CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > Other Car Discussion
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Reply

 

Thread Tools
Old 22-06-10, 18:10   #26
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Hey guys, here's my Gq patrol
5 inch spring lift, 2 inch body lift
35x12.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Mtrs with Kevlar

Running Straight blow through Impco setup, with factory VL t3 with cast turbo manifold and dump, 2 1/2 exhaust (given the old N/A patrol a big liven up now)

heaps more stuff that i cant think off at the moment




Last edited by beast3805; 23-06-10 at 23:54.
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 11:59   #27
GMHBT1
Player
 
Join Date: 30-10-03
Location: VIC, brunswick
Car: R33 gtst m spec
Trader Rating: (2)
nice rig beast 3805 how much boost is it running having no intercooler and the gas setup that way.

im presuming only 6-8psi.

we need some mud bog shots in here gents.
GMHBT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 17:58   #28
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHBT1 View Post
nice rig beast 3805 how much boost is it running having no intercooler and the gas setup that way.

im presuming only 6-8psi.

we need some mud bog shots in here gents.
When i first hooked it all up it was boosting at 5.5psi, i T pieced into the waste gate line, and hooked up a volume canister (as seen in previous engine bay picture) made a suitable fitting on the end and drilled a small hole in the side of the fitting till i got the boost to where i wanted it, it spikes at 8psi under hard acceleration, then drops back to 7psi.

Was playing around with the timing tonight and found that 17Degress BTDC seems to be the best at the moment, untill i get the dizzy remapped to suit LPG :P
Ive got 2 xr6 turbo intercoolers kicking around that i'm wanting to hook up, but il need to get motivated again to do it hehe, the setup at the moment as made a massive difference to the slugbox it was before

I'll get some pics up, but they are pre-turbo+respray pics, so the patrol looked a bit uglyish back then, i cant wait to test it out in the bush turboed

---------- Post added 23-06-10 at 18:14 ----------

2008 5inch spring lift 2 inch body





2009 5 inch spring lift, 2 inch spring spacer lift and 2 inch body lift (yes i eventually rolled it)




Last edited by beast3805; 23-06-10 at 18:57.
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 19:33   #29
ISK8BY
Player
 
ISK8BY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28-01-09
Location: Melbourne, westside
Car: vr exec
Trader Rating: (2)
all i can say is **** lol
impressive gq
.
ISK8BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 19:42   #30
Steff
Major League Rottweiler
 
Steff's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-06
Location: Melbourne, Northern Region.
Car: FPV SUPERCHARGED GS
Trader Rating: (1)
love fourbiess!!! cant beat em!
__________________
1D008-D
Steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 20:19   #31
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISK8BY View Post
all i can say is **** lol
impressive gq
Cheers bud, alot of work and money has gone into it over the years, and i did all the work myself
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 22:12   #32
GMHBT1
Player
 
Join Date: 30-10-03
Location: VIC, brunswick
Car: R33 gtst m spec
Trader Rating: (2)
beast have you ever thought about a water to air intercooler such as a pwr barrel cooler or the vortech squarish looking ones.

just would have thought something like that would be a better option than a air to air as the mud wouldnt be able to get in between the fins and block them up which would cause the turbo air temps to rise substantially if your running anything over 10psi.
GMHBT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 22:36   #33
meln4bugs
Hi
 
meln4bugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-06-10
Location: VIC, SLAND
Car: stato , troll
Trader Rating: (2)
Hay mate nice rig did ya make the rear bar

Last edited by meln4bugs; 23-06-10 at 22:40.
meln4bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 23:25   #34
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHBT1 View Post
beast have you ever thought about a water to air intercooler such as a pwr barrel cooler or the vortech squarish looking ones.

just would have thought something like that would be a better option than a air to air as the mud wouldnt be able to get in between the fins and block them up which would cause the turbo air temps to rise substantially if your running anything over 10psi.
Dont know much about them mate, but i will look into it, im trying to avoid going through bog holes, im sorta over all that now, im more into the technical side like rock crawling/steep hill climbs etc they seem to give a bit more of a thrill.

Yea im trying to keep boost under 10psi, i not chasing axle snapping power, but just a bit more of a spruce up for the underpowered rb30 powered patrol, with it running on 7-8psi boost it actually goes quite well.
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 23:27   #35
OldGold
Moderator
 
Join Date: 19-06-02
Location: International, Yes
Car:
Trader Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast3805 View Post
2009 5 inch spring lift, 2 inch spring spacer lift and 2 inch body lift (yes i eventually rolled it)
Perfect example of dodgy lift that makes the car look "tuff" but in reality just makes it a less capable, more dangerous 4WD.
OldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 23:27   #36
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meln4bugs View Post
Hay mate nice rig did ya make the rear bar
Cheers bud, ye 1 of the boys made it for his GQ, but wanted to go for another design, so we did a little deal (swaped my factory GQ towbar assembly for his whole rear bar) and that was that hehe

---------- Post added 23-06-10 at 23:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold View Post
Perfect example of dodgy lift that makes the car look "tuff" but in reality just makes it a less capable, more dangerous 4WD.
Yeah sometimes you just gota learn the hardway (as i did), it did have its good and bads at the time, but its quite capable the way its set up now and am leaving it at that.
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 10:06   #37
GMHBT1
Player
 
Join Date: 30-10-03
Location: VIC, brunswick
Car: R33 gtst m spec
Trader Rating: (2)
beast if thats the case your better off leaving it non intercooled and having a factory turbo crossover pipe as mud wouldnt get in then.

does thick mud or mega steep hills pull the engine down with only 7-8psi or it churns up them effortlessly. if no has there been anytime at all it has struggled in any terrain.

in your pics it looks like you have had a few different sets of tyres over the time you have had it. in your opinion what has been the best tyres you have used.
GMHBT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 10:39   #38
meln4bugs
Hi
 
meln4bugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-06-10
Location: VIC, SLAND
Car: stato , troll
Trader Rating: (2)
Mine is a 4.2 turbo inter cooled straight gas and it churns up hills effortlessly on 12psi...

---------- Post added 24-06-10 at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold View Post
Perfect example of dodgy lift that makes the car look "tuff" but in reality just makes it a less capable, more dangerous 4WD.
Ok then what is your recommendation... 2 spring and 2 body with guard chop or what?????
meln4bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 19:57   #39
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHBT1 View Post
beast if thats the case your better off leaving it non intercooled and having a factory turbo crossover pipe as mud wouldnt get in then.

does thick mud or mega steep hills pull the engine down with only 7-8psi or it churns up them effortlessly. if no has there been anytime at all it has struggled in any terrain.

in your pics it looks like you have had a few different sets of tyres over the time you have had it. in your opinion what has been the best tyres you have used.
I did give it a slight off-road test on a steep muddy track nearby on Saturday, it turns effortlessly now, before it was always a prick on a steep hill with take off, I can take off in 2nd if i really wanted to now as i couldn't before.

Road inclines i use to struggle and always kick it back to 3rd ringing its neck to keep up speed, now i just leave it in 5th plant the foot, once engine is under load the turbo spools up and does all the work for me now

Tyres, i owned

*Silverstone Extreme M/ts (copy of the simex tyre) 35x11.50x15 on 15x7custom offset rims
Good in the mud for a cheap mud tyre, but are unfortunately undersized by a fair bit, we tested a mates tyre bran new, it measured in at 33 3/4inch! thats a full 1 and 1/4 inch smaller than the printed label, very disappointing, also found they poped off the bead quite easily and got crap in bead easily causing the tyre to deflate slowly over time

*Maxxis Mudzillas 35x13.50x15 Bias ply on 15x8 rims -22offset
Found them to wear very badly! poor traction in the wet, wandered alot on the road, wernt very good at all in the mud (always looked like big race slicks) had to be aired down a fair bit (10psi) to get them to bag out as there a stiff sidewall

*Goodyear Wrangler Mtr with Kevlar (new design on the wranglers)
35x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims -22 offset
By far the best all round Tyre I've owned!
They are a bit pricey but definitely worth it,
They seem to go quite well in the mud, on road are very quite for an aggressive tyre and exceptional traction in the wet. They have a 3 ply sidewall and once aired down to around 15psi, they bag out very very well and seem to hug rocks like pillows, haven't ye had 1 pop off the beed and have given them a hard time

To some that up, if your wanting a decent tyre i'd go the Goodyear Wranglers

---------- Post added 24-06-10 at 19:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by meln4bugs View Post
Mine is a 4.2 turbo inter cooled straight gas and it churns up hills effortlessly on 12psi...

---------- Post added 24-06-10 at 10:41 ----------



Ok then what is your recommendation... 2 spring and 2 body with guard chop or what?????
Its good to hear your also gone something different,you also know how it feels just to be able to drive a modified 4by effortlessly, best feeling ever

Last edited by beast3805; 24-06-10 at 20:03.
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 20:35   #40
meln4bugs
Hi
 
meln4bugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-06-10
Location: VIC, SLAND
Car: stato , troll
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast3805 View Post
I did give it a slight off-road test on a steep muddy track nearby on Saturday, it turns effortlessly now, before it was always a prick on a steep hill with take off, I can take off in 2nd if i really wanted to now as i couldn't before.

Road inclines i use to struggle and always kick it back to 3rd ringing its neck to keep up speed, now i just leave it in 5th plant the foot, once engine is under load the turbo spools up and does all the work for me now

Tyres, i owned

*Silverstone Extreme M/ts (copy of the simex tyre) 35x11.50x15 on 15x7custom offset rims
Good in the mud for a cheap mud tyre, but are unfortunately undersized by a fair bit, we tested a mates tyre bran new, it measured in at 33 3/4inch! thats a full 1 and 1/4 inch smaller than the printed label, very disappointing, also found they poped off the bead quite easily and got crap in bead easily causing the tyre to deflate slowly over time

*Maxxis Mudzillas 35x13.50x15 Bias ply on 15x8 rims -22offset
Found them to wear very badly! poor traction in the wet, wandered alot on the road, wernt very good at all in the mud (always looked like big race slicks) had to be aired down a fair bit (10psi) to get them to bag out as there a stiff sidewall

*Goodyear Wrangler Mtr with Kevlar (new design on the wranglers)
35x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims -22 offset
By far the best all round Tyre I've owned!
They are a bit pricey but definitely worth it,
They seem to go quite well in the mud, on road are very quite for an aggressive tyre and exceptional traction in the wet. They have a 3 ply sidewall and once aired down to around 15psi, they bag out very very well and seem to hug rocks like pillows, haven't ye had 1 pop off the beed and have given them a hard time

To some that up, if your wanting a decent tyre i'd go the Goodyear Wranglers

---------- Post added 24-06-10 at 19:30 ----------



Its good to hear your also gone something different,you also know how it feels just to be able to drive a modified 4by effortlessly, best feeling ever
Yeah go the turbo trolls .... I just got a set of 37 swampers will get some pics up when i bolt em on
meln4bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 22:19   #41
GMHBT1
Player
 
Join Date: 30-10-03
Location: VIC, brunswick
Car: R33 gtst m spec
Trader Rating: (2)
yeah i have heard the silverstones are junk from somebody else as well.

the maxxis i dont know of anybody thats used them that i know.

the guys with offroaders i know usually all have pedes or claws although i know my mate was going to try some goodyear mtrs next but i dont know what type i will pass on your feedback.

im thinking of getting a patrol myself and a rb30 patrol looks a viable and smart option for me as engine parts are cheap as chips and if alls it takes to get something with good off road power is as simple as a stock turbo conversion then it tempts me even more as everything is pretty much available on this forum.

4.2 would be nice but i presume it would be much more costlier to turbocharge compared to the 3ltr.
GMHBT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-10, 19:46   #42
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meln4bugs View Post
Yeah go the turbo trolls .... I just got a set of 37 swampers will get some pics up when i bolt em on
were those 37's on outerlimits, 4wdaction or something?

---------- Post added 25-06-10 at 19:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHBT1 View Post
yeah i have heard the silverstones are junk from somebody else as well.

the maxxis i dont know of anybody thats used them that i know.

the guys with offroaders i know usually all have pedes or claws although i know my mate was going to try some goodyear mtrs next but i dont know what type i will pass on your feedback.

im thinking of getting a patrol myself and a rb30 patrol looks a viable and smart option for me as engine parts are cheap as chips and if alls it takes to get something with good off road power is as simple as a stock turbo conversion then it tempts me even more as everything is pretty much available on this forum.

4.2 would be nice but i presume it would be much more costlier to turbocharge compared to the 3ltr.
Ye alot of the comp guys run claws and pedes, pedes are a bloody good tyre, but expensive, the 35" pedes actually measure 36" (they measure 35 at the tyre carcass, the way tyres should be made!)

Ye i highly recommend getting an rb30 patrol, there got so much potential and are a bloody tuff/reliable engine. They do run a different gearbox to the 4.2 patrols, there like a 300zx or something gearbox (if somewon can clarify that for me?), just gotta be care-full running to much power through them as they will pop!

Definitely pass on my info bout the Mtr's to your mate, if he wants a good all round tyre for road and offroad, tell him "Goodyear Wrangler Mtr's with KEVLAR" are the way to go

Last edited by beast3805; 25-06-10 at 19:57.
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-10, 09:56   #43
GMHBT1
Player
 
Join Date: 30-10-03
Location: VIC, brunswick
Car: R33 gtst m spec
Trader Rating: (2)
yeh rb30 unit is what i will be chasing i think just so much more affordable for engine parts and hi performance bolt on items.

with your patrol when you had the 5 inch springs the 2 inch spacers and the 2 inch body lift was it a nightmare to drive on the street ?. i mean as in getting the sways at certain speeds or feeling like it was unstable going to tip on certain corners at any particular speed etc ? or do you have fully adjustable shocks where you set them extremely soft in the bush so they travel and then can stiffen them right up when on road to prevent any of the above mentioned from happening.

