User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > Other Car Discussion
GRUNT Performance

Old 02-03-12, 20:54   #1
gold-vlt
Player

Car: fg xr6t daily, 88 vl series 200, 86 vl executive wagon, e46 barra powered
Trader Rating: (7)
help! qld mature age 1st yr apprentice wages???

Hi i'm just after some info as i cant find it anywhere on the net including fairwork.com other sites. I'm 21, 22 this year and have just started an apprenticeship with a large major car dealership and was under the impression when i started that i would be on mature age award wages being over 21 but i looked on my new employee papers and it says im getting $7.58 per hour. now im not too happy as that equates to $600 per fortnight working full time and i was getting $550 a fortnight not working. except now i am using about 20 times more fuel per week. needless to say i cannot survive off this kind of pay.

Does anyone know around how much i should be getting per hour as a mature age first year apprentice mechanic?
gold-vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 15:14   #2
FATPSI
oblivious

Location: VIC, constantly changing between the right and left gutter
Car:
Trader Rating: (61)
Send a message via MSN to FATPSI
the govt has an income suppliment of $100 or $150 a week for mature age, the people who sign you up (ie megt etc) should give u the forms
Old 03-03-12, 16:15   #3
vltrb-0
The Regulars

Car: ke57, a ke70 with an ls1 and a turbo
Trader Rating: (26)
**** me dude, i'd be finding out what minimum wage is, regardless you can get more than that at maccas

---------- Post added 03-03-12 at 17:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltrb-0 View Post
**** me dude, i'd be finding out what minimum wage is, regardless you can get more than that at maccas

well i went to fair work just assumed a few things, since your 21 i listed you as a junior apprentice in motor mechanics

sure enough the exact award is $7.58

that is amazing

http://paycheck.fwo.gov.au/PayCheckPlus.aspx for your reference to fairwork australia

you also need to look into your allowances, tools, dirty work etc etc

remember as well mate your working to a future if you can't accept that then go pack boxes at star track for $25/hr

Last edited by vltrb-0; 03-03-12 at 16:22.
vltrb-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 18:04   #4
underoath
Player

Car: vs ss
Trader Rating: (0)
mature age is 25 now, i missed out by one year but my boss pays me it any way, im on $15.60 an hr , 1st year panel beater
underoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 18:27   #5
brawlr
still a player

Car: HBD vy ss / HZ v8 tonner
Trader Rating: (11)
Has it changed in Vic recently? It was over 21 for mature wages then over 25 was a different bracket of mature wages. I would of thought you would be getting the equiv of 4th year wages like here.
Are you employed through a training & apprenticeship organization?
Old 03-03-12, 19:50   #6
gold-vlt
Player

I got the apprenticeship myself by applying on seek. agencies have been nothing but useless to me and have told me i'm "too old". that is ****ed if they changed the mature age to 25.. i live out of home, have since 15, and have the same bills and expenses as anyone else does. i dont have mummy or daddy paying for everything and supporting me like a 16 year old would. i pay my own way. seriously what a fail system, no wonder so many mature age people dont upskill.
I've been offered a job/apprenticeship with a mate doing pool building starting on $800 per week. dont know if i should do that or do another 3 and a half years in an apprenticeship then an extra 6 month course to change from light vehicle into diesel if thats possible. by this time i'll be 25-26.. thoughts????

---------- Post added 03-03-12 at 19:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATPSI View Post
the govt has an income suppliment of $100 or $150 a week for mature age, the people who sign you up (ie megt etc) should give u the forms
Is this in all states. I'm not with an agency i got the job by getting called up by the company for an interview.

---------- Post added 03-03-12 at 20:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATPSI View Post
Is this in all states? I'm not with an agency i got the job by getting called up by the company for an interview.

---------- Post added 03-03-12 at 20:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltrb-0 View Post
well i went to fair work just assumed a few things, since your 21 i listed you as a junior apprentice in motor mechanics

sure enough the exact award is $7.58

that is amazing

http://paycheck.fwo.gov.au/PayCheckPlus.aspx for your reference to fairwork australia

you also need to look into your allowances, tools, dirty work etc etc

remember as well mate your working to a future if you can't accept that then go pack boxes at star track for $25/hr
http://paycheck.fwo.gov.au/PayCheckPlus.aspx#

check out this page it says i should be a adult apprentice being 21. i should be (i think) the first on the list shown.

---------- Post added 03-03-12 at 20:25 ----------

By going through a few things on that site and also by clicking "more info" on the award it appears I 1; am being paid as a junior (under 21) or 2; am being paid as a probationer as you are on a 6 week or so probation when you start an apprenticeship before all the proper apprentice papers are lodged.
either way I am meant to be paid as a mature age apprentice once i am properly put on so i'll be keeping a very close eye on what happens and have a chat to my manager about it on monday,
Old 03-03-12, 22:52   #7
FATPSI
oblivious

Location: VIC, constantly changing between the right and left gutter
Car:
Trader Rating: (61)
Send a message via MSN to FATPSI
here in vic you have to be signed up by a training organisation but i am employed directly by my boss. I'm 99% positive its nation wide, Its if you earn under $580 per week or something
Old 04-03-12, 00:44   #8
ekul
Gold Members

Car: vlt,ke70
Trader Rating: (4)
Hey mate,

Im 21 and started a apprenticeship as a boat mechanic, was on 7.20 and hour, worked for nearly 3 months but pulled out because i couldnt afford to live on it. In SA there is a state minimum wage of 15.79 (the State Minimum Wage also includes minimum rates for apprentices, trainees, piece workers and workers in supported employment. )

http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=5116

but most of the companys go under a national minimum wage, which is the 7.20 first year.

It may work the same in your state, but you can find the business you want to apply with then you call safework sa ( if in sa ) and they can tell you if the company pays by state wage or national, so then you have a good idea how much you will earn.
ekul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 08:16   #9
XEC747
328 PSI biteforce

Car: VL, VR, VE
Trader Rating: (9)
I don't think minimum wage applies to apprentices.

I was on $4.84 my first year
Old 05-03-12, 20:51   #10
gold-vlt
Player

I asked my manager this arve after work what award i'm under and he said i dont know then made a call. after the call he said you are meant to be on $13 something an hour and it will be fixed up not this pay but next. lucky i asked him. funny though he didnt look suprised at all that i was on half of what i should have been.
Old 05-03-12, 21:43   #11
RB-GEM
LS1 Powered

Car: LS1 powered VH , VS Statesman
Trader Rating: (4)
Gold vlt , as a 1st year apprentice auto elect I was on $180 a week , had to use my own car to pick up parts & lunches , was abused constantly sometimes even given a whack for making a mistake and not paid for any overtime . Apprentices have it good these days in the auto trade but i wouldn't recommend being a mechanic ( which im qualified as also ) , or anything else in the auto trade . It's a rubbish dying trade . Go learn how to build pools dude . It even sounds cooler than a mechanic
Old 13-03-12, 11:04   #12
clutch
Player

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to clutch
the award will be something like 15$ph, but its an apprenticeship so, about 8$ for first year.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote