CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > Other Car Discussion
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 23-04-03, 16:34   #1
Lord-Data
Player

Car: Series II Kimberly Bronze VL Executive
Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via ICQ to Lord-Data Send a message via MSN to Lord-Data
VK Wiring Info

Hi
I dunno if anyone here knows much about the VK wiring, but I'll ask anyway. I've gotten the official pinouts for the VK Digital Dash from VDO, but not 100% sure on what some of the connections actually are ..

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~data/VK_files/sheet002.htm

This is the official pinout information, but some of the names confuse me .. Does anyone know anything about the following?

K2 - Flowscan Supply
K3 - Speed Supply (Possibly a +12 out to drive the speedo conversion circuit perhaps?)

A1 - VDS
A4 - Auto

B1- EFI

C10 - Buzzer
C11 - H Lamp input (or at least, why is there C11 and C4?)
C12 - Says not used, anyone know if this can be implementeded?

Any of the blank pins actually used? My VK digital dash im working on when powered up (+12 and ignition and Ground only) has "Seatbelts" on one of the text displays. Did VKs have seatbelt reminds? or is this yet anotehr unused function that was permanently by-passed in the wiring harness?

Any other info on these units would be useful Thanks!

[ http://www.vidguide.com ] - [ Free Downloads, Interactive Tech Support and More for your Digital Video Needs! ]
Lord-Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-03, 19:52   #2
87VLSL
Player

Car: 5/87 VL Calais Turbo Replica, 11/87 VL Exec, 2/04 VY SS Ute
Trader Rating: (2)
Are you putting this dash into a VL?

I Know Commodores from VB - VH had an indicator that said "Fasten seat belts" But it does not light up or do anything. Probably the same with a VK dash and has been bypassed.
87VLSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-03, 14:50   #3
Lord-Data
Player

Yes, the eventual plan is to install the dash into my VL .. thats why im sorting out wiring functions, so i can find the appropriate connection in the VL Loom. I guess i'll just try grounding the spare wires untill i find which one by-passes the seat belts function of the dash. Perhaps its the door-ajar wire that wasnt used and holden had the wording changed .. Obviously VDO built this cluster for more than just holden cars, as it seems relatively over-featured for how holden used it .. (seat belt and door-ajar warnings, for one)

Upon further thinking about how it all works, I think iv figured a few more wires out:

C11 - H Lamp input - Dash Dimming with headlights are on
C4 - H Lamp On - Probably High Beams
(or visa versa, easy to find out when i get the harness adapter constructed)
A5 - Dim - would be for the light sensor that the VK had to the left of the dash which auto adjusted brightness. I guess this could be wired to the dimmer switch on the VL's dash.
A1 - VDS - is probably +12 out for the switches to use .. not 100% sure, but i guess not hard to check once iv got it setup.

The others still have me stumped. Anyone got a gregories book for a VK? (or similar wiring info)

[ http://www.vidguide.com ] - [ Free Downloads, Interactive Tech Support and More for your Digital Video Needs! ]
Old 21-07-03, 02:23   #4
wagon01
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (4)
Vk calais dash.

Im currently working on getting a vk calais dash to work in my vl so far ive got the speedo and odometer to work. That page your got of the pinouts is great. Anyway if you have any more info pm, we could both benefit from the info we have.
wagon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-03, 01:34   #5
Lord-Data
Player

Sorry i didnt notice this reply .. must have deleted the reminder email by accident .. the info comes direct from VDO, muchly thanking them for sending me it!

Are you putting a digital dash in yours? or the regular one? At the moment thats all the info I have, but i'm in the process of setting up my test bench and getting a VL wiring loom to cut up to build an adapter harness out of

Old 24-07-03, 01:39   #6
wagon01
Player

Car:

Im using a vk calais digital dash. Ive currently got the tacho, fuel sender, temp gauge going. Im looking into doing the speedo tommorow as thier may be a few issues with the four pulsed optputs from the original vl speedo. From what i can tell thiers four pulsed output wires, i know one goes to the auto trans computer, one to the cruise circuit, But i still havent tracked the other two down. Ill keep you informed, as i believe that im not far from getting it all to work.

Cheers Shannon
Old 24-07-03, 15:03   #7
Lord-Data
Player

Ahh.. so i'm not the only one crazy enough to try and put a VK digital dash in a VL .. i just love the idea of a digital dash

Speedo iv got partly figured out ..the VL speedo unit puts out, like you said, 4 wires .. 3 are 4 pulses per rev, 1 is 10 pulses per rev (or is it the other way round?) .. the VK dash uses the 10 pulses output. according to my books, the wires go to:
DarkGreen/White = Cruise Control Circuit
Brown/Yellow = Engine Management
Black/White = "Switch Panel"
Light Green/White = Transmission Control Unit

The wire colours are of course for the VL wiring harness .. I'm not exactly sure what "Switch panel" is .. perhaps its a non-used speed output that was originally designed for a digital dash in a VL until the idea was scrapped. See the other post I had on this topic, as someone posted a url to a holden promotional photo prior to the VL launch .. and it has a digital dash in it ..

Have you thought about the actual mountings of the dash itself? I'm planning on getting some brackets welded up to bolt to the old holes and provide new holes in the right place for the VK dash .. then the VL hutch and side switches should fit it. I'm hoping to use the indicator light strip from the VL dash over the top of VK dash, which should save some messing around with the VKs indicators being lower .. only leaves the clock really .. which i can live without for now ..

Figured I can put the mode and trip meter buttons on the dash surround somewhere..

Old 24-07-03, 15:32   #8
wagon01
Player

Car:
hmmm.

Now im confused heres a link to a sticker that was on the back of my orginal calais dash.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/dianjade/Untitled-1.jpg

I can see the two output pulses, but nothing about 10 only four. Maybe they are different from the series 1 and the series 2 dash.

I tried to track down a vk speedo pickup unti today and after being told thier $175 dollars ive decided to mod my drive unit(picked one up from pick a part for 5 bucks.

The other thing you will need is a fuel flow sender unti if you wish to use the fuel estimation gauges. Very important that this gauge comes off a v8 as the efi 6 cylinders are some how built into the computer. Buggered if i know how.

I havent, but am going to once i know it will all work cut the extended piece that is on the left of the digital dash off. Presto all done. Im still doing the wiring so i let you know what ive discovered.

To get rid of the seat belt lamp just hook up the fuel sender unit and that cancelled it out on mine.

Anyway il get back to it and hopefully have it fully done by the weekend.
Ill update the info once/If it works.

Fitting the dash is not hard just make sure you take the time and measure and line it all up. Ive got the orginal (strip across the top of the vl)thing put above the speedo from the vl put onto the vk dash. (just made a few brackets).
Old 24-07-03, 15:39   #9
morepsi
HOMER IS GOD

Car: about to buy a new one
Trader Rating: (10)
all I can say is...why?
I have heard nothing but bad reports from people owning a VK with a digital dash.
So why bother putting one in a VL? You may as well grab one from an XF Fairmont Ghia
morepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-03, 15:53   #10
wagon01
Player

Car:
Something different.

I just bought it for 25$ dollars not working and reapired it.
Thier not too bad just need a little care taken on the wiring. eg solider wires instead of using cheap plugs.

I want to be different and also like the look of the digital dash. No harm on trying to fit it up.

As for putting a ford dash in, i cant believe youd mention such a thing.
Old 24-07-03, 16:23   #11
morepsi
HOMER IS GOD

Sarcasm, it's not really a new idea, I'm suprised you haven't heard of it.
Old 24-07-03, 16:25   #12
wagon01
Player

Car:

Maybe its not a new idear, but hopefully i can get it to work. I havent seen any around in Melbourne with one installed and working. Anyway if it works it works, if it dosent ive lost nothing other than 25$.
Old 24-07-03, 16:51   #13
morepsi
HOMER IS GOD

I meant sarcasm isn't really a new idea.... jeez sharp bunch in here :roll:
Old 24-07-03, 18:23   #14
Lord-Data
Player

Reasons aside, its a personal choice .. personally .. i hate white faced gauges, but people do em .. each to theyr own .. i like a digital look .. its from a similar model commodore, so its a relativly easy job to do I rekon, rather than something more complex (like a VT dash or somfin)

Old 24-07-03, 18:48   #15
Lord-Data
Player

Re: hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon01
Now im confused heres a link to a sticker that was on the back of my orginal calais dash.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/dianjade/Untitled-1.jpg

I can see the two output pulses, but nothing about 10 only four. Maybe they are different from the series 1 and the series 2 dash.
Ok, sorry, my bad .. its been a while since iv looked at the numbers .. it is indeed 4 and 2 .. not 10 and 4 .. Been using the speedo unit from an old VL dash today hooked up .. 3 of the wires register a speed, 1 doesnt .. so obviously its the 4 pulse output thats working. Interestingly, with my cordless drill turning the cable input, I coudlnt get a speed registering over 12km/h .. how fast exactly the speedo cable turns, i dont know .. might just be the drill isnt fast enough, or it might be the dash expects more than 4 pulses per rev to read accuratly .. I'll see if I can get any more info from VDO .. Guess I wont know till I get it hooked up in the car.

So far I've tested trip computer/clock interfaces, trip counter reset button, all wired up thru my own harness and working, power and speedo working (accuracy untested). Fuel, Tacho and Engine Temp will be done tomorrow.

Still puzzled over a few things tho, for example what pin on the connectors does it read from the flowscan device? I only see "Flow Scan Supply" on the round connector, which is a +5 out .. obviously a regulated 5v to drive it ..

Only 2 wires left on connector A (Trip computer) that Iv got unconnected .. Wires: "Lights" and "Auto" (A4, and A7, respectivly) .. A4 appears to be a +5 output as well .. not sure exactly what it goes to? Do you have a VK wiring diagram? or a intact VK harness? My wires for these 2 in the harness im learning from was severed ..

Connector B also has a +5 output, on the "EFI", or B1 pin .. again, not sure exactly what to drive .. all other inputs on that connector iv got figured out.

Connector C is the confusing one .. a pin labeled "Oil", C3 has a +5v output .. and the other wires, I can't see a reason why the dash would need to know these functions .. to my knowledge, theres no real reason for the cluster itself to know about things like H Lamp on, low coolant, brake fail, park brake .. etc .. These things all have theyr own lights on the dash lining that would be driven directly by the feed wires, as the VL is .. the only thing I can think of is perhaps holden changed some of these inputs since the VDO spec was released to them .. flowscan input for example, may be on one of these wires .. I need a scan from a VK gregories book or equiv ..

The only other weird thing about the VDO sheets, is A5, "Dim" .. this is actually the connector for the mode select to cycle thru the screens of trip computer function .. nothing to do with dimming .. I figured perhaps "Lights" is the dim dash wire (I do recall that there WAS a dim lights function .. actually controlled by a photoresistor on the dash .. Perhaps the +5 feed went to that, and the result fed back in the "Lights" pin. This could of course be wired to the brightness control on the VL dash.

Quote:
I tried to track down a vk speedo pickup unti today and after being told thier $175 dollars ive decided to mod my drive unit (picked one up from pick a part for 5 bucks.
This is the approach iv taken .. didnt even look into the VK one .. unless it turns out it uses a different signal rate than 4 pulses .. in which case were gonna need the VK unit .. perhaps thats cheaper from a wreckers ..

Quote:
The other thing you will need is a fuel flow sender unti if you wish to use the fuel estimation gauges. Very important that this gauge comes off a v8 as the efi 6 cylinders are some how built into the computer. Buggered if i know how.
The 6's were all carbied to my knowledge .. these are the ones that would need the flowscan unit .. I presume something that plugs into the fuel line and monitors the flow rate, and passes this data to the dash. Minor concern for me at the moment, as im seriously contemplating going straight LPG on the car .. in whcih case those functions of the trip computer would be useless anyway .. unless I can find a suitable sender for gas

Quote:
I havent, but am going to once i know it will all work cut the extended piece that is on the left of the digital dash off. Presto all done. Im still doing the wiring so i let you know what ive discovered.
I've already removed this peice from me .. it was snapped at that point when I got it, took a knock and it came right off ..

Quote:
To get rid of the seat belt lamp just hook up the fuel sender unit and that cancelled it out on mine.
Ahh beautiful .. shall be doing that probably tomorrow .. Did you cut and splice your existing wires? or use a 2nd harness to cut up and swap? does feeding 2 dash's at once affect the accuracy of any of the outputs?

Quote:
Anyway il get back to it and hopefully have it fully done by the weekend.
Ill update the info once/If it works.

Fitting the dash is not hard just make sure you take the time and measure and line it all up. Ive got the orginal (strip across the top of the vl)thing put above the speedo from the vl put onto the vk dash. (just made a few brackets).
Looking forward to your results, youv obviously done more work than me so far in this .. Do you have any pics of those brackets yet? I'd like to see em if you dont mind

Old 24-07-03, 23:20   #16
wagon01
Player

Car:

Ok this is what ive worked out so far.

for every 25kmph =35hz square wave.

so at 100kmph its 140hz square wave will drive it.

My delima, is it wont register down below 11 kmph. so i still cant figure out exactly what it needs.

140hz means in english it has to have 140 pulses a second to register as 100kmph.

Hmmm. the flowscan regulated thing is interesting, mine dosent sit at +5 volts, ill have to check that one out. From my understanding it powers the fuelflow sensor and the other end goes to the E.F.I connector on the dash (pin 1 plug b). ones again i had this feature working today using a square wave.

hmm pins for the plug a i havent worked on yet but i can verify that a4 is auto dim, but how you hook it up i havent got that far yet. as for a7, my documentation says lights too. not a great help thier.

with the extra warnings in connector c, im going to have a guess from what ive seen mine do in the top right courner where it says seatbelts, it changes to display things that are faulty. like i had sweet stuff all duel in the car and it displayed low fuel in thier. Once again just an idear.

Ive just made a harness that plugs straight into my orginal calais turbo harness. the idear is if i ever want to put the old dash bach in its as simple as unplugging one and plugging the other one back in.

I havent got a digital camera so i can take photos of what ive done, but the mounting brackets are a sinch, i just used some aliminum and bent it in an l shape and bolted that to the side if the vk calais dash. (metal part0).

hope this helps, hope to have more sorted out in the next few days,
Old 25-07-03, 01:06   #17
wagon01
Player

Car:
Another thing for you to check

after tracing the power suppy circuit. The following outpus should be present. If not I believe thier some thing worng with one of your supply rails.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/dianjade/connector.jpg

note the flowscan is +5v, be careful very easy to damage. But the speedo drive is actually +12v. if your getting 5 volts thier, i believe thier might be a problem with the dash unit.
Old 25-07-03, 12:19   #18
Lord-Data
Player

Weird yours wont read below 11kmh .. iv had mine reading at 1, 2, 5, 7, 11, 12 ..etc .. any speed by spinning the speed unit either by hand or by a cordless drill .. wish I had a cro or signal generator .. sure would help the testing

The problem with reading the pulses is, what does that equate to in terms of pulses per rev of the speedo cable? We *MAY* have to end up with the VK speed unit .. which could be a problem cost wise .. Curiously tho, could it be the vk transmissions were geared differently?

As fr the volatges, I do indeed get +12 on the speedo supply, forgot to mention that .. I'm not sure if theyr static voltages, just reading with a relatively simple multimeter .. average 5 and 12 on each tho. My guess is theyr some what regulated against the units own power supply so it keeps the readings valid as voltage supply to the cluster changes ..

So B1 is an input? I was sure I read +5 there as well, but maybe I'm wrong .. I'll recheck that later .. makes sence tho .. it needs to read the flowscan's signal from somewhere ..

I'm guessing with the a4/7 thing, theyr paired .. probably a +5 output across the PDR, which reads the resistance back into a7

Ahhh .. makes sence about the warnings .. uses that text area to display what ever is going wrong .. shouldnt be too hard to test i guess .. I presume they go high (+12) when there is something active on those lines ..

Sure does help, keep up the good work mate!

Old 25-07-03, 21:31   #19
wagon01
Player

Car:
Modfication made to speedo sender unit

http://members.optusnet.com.au/dianjade
Old 26-07-03, 01:13   #20
Lord-Data
Player

Wow .. I see your very experienced in electronics nice work indeed! (guess that explains why you have a CRO and pulse generator

I havn't looked at mine yet (its in the shed) but am i correct in assuming the front side pieces are actually missing on the VL board? or are they to be replaced with the ones bought from DSE/Jaycar ..

also, how many of those components that you mention removing from another speedo board, are they readily available as well? Might be cheaper from DSE than finding another board at a wreckers and hoping it works ..
They all look fairly common parts .. some resistors and a transistor .. Is the diode just a standard zenner?

Also, which of the 4 pins directly on the sender board is the one with the correct output? I'm building my own plug to that board, not putting it inside a VL dash, so I dont have the plug with the wire colours anymore ..

Can I also assume youve worked out which signal wire is unused in the VL then? Cruise, Auto and ECu .. and "switch panel" .. I'm assuming we'd probably use switch panel, as I'm not sure what else would need to know the speed from the dash ..

Old 26-07-03, 02:40   #21
wagon01
Player

Car:

Ill try and explain best i can.

All the parts are redily avalible from jaycar or ****smith.

They are all listed on that link i sent you (updated), ive also updated what pins go where, should be pretty straight forward now, i think.

I got the magnifing glass out b4 and the diode is a 1N4004. But ive added that on the parts list too.

Basically the four output pulse was never used hence the missing componets. Basically you need 8 pulses per revelotion to get the speedo working correctly. ( i picked up an orginal vk sender unit today and verifyed this). Relizing only a few componets were needed to activate the circuit with 8 pulses per revolution on pin 3 i went that way, keeping cost down and complexity.

I have had mine functioning and it was very close to my analogue reading on my old speedo(with modified board fitted).
spining it in a drill with both speedos conneted they were approx 2kmph out. Not too bad i think.

But full compatabilty has been kept this way thou.
Old 26-07-03, 13:18   #22
Lord-Data
Player

Excellent! Brilliant work my friend!
Shall be making a trip to DSE today me thinks
Makes sence actually, now that I think about it, that the board is capable of the right output .. there was a prototype VL calais with a digital dash, so holden must have had it working some how

I shall keep you posted how I go with the conversion on my unit!

Thanks again!

Old 26-07-03, 13:50   #23
Lord-Data
Player

One last final question, if you dont mind .. sorry to keep bugging you, but my elecontrincs isnt as good as yours

On the back side, the transistor and resistors, Am I correct in assuming the middle leg joins the 850kohm resistor in the air, no board joints?
What about the 3rd leg that joins to the 100kohm .. that also appears to be a flying join?
The 1st leg of the transistor joins to the rear side of the R4 joint, yes?

Thanks for your help again!

Old 26-07-03, 13:56   #24
Lord-Data
Player

Curious also (I guess i'll find out in due course anyway) .. Which side of the original dash did it read? Higher or lower?

Old 26-07-03, 14:15   #25
Lord-Data
Player

Sorry for all the multi-posts .. just been doing some searching on the DSE and jaycar websites, and cannot find the 2N5459 Field Effect Transistor(or Jfet)
Do you know the part number from either store? or a compatible component?
Thanks!