CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 11-03-14, 00:28   #1001
*LOACH*
Player

Car: Berlina Turbo Manual Wagon
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philby View Post
either they made a mistake in the ad with the year or its not an A9Y, anyone know the story with that one?
*LOACH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 20:33   #1002
mi88vl
Player

Car: poorly modified calais wagon, eh wagon ktm450, VZ SS Ute
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLTWhite1 View Post
Thanks for that. Caine on here bought it back in 2009 but haven't heard anything about it since. Not sure if it's still his.
Yeah still got it, it's been getting the body and paint treatment in my spare time (which isn't much). Few more days on the buff and fitting moulds/badges etc and all but done. Will post some update pics but can't remember my photobucket login...
It'll be up for grabs once done if anyone is interested

---------- Post added 07-04-14 at 20:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waughy View Post
Not sure if it's accounted for but there's one near my work, if it's genuine. All I can pass on is the rego, MI88VL (NSW). It's maroon, has been sitting around the meachanics where I work (RAAF base in Newcastle) and from what I could see it appears to have had an engine swap for what looks like another RB series motor. If i can find out any more info I'll post it here if the owner is happy to let me.
Hi Waughy, yeah that 1's mine. It is genuine turbo still sporting the original rb30det, it just has some massaged internals and some shiny bolt on parts. Will be selling once paintwork is finished if you know of any1 on base that would be interested. Cheers Caine

---------- Post added 07-04-14 at 21:02 ----------

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1be45490.jpg
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...psfa3f76d0.jpg
These were taken a couple months ago, I've since painted bonnet and spent a day or so on the buff.
Old 08-04-14, 06:03   #1003
GMH.TT8
Player

Car: TWIN TURBO 5LTR VS UTE, MAZDA 1300 2 DOOR, 03 HILUX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi88vl View Post
Yeah still got it, it's been getting the body and paint treatment in my spare time (which isn't much). Few more days on the buff and fitting moulds/badges etc and all but done. Will post some update pics but can't remember my photobucket login...
It'll be up for grabs once done if anyone is interested

---------- Post added 07-04-14 at 20:47 ----------

Hi Waughy, yeah that 1's mine. It is genuine turbo still sporting the original rb30det, it just has some massaged internals and some shiny bolt on parts. Will be selling once paintwork is finished if you know of any1 on base that would be interested. Cheers Caine

---------- Post added 07-04-14 at 21:02 ----------

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1be45490.jpg
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...psfa3f76d0.jpg
These were taken a couple months ago, I've since painted bonnet and spent a day or so on the buff.
What sort of coin will you bee chasing for it pm me a price and some more pics if u can
Thanks
GMH.TT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 18:07   #1004
#BEN#
Player

Car: na a9y
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller View Post
update on the crunched a9y on gumtree.

It's been purchased by a nice young bloke who works hard for his money and is upgrading from a clapped vl sl auto. i think hes 18. I'v provided him a lot of panels from a wrecked berlina wagon and have been in a little contact. its not as bad as it looked in photos (condition and damage) but appears to have a tone of bog!

I'll keep encouraging him to be an active CT member.
Thanks for the kind words the car has been in the panel beaters for a bit over a month now and I just took the car back today it looks a whole lot different than when I bought it and is coming along well and soon hopefully registered if all works out

#BEN# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-14, 14:01   #1005
priceysVL
Gold Members

Car: 1988 A9Y VL Calais Wagon
So good to see that's been saved, that guy was an idiot.
priceysVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-14, 16:09   #1006
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Car: 87 Exec, BF Falcon (Daily)
Resurrected!
That's what we want to see
Old 22-04-14, 20:50   #1007
mi88vl
Player

Car: poorly modified calais wagon, eh wagon ktm450, VZ SS Ute
Trader Rating: (1)
Some better progress pics
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...39ACEC116A.jpg

Last edited by mi88vl; 22-04-14 at 21:10.
mi88vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-14, 18:06   #1008
philby
Gold Members

Car: AVL 6
Trader Rating: (9)
got this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-VL...f57aa62&_uhb=1

---------- Post added 23-04-14 at 18:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BEN# View Post
Thanks for the kind words the car has been in the panel beaters for a bit over a month now and I just took the car back today it looks a whole lot different than when I bought it and is coming along well and soon hopefully registered if all works out

Good to see it was saved! I made an offer when it was in Sydney but the guy wanted more for it, a month later I heard he sold it for less that I offered him for it
Was also going to bid on the wreck when it was on ebay and drive it back up here to Sydney and fix it but my computer was too slow and missed out on biding on it!
But it looks like it went to a good home any way! how much did the repairs cost?
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-14, 19:08   #1009
#BEN#
Player

Car: na a9y
Quote:
got this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-VL...f57aa62&_uhb=1

---------- Post added 23-04-14 at 18:18 ----------

Good to see it was saved! I made an offer when it was in Sydney but the guy wanted more for it, a month later I heard he sold it for less that I offered him for it
Was also going to bid on the wreck when it was on ebay and drive it back up here to Sydney and fix it but my computer was too slow and missed out on biding on it!
But it looks like it went to a good home any way! how much did the repairs cost?
the price of repairs still makes me a tad upset it was a lot even with the supply of parts i had from SIroller and the exec i unfortunately had to wreck. it broke down coming back from seeing the wagon before i bid on it and wasn't worth fixing with all the electrical dramas it has.
But it was worth saving and worth doing right rather than leaving some things not right.
not much longer hopefully till i can get it registered only a couple of small items left for the roadworthy hope to have it on the road by about the 10th of may or so if all goes to plan and ill have the car as a daily id rather enjoy it for many years to come than let it sit away gaining dust
#BEN# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-14, 19:23   #1010
genki
10.84 @ 126mph

Car: Toyota JZX100 Chaser, Toyota Camry daily rocketship
My goodness....

that blue/silver calais wagon is beautiful!
Old 08-05-14, 00:20   #1011
8arn
Player

Hi Guys i'm new to the forum and was reading the threads on the turbo converted A9Y on gum tree. I purchased that car with the intention of restoring it back to original with the exception of the drive line. I hear what you say about being original to the plate and I struggled with that when deciding to buy it. I guess I figured its still A9Y and rare in its own right.

I love A9Ys and have been wanting to get one for years but family took priority for the last 10.
So now I finally got one and I plan to get the car looking original again. Im hoping to connect with other owners and find some original parts.
I did some research on the car before purchasing and spoke to the last two owners with history totalling over twenty years. The 2nd last owner who swapped drivelines took it out of a Low KLM ridden off BT1 Test car in Adelaide. Apparently that car was never registered as it was for track only.

The engine number is A8, the brakes, booster and calipers are all turbo as well as gearbox engine and 28 spline LSD. Everything was swapped out of the wreck.
Having owned and stripped to many VLs to keep count in my younger years all the components look genuine LW5 to me. I plan to have the car looking as original as possible with the exception of the drive line. Ive purchased the car for the long term and hope to get another one in a year or so (the wife is saying yes so im half way there). For now im looking for a Grey Calais steering wheel in GC, the chrome tailgate mould and some original rear wagon carpet as well as some genuine blank keys if any one knows of any? Cheers.
8arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 15:07   #1012
philby
Gold Members

got this one?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chifl...gon/1045894678

or this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-VL...p2047675.l2557
Old 10-05-14, 16:59   #1013
VL_JOHN
Player

Car: Maranello Red LW5 MX7 BT1
Send a message via ICQ to VL_JOHN Send a message via MSN to VL_JOHN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8arn View Post
Hi Guys i'm new to the forum and was reading the threads on the turbo converted A9Y on gum tree. I purchased that car with the intention of restoring it back to original with the exception of the drive line. I hear what you say about being original to the plate and I struggled with that when deciding to buy it. I guess I figured its still A9Y and rare in its own right.

I love A9Ys and have been wanting to get one for years but family took priority for the last 10.
So now I finally got one and I plan to get the car looking original again. Im hoping to connect with other owners and find some original parts.
I did some research on the car before purchasing and spoke to the last two owners with history totalling over twenty years. The 2nd last owner who swapped drivelines took it out of a Low KLM ridden off BT1 Test car in Adelaide. Apparently that car was never registered as it was for track only.

The engine number is A8, the brakes, booster and calipers are all turbo as well as gearbox engine and 28 spline LSD. Everything was swapped out of the wreck.
Having owned and stripped to many VLs to keep count in my younger years all the components look genuine LW5 to me. I plan to have the car looking as original as possible with the exception of the drive line. Ive purchased the car for the long term and hope to get another one in a year or so (the wife is saying yes so im half way there). For now im looking for a Grey Calais steering wheel in GC, the chrome tailgate mould and some original rear wagon carpet as well as some genuine blank keys if any one knows of any? Cheers.
Are you talking about the blue one that was for sale on Gumtree Adelaide? It had a funny clock with a wood grain panel where the ash tray goes and Walkinshaw wheels?

If so, nice buy. That guy didn't live far from me. I've known of that car since he got it. I've always admired it.
VL_JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 18:45   #1014
8arn
Player

Thanks that's the one. I've found most of the interior and factory turbo parts now. Still looking for a grey Calais steering wheel. Not sure if I should replace the Walky wheels for Calais ones yet.
Old 11-05-14, 16:58   #1015
VL_JOHN
Player

Quote:
Thanks that's the one. I've found most of the interior and factory turbo parts now. Still looking for a grey Calais steering wheel. Not sure if I should replace the Walky wheels for Calais ones yet.
Excellent.

Finding a good wheel with no roll in the grip is hard..

The gear boot and surround were mismatched from memory? I reckon leave the Walkys. They are from that era and don't make it look too modern/tampered with.

The chopped up crossover pipe to the side for cooler piping was a bit odd. Are you going to change it?
Old 11-05-14, 19:07   #1016
8arn
Player

Yeah I got a standard cross over pipe and all the factory turbo intake to air box as well. I've even got a factory dump pipe. I'm keen to get it all original looking. Might still get Some Calais rims that aren't polished just to keep if I Eva want them. I do like the walky rims to.
Old 12-05-14, 15:50   #1017
VL_JOHN
Player

Quote:
Yeah I got a standard cross over pipe and all the factory turbo intake to air box as well. I've even got a factory dump pipe. I'm keen to get it all original looking. Might still get Some Calais rims that aren't polished just to keep if I Eva want them. I do like the walky rims to.
Yeah, sounds good
Old 14-05-14, 18:05   #1018
VLTWhite1
Since 1987

Car: A white one, a red one, a maroon one, a gold one & a black one !
Trader Rating: (5)
Yep, got both, but haven't seen the green one for about 5 years. Last owned by grandey on here.
Thanks
Old 02-06-14, 19:53   #1019
philby
Gold Members

how about this one?
http://www.quicksales.com.au/ad/1988...emid-708687909
Old 02-06-14, 21:44   #1020
Waughy
Gold Members

Car: VZ Wagon.
Trader Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi88vl View Post
Y

Hi Waughy, yeah that 1's mine. It is genuine turbo still sporting the original rb30det, it just has some massaged internals and some shiny bolt on parts. Will be selling once paintwork is finished if you know of any1 on base that would be interested. Cheers Caine[COLOR="Silver"]
Hey Caine,

Haven't been on here in a while. I spoke to you recently when I dropped off the papers for my mates Harley you looked over. A shame you are letting the Calais go after all the work you've put into it. Also a shame I'm in no position to be interested in it as a purchase. I've got my Cruze on lease for another 4 years, I may look into another VL in 2 years for a 40th present for myself, but will see how things pan out there. I'd like to but things are different now (mortgage) so the funds for toys aren't really there.
Good luck with things, hopefully the Calais finds a good home and is looked after well.

Last edited by Waughy; 03-06-14 at 13:31.
Waughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 09:56   #1021
VLTWhite1
Since 1987

Car: A white one, a red one, a maroon one, a gold one & a black one !
Trader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Thanks. It was on Gumtree back in February.
Old 10-06-14, 18:13   #1022
mIsS VL
Player

Car: VLCTW & VLCW
Trader Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xibit0r View Post
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gosne...ade/1038464637

This one is back up for sale again in W.A

I made an offer based on respray prices in W.A, he didn't take the offer but he did say he would take 5 grand now. Much better than the old 10 grand asking price

Have asked for pics of tags to add to the register
Hello, do you know what he ended up doing with it? I think this was my old NA wagon... just interested in its travelings.
It went from myself in brisbane, to melbourne, then to a young kid in WA, which he told me he sold it to a friend in WA and it was getting a new LS1 heart/possibly ruining it
Old 13-06-14, 14:32   #1023
VL_Nick
Player

Car: VL Wagon
Friday trivia: what was the type of spare wheel fitted to A9Y wagons? Calais alloy or steel rim?

Last edited by VL_Nick; 16-06-14 at 15:46.
VL_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-14, 14:34   #1024
Steve
( . Y . )

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL_Nick View Post
Friday trivia: what was the type of alloy fitted to A9Y wagons? Calais alloy or steel rim?
Well.. if it was alloy then it was Calais alloy
Old 13-06-14, 14:45   #1025
VL_Nick
Player

Car: VL Wagon
Sorry, I meant spare wheel.
VL_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote