CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > New Zealand
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 19-12-17, 03:11   #251
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Trader Rating: (0)
Hey bro would you mind sending me those drawings? Cheers!
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-18, 21:52   #252
ZOO222
Gold Members

Car: 1988 Vacationer
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrx3boy View Post
Hey bro would you mind sending me those drawings? Cheers!
**** i hope i got around to sending those drawings.

Just got back from 6 months travel. Keen drive this around for a bit. Needs the cert plate to be fitted, a WOF and a fresh tank of E85 and hit the road.

See how it goes. Not happy with how laggy it is. Going to see if i can get a smaller exhaust housing or get a Garret T3/T4 60-1. Toyota Northshore seems to have them at a very reasonable price (About $1250).

Pics because thats why everyones really here right

Current exh housing. Most relevant size reference
Seems to be a 13cm housing and from hours of google it seems an 11cm is available. If it fits or not is the question then the issue of actually finding one.
I did see an rb25det exh housing massaged onto a K27 floating around on trademe for about a month but its gone. So there's some potential.

ZOO222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-18, 04:33   #253
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Yeah man you did send them, I haven't done anything about them yet tho haha. Do you remember the place where you had them made?

With the turbo, what about upgrading the cam instead, wouldn't that gain you a bit of extra exhaust flow?
Old 22-08-18, 08:26   #254
ZOO222
Gold Members

Quote:
Yeah man you did send them, I haven't done anything about them yet tho haha. Do you remember the place where you had them made?

With the turbo, what about upgrading the cam instead, wouldn't that gain you a bit of extra exhaust flow?
I got them made at work - but i don't work there anymore so cant help ya out sorry.
Do you still have your VL ?

I thought about that but am a bit clueless about cams - do you have any experience with different cams and what to choose ?
Old 22-08-18, 16:01   #255
madrx3boy
Gold Members

No worries man, I should buy the rest of the stuff first before going to the trouble of making brackets! I'd completely forgotten about these and have been looking into wilwoods - but they are super expensive! I'll probably be able to do the entire Cadillac setup for less than what it would cost to ship a pair of decent wilwood calipers here!

Yeah still have my VL (not the one in my pic, sold that 6 years ago). Have a Royale, in pieces for the foreseeable future haha - working on a turbo LS1 conversion.

Im pretty clueless about cams as well sorry - probably best to talk to a few reputable cam shops to see what they suggest - cam specs are gibberish to me!
Old 22-08-18, 16:16   #256
ZOO222
Gold Members

Quote:
No worries man, I should buy the rest of the stuff first before going to the trouble of making brackets! I'd completely forgotten about these and have been looking into wilwoods - but they are super expensive! I'll probably be able to do the entire Cadillac setup for less than what it would cost to ship a pair of decent wilwood calipers here!

Yeah still have my VL (not the one in my pic, sold that 6 years ago). Have a Royale, in pieces for the foreseeable future haha - working on a turbo LS1 conversion.

Im pretty clueless about cams as well sorry - probably best to talk to a few reputable cam shops to see what they suggest - cam specs are gibberish to me!

Hahahaha yeah you probably should. Just make sure you try get a 3d print of the bracket first to make sure the caliper is in the middle of the disc. I know i got that off by about 5mm in the drawing and changed it in real life only.
The Cadillac calipers are so cheap and I can't fault them. The cert guy was impressed with how well it pulled up.

Ohhhh what. LS1 seems like such a good option. How long you been working on it etc ??

Yeah fair point. I should really start a money box for a rebuilt engine, even if its just stockish parts. Its currently got a piston from my mates garage floor after one of my original ones cracked a ringland.

Old 22-08-18, 17:28   #257
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Thanks for the advice! I'd also like to see if I can find some rear calipers in the same sort of style as the fronts, maybe 2-pot versions if they exists. The ATS-V rears seem to just be standard single-pot floating types.

I bought the car 2 and a bit years ago, it sat around til the end of that year then I sold the motor and box. Bought an injected 5L, then soon after I spotted an LS1 for a good price so made the decision then and there to buy it and do a turbo conversion on it.

It's costing a fair bit to do though, which is why it's taking so long! Also because I want to do it all at once - brakes, diff, suspension. I've got the same XYZ setup as you - fronts are in and man I see what you mean about how low they can go!

I think I need to start a money box too haha
Old 22-08-18, 20:20   #258
ZOO222
Gold Members

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I'd also like to see if I can find some rear calipers in the same sort of style as the fronts, maybe 2-pot versions if they exists. The ATS-V rears seem to just be standard single-pot floating types.

I bought the car 2 and a bit years ago, it sat around til the end of that year then I sold the motor and box. Bought an injected 5L, then soon after I spotted an LS1 for a good price so made the decision then and there to buy it and do a turbo conversion on it.

It's costing a fair bit to do though, which is why it's taking so long! Also because I want to do it all at once - brakes, diff, suspension. I've got the same XYZ setup as you - fronts are in and man I see what you mean about how low they can go!

I think I need to start a money box too haha
Maybe if you used some skyline rears or something ? Not sure what the Americans use for upgrades like that. Maybe 350z?
This might help you with ideas if you can fabricate - same guy I copied for the front brake setup.

What made you decide to go turbo on the LS1 and not just run it NA with a cam, extractors and a tune? You got a build thread somewhere ?

Fair enough wanting to do it all at the same time. Save going back over old stuff. I can't compare the XYZs to anything but the standard setup but dam they are a game changer. Still soft enough for the street but handle pukekohe well.

You've really got me thinking about the cam. Time to get lost in a few hours of youtube.

Last edited by ZOO222; 22-08-18 at 20:25.
Old 25-08-18, 06:57   #259
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Yeah some Nissan 2-pots might be an option. Couple of questions I thought ght of with the Caddy calipers:
Did you have to swap the bleeder valves around, so they're at the top when you mount them in the VL? (As I believe the ATS has the calipers mounted on the trailing end)

And when looking at the face of the rotor (where the wheel would sit), does the caliper stick out further? Or sit flush? Or back from the rotor face? Bit hard to explain sorry!

Oh the car was always going to have a turbo, I toyed with the idea of RB30ET, RB30ETT, turbo on the Injected 5L, or LS turbo. Settled on the LS as they're easy to make lots of power from. No build thread yet, one day that might happen!
Old 25-08-18, 09:20   #260
ZOO222
Gold Members

Quote:
Yeah some Nissan 2-pots might be an option. Couple of questions I thought ght of with the Caddy calipers:
Did you have to swap the bleeder valves around, so they're at the top when you mount them in the VL? (As I believe the ATS has the calipers mounted on the trailing end)

And when looking at the face of the rotor (where the wheel would sit), does the caliper stick out further? Or sit flush? Or back from the rotor face? Bit hard to explain sorry!

Oh the car was always going to have a turbo, I toyed with the idea of RB30ET, RB30ETT, turbo on the Injected 5L, or LS turbo. Settled on the LS as they're easy to make lots of power from. No build thread yet, one day that might happen!
Ahhh nah I think I maybe just put the left on the right and the right on the left. Been a while since I looked at them.

Do you mean left to right like the drawing or as if the caliper was coming closer to your face ?

You can only go as small as an 18 inch rim according to the guy who's mod thread I followed says. A 17 might squeeze on.
If you mean the caliper coming toward your face. I'd have to get measurements off a stock one and compare. It probably comes closer to your
face by a small bit, but the modern designed caliper might not be much thicker then the old sliding setup. All just ball park though without actual measurements.
Would be interesting to see if it's past the face of the disc where the back of the rim would sit. Never thought to look

Do you have fb. Easier to chat then this old schoolness even though it's keeping CT alive
Old 25-08-18, 12:35   #261
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOO222 View Post
Do you have fb. Easier to chat then this old schoolness even though it's keeping CT alive
Yeah man have just pmd you (here on CT) with a link