CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 17-02-14, 09:28   #2101
VLTWhite1
Since 1987

Car: A white one, a red one, a maroon one, a gold one & a black one !
Trader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller View Post
vltwhite1 i have a number of headlinings in grey that you can have for free. theyve been removed roughly but are good for parts or repairing one. i didn't want to throw them out so ive got about 4 i've been saving for someone anyone lol.
No worries. Thanks. I've robbed a couple of front sections from the wreckers that I need to repair what I have on the car, but if the colour doesn't match I might get back to you.
Old 18-02-14, 21:29   #2102
cornchips
Player

Car: vl bt1 & o.g berlina turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve VL View Post
Thanks jetsonrac and XCHASE
The colour coding of almost everything (including hubcaps) was part of the "Formula" pack as was the black around the windows on an SL
Front bar lip is actually an LE one but its meant to have one like an SV88 (slightly smaller and made of rubber), the boot lip is original again same as the SV88 not an LE wing. But the LE side skirts and rear bar lip are not part of it, I do plan on taking them off but need to get a new rear bar and used the LE skirts to cover drill holes from previous skirts my parents had put on years ago

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 11:37 ----------

Would anyone be interested in buying any? $50 plus post
I only have the 2 at the moment but I can get more if there is enough interest in it

Any one on here know this guy? I brought one of these, sent the $ and heard nothing back. Sent pms and no response! Perhaps his inbox is full or there is a legit excuse so before I go pointing fingers I thought I'd see if any one knows him and can get in touch.... Just hoping I'm not another ripped off ct victim
cornchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-14, 22:05   #2103
LUXJET
yehboi

Car: PANNIC
He was online today mate
Old 18-02-14, 22:09   #2104
Steve VL
Player

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to Steve VL
All sorted
Sorry about the scare Shane
No ripping off happening here
Steve VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-14, 22:11   #2105
cornchips
Player

Car: vl bt1 & o.g berlina turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve VL View Post
All sorted
Sorry about the scare Shane
No ripping off happening here
All good Steve life gets busy sometimes, appreciate ur honesty
Thanks again
cornchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 09:55   #2106
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
sorry, pics are somewhere on my harddrive but who knows where. someday i'll start a photobucket of just random vl's i have saved on hard drives everywhere.
Old 28-02-14, 19:20   #2107
vlt78
Player

Car: brandywine VLCT
first vl?

hey, there is a guy on a brisbane vl fb site who posted a pic of his rego sticker with vin listed as avl000001.. has yet to put a pic of plates and chasis imprint but would that make it the first vl?
vlt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 22:14   #2108
VLTWhite1
Since 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlt78 View Post
hey, there is a guy on a brisbane vl fb site who posted a pic of his rego sticker with vin listed as avl000001.. has yet to put a pic of plates and chasis imprint but would that make it the first vl?
Personally I would doubt it very much but it had to exist at some time or other, and there would be two of them. AVL000001A and AVL000001M, one from Adelaide and one from Melbourne. Only a build sheet would be able to give you a date to give bragging rights as to having the 1st VL.

I'm not up to speed on what Holden did as far as plating their prototypes. And there were prototypes for everything. Then there's pre-production, and finally production (and probably a few other steps I missed). Very early on they may have been plated as production VK shells, with only possibly the ones for crash testing weren't plated as all, though they may still have been for internal purposes. All road going test cars would have had to have been plated for registration purposes at the very least. Maybe all were plated as VL's to keep track of the numbers in the program from the very beginning. I have no idea really.

I would have thought though that either of the 000001's would have been given such a hard life they would have been destined for destruction at the factory, but I have been surpised before.

Earliest I have listed is AVL000256A for Adelaide and AVL000030M for Melbourne, and I thought it unusual to find one even that early.

I'd demand a photo.

Last edited by VLTWhite1; 01-03-14 at 22:16.
VLTWhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 20:14   #2109
vlt78
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLTWhite1 View Post
Personally I would doubt it very much but it had to exist at some time or other, and there would be two of them. AVL000001A and AVL000001M, one from Adelaide and one from Melbourne. Only a build sheet would be able to give you a date to give bragging rights as to having the 1st VL.

I'm not up to speed on what Holden did as far as plating their prototypes. And there were prototypes for everything. Then there's pre-production, and finally production (and probably a few other steps I missed). Very early on they may have been plated as production VK shells, with only possibly the ones for crash testing weren't plated as all, though they may still have been for internal purposes. All road going test cars would have had to have been plated for registration purposes at the very least. Maybe all were plated as VL's to keep track of the numbers in the program from the very beginning. I have no idea really.

I would have thought though that either of the 000001's would have been given such a hard life they would have been destined for destruction at the factory, but I have been surpised before.

Earliest I have listed is AVL000256A for Adelaide and AVL000030M for Melbourne, and I thought it unusual to find one even that early.

I'd demand a photo.
i was thinking the same regarding test models, prototypes an how they would be numbered. he did however post some pics of the plates reading a may 86 build avl000001mr. i dont know how to post photos on this site otherwise i would. The fb site is "vl commodore addicts support group brisbane" thought it might be imteresting for some of nyou guys on here! have a look his name Pete Connor.
Old 02-03-14, 20:30   #2110
VLTWhite1
Since 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlt78 View Post
i was thinking the same regarding test models, prototypes an how they would be numbered. he did however post some pics of the plates reading a may 86 build avl000001mr. i dont know how to post photos on this site otherwise i would. The fb site is "vl commodore addicts support group brisbane" thought it might be imteresting for some of nyou guys on here! have a look his name Pete Connor.
Just went and had a look at his pics. I see whats happened now. It's a factory **** up. The 'R' on the end designates a repeat. The body number and date make them correct numbers for a May 1986 car.

Weirdly I reckon I can explain what happened too. I have two cars either side of that body number listed, and I think as they were trying to set up the stamping for AVL010000M, they stuffed up the placement of the number 1...

996207-M AVL009952M
996261-M AVL000001MR
996384-M AVL010026M

The body numbers usually have a loose sequence they follow the consecutive chassis numbers with. The odd one is way out, but most follow this way.

As this chassis had already been stamped 000001 in error (the real 000001 would have been a car from 1985) they had no option but to stamp an R for repeat after it and print the plate.

Thanks for picking that up though. It mightn't be worth much as a car but it'd be a great curiousity.
Old 08-03-14, 17:17   #2111
vlt78
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLTWhite1 View Post
Just went and had a look at his pics. I see whats happened now. It's a factory **** up. The 'R' on the end designates a repeat. The body number and date make them correct numbers for a May 1986 car.

Weirdly I reckon I can explain what happened too. I have two cars either side of that body number listed, and I think as they were trying to set up the stamping for AVL010000M, they stuffed up the placement of the number 1...

996207-M AVL009952M
996261-M AVL000001MR
996384-M AVL010026M

The body numbers usually have a loose sequence they follow the consecutive chassis numbers with. The odd one is way out, but most follow this way.

As this chassis had already been stamped 000001 in error (the real 000001 would have been a car from 1985) they had no option but to stamp an R for repeat after it and print the plate.

Thanks for picking that up though. It mightn't be worth much as a car but it'd be a great curiousity.

good stuff, that makes sence. I knew you or one of the guys on here would have a answer for the confusion. i have seen a pic of a 1985 plated vl but not the vin so was pretty sure this wasnt as rare as the owner and many people on the fb site thought! one guy even offered him 35K haha turns out for a N/A sl auto with botched vin plate!
Old 08-03-14, 20:16   #2112
Steff
Major League Rottweiler

Car: FPV SUPERCHARGED GS
Trader Rating: (1)
Anyone know if a earth strap was a factory fitted option/dealer option or if there is a genuine part?
I reckon they are tuff on genuine cars.
Old 08-03-14, 22:06   #2113
jetsonrac
Player

Car: 1D008D BT1 LW5-MX7.2014 R ROVER SPORT
Haha are u talkin about the strap that hangs down on to the ground that stops the static
jetsonrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 12:55   #2114
Turismo
Gold Members

Car: VE Berlina Daily
Trader Rating: (2)
So you like the strap on. Steff

Turismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 15:01   #2115
Steff
Major League Rottweiler

Car: FPV SUPERCHARGED GS
Lol yeah man. I reckon it looks sick on unmodified examples
Old 09-03-14, 18:23   #2116
INFLYT
Player

Car: Ford G6E Turbo
Trader Rating: (8)
Please tell me that thing is a turbo sleeper, and a strong power skid was laid there.
INFLYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 11:55   #2117
GMHVN
Player

Car: vn
Couple of questions about whats original.

Have a vl berlina and there is rubber lacing around the front door pinch welds. Is this factory? Had a look at other vls and its not there. Only the door rubber on the door itself.

Has anyone seen a light under the bonnet. Like a courtesy light for when you open up the bonnet... Factory? Optional?

any answers much appreciated
GMHVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 12:30   #2118
Turismo
Gold Members

N/A, 88 platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFLYT View Post
Please tell me that thing is a turbo sleeper, and a strong power skid was laid there.
Drove her across Australia so couldn't risk haven to much fun..

While on N/A awesomeness, spotted this on Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/launc...ade/1041009689
Old 10-03-14, 12:36   #2119
TRB006
Gold Members

Car: A9Y
I think under bonnet light is standard on all calais from memory, comes on when bonnet open and headlights/parkers are on. Not sure if it was an option on other models, but I don't recall ever seeing one on a non-calais vehicle.
TRB006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 12:43   #2120
Turismo
Gold Members

GMHVN Couple of questions about whats original.

"Have a vl berlina and there is rubber lacing around the front door pinch welds. Is this factory?"

YES (Installed for safety reasons mostly)

"Courtesy light for when you open up the bonnet..."

Factory(CALAIS and most likely Berlina? or calais bonnet swap)
Old 10-03-14, 15:39   #2121
calaist5
Here since 2002

Car: 1D008D LW5 MX7 BT1, Vl “Calais MOCK” sl Turbo 5speed, VZ
Static strap

Turismo,do you think the strap would look a lot nicer
hanging at the back rear instead of the centre?

regards,
David
calaist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 16:01   #2122
Turismo
Gold Members

Thats a tough one

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaist5 View Post
Turismo,do you think the strap would look a lot nicer
hanging at the back rear instead of the centre?

regards,
David
Assuming you mean right Davo, I received the car in a factory state.
But you could relocate it as long as its bolted to the chassis.

As far as my opinion goes I'm just happy it sit in the middle instead of small shrivelled and slightly to the left.

I believe (assuming it is in the factory position) that if it avoids being a trip hazard when mounted under the toe ball/number plate.

Or mounting it to the side could be slightly more hecktic as Holden may have chose to go with the subtle yet stylishly symmetrical look
Old 11-03-14, 16:49   #2123
LUXJET
yehboi

Car: PANNIC
god damn platinum and white gold are similar. in the shady pics i thought it was silverslate!!

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 17:50 ----------

sweet strap btw. i was one of those kids who wouoldnt get in the backseat without it haha
Old 11-03-14, 19:24   #2124
calaist5
Here since 2002

Car: 1D008D LW5 MX7 BT1, Vl “Calais MOCK” sl Turbo 5speed, VZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo View Post
Assuming you mean right Davo, I received the car in a factory state.
But you could relocate it as long as its bolted to the chassis.

As far as my opinion goes I'm just happy it sit in the middle instead of small shrivelled and slightly to the left.

I believe (assuming it is in the factory position) that if it avoids being a trip hazard when mounted under the toe ball/number plate.

Or mounting it to the side could be slightly more hecktic as Holden may have chose to go with the subtle yet stylishly symmetrical look
Whoops yeah right.
Good point being the logical safety thing ( close to toeball )

Sweet calais

Cheers
calaist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-14, 12:36   #2125
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo View Post
"Have a vl berlina and there is rubber lacing around the front door pinch welds. Is this factory?"

YES (Installed for safety reasons mostly)

"Courtesy light for when you open up the bonnet..."

Factory(CALAIS and most likely Berlina? or calais bonnet swap)
bnnet light is factory on calais. the space in the bonnet and the underlay and wverthing is all there ready to put a light in if you wire it and get a lense which is the same as the glovebox, so it may have been a factory or dealer oddity or maybe even just soething the owner wanted and rigged up. at the time you couldn't order a calais wagon so he may have wanted a calais but the option wasnt there so he added what he couldnt option.

re the rubber on pinchweld yes. i think i know what you mean. the front 2 doors of berlinas and calais had a double seal so instead of rubber on door and then plastic pinchweld there wa an additional piece of rubber on the front 2 doors.

I've seen the rubber all the way around o early model berlinas but usually its just from the botto front to the back of the top. (so the back and bottom had nothing.)