i gather you have kept the 5 inch springs and the 2 inch body but have removed the spring spacers or is it still running them ?

i will be sure to let my mate know about the mtrs with kevlar cheers.

also what are yours or anybody elses thoughts on tsl boggers ? any good.
GMHBT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-10, 11:45   #44
DVS VL280
Player
 
DVS VL280's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30-05-05
Location: Melbourne, somewhere in the hills
Car: DVSVLT, VEPSI and VXPSI
Trader Rating: (2)
oh the picture where ur car has like cliffs up both side, thats at warburton isnt it? good track that one how was ur rear qaurter panel after it haha, i climbed that one to, no winch needed and pouring rain
__________________
MAZTECH MOTORSPORTS
DVS VL280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-10, 20:06   #45
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS VL280 View Post
oh the picture where ur car has like cliffs up both side, thats at warburton isnt it? good track that one how was ur rear qaurter panel after it haha, i climbed that one to, no winch needed and pouring rain
Hehe ye Warby, 1st time i did it(look back at the pic where you see the back of my car between 2 rocks, take note of the pan-hard rod if you can see it hehe" i got a small kiss on the rhr a pillar, then the 2nd time i did the track, i kissed the lhr A pillar so they match now haha!, back down the track before you get up to this part of the track, theres 3 bog holes, the middle 1 at the time had a hidden rock poking out, everyone (9 4x4's) that went through it pushed there Rhr quarters in haha! was a pissa!

---------- Post added 27-06-10 at 19:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHBT1 View Post
yeh rb30 unit is what i will be chasing i think just so much more affordable for engine parts and hi performance bolt on items.

with your patrol when you had the 5 inch springs the 2 inch spacers and the 2 inch body lift was it a nightmare to drive on the street ?. i mean as in getting the sways at certain speeds or feeling like it was unstable going to tip on certain corners at any particular speed etc ? or do you have fully adjustable shocks where you set them extremely soft in the bush so they travel and then can stiffen them right up when on road to prevent any of the above mentioned from happening.

i gather you have kept the 5 inch springs and the 2 inch body but have removed the spring spacers or is it still running them ?

i will be sure to let my mate know about the mtrs with kevlar cheers.

also what are yours or anybody elses thoughts on tsl boggers ? any good.

It was a bit top heavy (wasn't running sway-bars either but had heavy coils) it did sway a bit but that was due to a combination of not having enough +castor and the bias ply Mudzilla's i was running at the time, seemed a bit better when running the Silverstones, your gotta adjust your driving style to suit that sorta lift and also need to go wider in the vehicles track to compensate. if i really put it into a tight corner at low speed, i could lift the LHF wheel 1 to 2 feet off the ground and it actually held it quite well without feeling like rolling over.

At the moment I'm running just 5 inch coils (prob 4 inch due to saggage) and 2 inch body lift, seems to be quite capable of doing most things

I don't know much about the Bogger's, haven't been 4bying with anyone that runs them, but i have done previous reading on the Tyre, they seem to be an awesome mud tyre, if not 1 of the best? but i wouldn't wanna be running them on the road to much....and they do seem rather expensive!

Last edited by beast3805; 27-06-10 at 20:33.
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-10, 15:58   #46
GMHBT1
Player
 
Join Date: 30-10-03
Location: VIC, brunswick
Car: R33 gtst m spec
Trader Rating: (2)
ok where are all the tuff rb30 turbo patrol vids.

somebody must have some footage to throw up.
GMHBT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-10, 20:02   #47
bigears
Gold Members
 
bigears's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-08
Location: Melbourne, eastern subs
Car: evilgq , VLT berlina
Trader Rating: (8)
Its not a rb30 , its a tb4.2 turbo but heres a vid anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZSaai7ZK_M




cheers
bigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-10, 20:42   #48
beast3805
Player
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Location: Melbourne, narre
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears View Post
Its not a rb30 , its a tb4.2 turbo but heres a vid anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZSaai7ZK_M




cheers
Thats crazy as mate, nice work!
beast3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-10, 21:15   #49
DVS VL280
Player
 
DVS VL280's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30-05-05
Location: Melbourne, somewhere in the hills
Car: DVSVLT, VEPSI and VXPSI
Trader Rating: (2)
oh bigears ur the owner of EVILGQ love this car have quite a few pics of it will chuck some up tomorrow
__________________
MAZTECH MOTORSPORTS
DVS VL280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-10, 22:06   #50
-VB-
Player
 
Join Date: 10-09-06
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern
Car: VL Berlina 5 speed
Trader Rating: (0)
jesus sh*t bigears thats awesome. crackin gate through the scrub... i like it!
-VB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger