chuck lsd in cheap or am i better off sourcing a new diff

thanks
Old 13-09-10, 18:15   #154
Psi_Wagon
Wagon > Sedan

Trader Rating: (39)
all you need to do is get an lsd centre man, from anything VL-VS live axle
Psi_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-10, 21:06   #155
h|ghland
Player

Car: vl wags
Trader Rating: (3)
that sounds reassuring... can you buy them new or reconditioned from a diff shop you reckon ?
Old 14-09-10, 22:36   #156
Wraith666
Player

Car: '94 VR V6
Or you could go down to your wreckers and sus out some EA-EL wagons and see if they have LSD. Take centre out bolt into your diff easy as. Least you know it will have less chance of being thrashed being leaf sprung.
Wraith666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-10, 22:38   #157
exchaser
9.96@134mph

Car: 'ONC16'
Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via ICQ to exchaser
You can buy them new reconditioned on ebay from about 350 bucks. Centre only, no gears, in 28 and 31 spline configurations..
Old 15-09-10, 09:43   #158
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith666 View Post
Or you could go down to your wreckers and sus out some EA-EL wagons and see if they have LSD. Take centre out bolt into your diff easy as. Least you know it will have less chance of being thrashed being leaf sprung.
Problem with that is those centres will most likely have different gearing to his current diff, which means changing either the ring gear or pinion.
Old 06-10-10, 19:12   #159
elare69
Gold Members

Car: calais turbo
Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via MSN to elare69
hey, would v8 wagon diff fit into calais sedan
elare69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 22:26   #160
SHIZNIK
boong chook

Car: white sl vlt
hey i got v8 3.08 lsd diff in my vlt atm, apart from buying diff gears wats another option? pintara diff? also ive heard some older holden rodeo diffs had 4.11's anyone no of this?

SIXTY 5 THIRTY
SHIZNIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 10:21   #161
LUXJET
yehboi

Car: PANNIC
Trader Rating: (5)
you wont get a rodeo diff under a vl nor pintara.. just change the gears
Old 07-10-10, 12:21   #162
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Car: 1987 Calais Walky V8, Caldina GT-T daily, 1992 Honda Ascot Innova and a beach buggy!!
Trader Rating: (1)
Hi Guys, so ive done the mandatory reading of this thread for the answers to my question but can seem to find one so here goes:

I currently have a 25 spline sedan non LSD diff sitting in the shed that was originally in the car.

I have a 28 spline Non LSD wagon diff in the car now (found out the shock mounting were different after we pretty much had it in so just made it fit!).

I have a 28 spline LSD carrier unit and 3.08 gears (i have heard that the diff gears are all the same for 25/28 spline).

Can i straight swap the 28 spline wagon internals (and install the LSD/diff gears at the same time) into the 25 spline sedan diff housing?

So basically i wanna gut one diff and fill it with the other internals.

Cheers guys
Old 07-10-10, 16:06   #163
NZ EVLHSV
Player

Car: Gen-F GTS
99% sure you can, 5spdvl will be able to confirm. If you are doing that at least put a set of 3.45s in at the same time
NZ EVLHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 16:37   #164
elare69
Gold Members

Car: calais turbo
Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via MSN to elare69
3.7s slapping in
elare69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 19:51   #165
madrx3boy
Gold Members

^^I've read a lot on here about VL Wagon axles being different in lenght to VL Sedan axles (read lots of arguements), some people reckon they're the same some reckon they're different) but somehow I think maybe they're getting confused with the difference between VL and VN axles.

But yes 5spdvl knows all about this stuff so he'll be able to help ya
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 20:26   #166
Psi_Wagon
Wagon > Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
Hi Guys, so ive done the mandatory reading of this thread for the answers to my question but can seem to find one so here goes:

I currently have a 25 spline sedan non LSD diff sitting in the shed that was originally in the car.

I have a 28 spline Non LSD wagon diff in the car now (found out the shock mounting were different after we pretty much had it in so just made it fit!).

I have a 28 spline LSD carrier unit and 3.08 gears (i have heard that the diff gears are all the same for 25/28 spline).

Can i straight swap the 28 spline wagon internals (and install the LSD/diff gears at the same time) into the 25 spline sedan diff housing?

Cheers guys
answer is Yes you can. ive done it both ways before, sedan to wagon and vise versa.
Old 08-10-10, 09:57   #167
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Car: 1987 Calais Walky V8, Caldina GT-T daily, 1992 Honda Ascot Innova and a beach buggy!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi_Wagon View Post
answer is Yes you can. ive done it both ways before, sedan to wagon and vise versa.

Thanks man, so you have swapped spline sizes too?
Old 08-10-10, 12:10   #168
Psi_Wagon
Wagon > Sedan

yep the current diff in my vh was a 25 spline single spinner, i put the guts form my wagon 28 spline lsd into it
Old 08-10-10, 12:22   #169
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Quote:
yep the current diff in my vh was a 25 spline single spinner, i put the guts form my wagon 28 spline lsd into it
Awesome, cheers man. Was it hard to swap it all over. Do you happen to know the starting torque for the crown wheel/pinion and also the backlash of crown wheel to pinion?
Old 09-10-10, 21:40   #170
Psi_Wagon
Wagon > Sedan

np's man.

it was pretty simple, and i couldnt tell you the torque settings as i did it by feel. that diff has been going strong minispooled for years now with no probs, haha

Edit: here you go, straight from the workshop manual for the 28 spline diff;

Last edited by Psi_Wagon; 09-10-10 at 21:46.
Old 15-10-10, 03:28   #171
Brocksta
Player

Car: VL Calais
Hi guys I need some advice, I have just done a complete driveline change on my VL Calais and i stupidly left it up to the mechanic to decide on a bulletproof diff for it as the car is putting out over 400rwkw and everything else in the driveline is tuff as. He installed a Full spool with 31 spline Mosley axles in my original BW housing and original 3.89:1 gears. But it is a pain in the ass for the street so i am trying to find the best option for a really tuff diff and is it possible to retain the 31 spline axles and just change it back to a LSD centre. Cheers

Last edited by Brocksta; 15-10-10 at 03:35.
Brocksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-10, 13:55   #172
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin

Cheers guys
Yes, you can swap the internals between sedan/wagon housings. Wouldn't recommend running a wagon housing under a sedan and vice versa though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocksta
Hi guys I need some advice, I have just done a complete driveline change on my VL Calais and i stupidly left it up to the mechanic to decide on a bulletproof diff for it as the car is putting out over 400rwkw and everything else in the driveline is tuff as. He installed a Full spool with 31 spline Mosley axles in my original BW housing and original 3.89:1 gears. But it is a pain in the ass for the street so i am trying to find the best option for a really tuff diff and is it possible to retain the 31 spline axles and just change it back to a LSD centre. Cheers
400rwkw is a HUGE amount of power for the street, probably almost to the point where you wouldn't drive it on the street. The only diff centre that'll give you LSD action without breaking is the Harrop TrueTrac helical LSD, but be prepared to pay around $1500 for it.

Last edited by 5spdvl; 15-10-10 at 13:59.
Old 20-10-10, 09:49   #173
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Quote:
np's man.

it was pretty simple, and i couldnt tell you the torque settings as i did it by feel. that diff has been going strong minispooled for years now with no probs, haha

Edit: here you go, straight from the workshop manual for the 28 spline diff;
Awesome thanks mate. Pulled the diff apart and it looks like they have shortened a VN diff so the axles are too long. They tried to shorten them and made a helluva mess of the splines when they tried to respline them. So now the axles dont butt all the way into the carrier. Gotta mate that reckons he can get them sussed though. Either that or i go back to 25 spline single spinner!!

Other than that all your advice has been graet man. Everything swapped over mint as...

Cheers
Old 15-11-10, 23:32   #174
FATMAN
Gold Members

Car: Red Berlina Turbo(PSI 11), Blue over Silver Calais Turbo(51KVL), Orange Aero Turbo(08OOST)
Trader Rating: (17)
Send a message via MSN to FATMAN Send a message via Skype™ to FATMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by h|ghland View Post
that sounds reassuring... can you buy them new or reconditioned from a diff shop you reckon ?
HART TRANMISSIONS at Brendale if you want a reconditioned LSD center supplied and fitted, give them a call.
WRECKING - HSV VN SV3800 COMMODORE #193 of 491 $999 Negotiable 0403 421 166
FATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-11, 12:39   #175
vlwagz
Gold Members

Car: VLT berlina wagon
Trader Rating: (11)
how much oil does the diff take??? im guessing keep filling until its up to the filler hole but i have the front up on ramps at the moment and cant get it off until i have oil in the diff.
vlwagz is offline   Reply With Quote