CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back > Technical > Engines, Turbos, Exhausts, Intercoolers
Tyres Now

Old 07-02-03, 19:17   #1
Trader Rating: (0)
Changing gasket b/w turbo and exhaust manifold

Hi everyone.

Do you need to take the turbo off in order to replace the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo (where the exhaust housing bolts to the exhaust manifold). I have a leak at this join and i need to change this gasket. I rang up a turbo place and i am sure they said that the turbo comes out. I don't know why because the exhaust manifold has to come off 1st to take the turbo out??? There is no way you can take the exhaust manifold out still bolted to the turbo.... not enough room I dont think. I must be doing something wrong.........??
jhevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 20:47   #2
Car: E36 M3
Turbo and manifold come out as a complete assembly. Basically take off the crossover pipe, heat shields etc. Undo the oil and coolant lines from the block (not the turbo). Undo 3 nuts holding tail pipe to turbo dump pipe. Undo the exhaust manifold from the head.

All should come out pretty easy. Only real issue you may have is getting access to some of the exhaust manifold bolts.

Separating the turbo from the manifold in the car is probably next to impossible (if not impossible).
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 20:52   #3
Car: GQ Patrol, Moded Sierra
Send a message via MSN to bluvlt
Depends what turbo and dump pipe u have, I cant take my turbo and manifold off in one piece, just because off the dump pipe, cant undo half the bolts till the turbo/dump pipe are out of the car, If its just a standard turbo and dump pipe then its as shonky said, 2 of the bolts are a real ******* to get too (on exhaust manifold) the two behind the turbo itself.
bluvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 21:55   #4
Gold Members
Trader Rating: (23)
ive done a few gaskets std turbo, dump, manifold, just cut a ring spanner in half and u can get the 4 bolts and lever the front of the exhaust pipe to pull the turbo down a bit, and slide it in, took bout 20 mins saves taking turbo off
JD Custom Automotive ph. 0410 597 533 plenums from $800, piping kits $600,
dyno tuning ls1, ls2, ba-fg, hptuners/vcm suite
jdcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 10:03   #5
I can get to the 4 bolts b/w the manifold and turbo no worries. I've got a short 17mm ring spanner. Will do the job perfectly. Just a bit of a squeez. My only concern is bending the water/oil lines. Every place i have rung up say they unbolt these lines incase they crack or bend. That means filling up the coolant again as it will leak out once the water line hose is taken from the block. Im sure i can do it without taking the turbo out. Just have to make sure i dont bend the water/oil lines i guess.
jhevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 17:25   #6
Car: R32 GTS-t 4 Door, TRX Bluebird SR20DET track car
Trader Rating: (1)
The lines are long enough to move the turbo without bending them.
Leave the lines connected and just pull the turbo down like jdcustom said.
Dam the under 2l class is quicker than the over 2l...
twinvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-03, 21:20   #7
R31 Boy
Yeah I like the teflon coated lines for that reason
U can bend them wherever the hell u like!
R31 Boy is offline   Reply With Quote