GRUNT Performance

Old 06-09-02, 22:35   #1
my88vl
Player

Car: Toyota Surf
Trader Rating: (0)
On the Bottle - Mildly VS related

Hey guys,

I'm toying with the idea of bottle feeding my VS. OZRACE do wet NOS systems for like $1200 with everything except install, which i can get done for nothing from a pro.

The can run to 75 shot of NOS into stock internals and claim that there's no engine damage, my question is, Is it worth it??
Old 06-09-02, 23:32   #2
lobe grinder
Player

If your engine is in good nick, well yeah! Sorta i guess. Its definately the most power gain you'll get, but there are a few things to think of first.

For that intial $1200 or whatever, you will use the bottle, then need to refill it. How many times are you willing to fill the bottle? If your only racing every couple of months, then $1200 could be spent elsewhere and used more often.

You must get it tuned, that will cost money and nitrous before you even race, if you don't you could blow your engine.

Watch out for cops, although i guess your car doesn't look like a defect magnet.

Other than that, you will go farkin fast!
lobe grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 11:17   #3
my88vl
Player

Fitting and Dyno testing i can get done through a brother of the boss at work, so thats not really an issue.

The engine is in pretty good nick internally and has never skipped a beat.

As for the re-fills, BOC give 10% off to OZRACE customers, but i think Nitrous Oxide is still REALLY expensive.

I'd probably be racing every fortnight in the car, so it would get used. And unfortunatly, its illegal to carry a NOS bottle in the car with you. So i'd have to keep it strictly for Race use only.

Would i be better spending say an extra $3000 and getting something like a Blower which doesn't require any on-going costs?
Old 07-09-02, 14:50   #4
lobe grinder
Player

Well i guess its totally up to you. I like the blower idea, That way you can always get your value out of it, everytime you drive your car.
Although if you want to sell the car, then you could just pull the nitrous kit off and sell it seperately. Nos would be ideal for drag racing however.
And what if Taiwanese gangsters pull out their uzis and shoot up your car!
You'd be in a whole world of trouble then! :P
Old 07-09-02, 17:56   #5
my88vl
Player

I guess ya have a point...

I do like the idea of NOS but then when you think about it, i could only use it on the track.

A blower is probably the go
Old 07-09-02, 18:23   #6
Weq
Player

i thought it was only illegal for you to have an armed NOS system setup (in NSW anyways). ie, u can buy 'quick' disarming kits. Even if u get NOS setup, u would want it stelthy installed so coppers would have no idea to complain even if it was disarmed.. do some searches on google for more info..

-Weq
Weq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 20:05   #7
platinum
Administrator

Car: E-Series HSV Senator
Trader Rating: (14)
I think i've read the rule is that you arn't allowed to have the bottle connected on the street...
platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 00:39   #8
my88vl
Player

Yeah in NSW you can have the system in the car, and the bottle in there but the system must be disarmed by an A-1 rated thing....

In QLD, you aren't allowed to carry a bottle of Nitrous Oxide in a vehicle that isn't registered as a dangerous chemicals transporter.

The system can be connected, and obviously disconnected.

For the sake of keeping things slightly legal, i'm gonna put the pennies away for a Vortech
Old 08-09-02, 15:04   #9
Weq
Player

would a turbo be cheaper, ive seen eh prices of these supers and they get pricey.. Or arnt there turbo's made fro VS's ?

-Weq
Weq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 20:48   #10
lobe grinder
Player

Yeah the blower is quite a good idea. Turbos need manifolds and you'd have to get a custom one made up which would cost many $.
Now all you have to do is worry about how many tyres you're gonna go through in a year :twisted:
Old 08-09-02, 23:09   #11
my88vl
Player

I thought about a turbo, but as Lobe said, its not really an option on a VS.

I've looked at the Vortech blowers on the net and thats the way i want to go, so all the pennies are goin away for that.

And as for tyres... i don't even wanna think about that just yet.