Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Non-Turbo Discussion
Tyres Now

Old 05-12-06, 15:13   #101
nishmix
no turbo lag 4 me

Car: 1987 VL SL 5 spd Supercharged
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to nishmix
im not exactly sure what you have done, but i would belive that the gauge is reading completely wrong.no way would your charger be boosting that much, and if it was i wouldnt be to worried about your supercharger as much as your engine.
it may have something to do with were it is hooked up to.
nishmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 15:16   #102
Warpspeed
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockyMcStock
look, i'm only going to say this once more.

fit a bypass valve, or it will be impossible to drive normally.

even after all the time tony and i have spent helping you guys out, you still can't get the message.

i give up.
Only one idea.

FIT A PROPER SUPERCHARGER BYPASS SYSTEM TO IT. Every production supercharged car has a bypass system. But then of course, the professional automotive design engineers at Jaguar, Mercedes Benz, General Motors, Toyota and Nissan are all complete fools and morons, and know nothing at all about supercharging.

I give up too. You guys just don't listen.
Old 05-12-06, 15:35   #103
nishmix
no turbo lag 4 me

i was actually referring to how they were mounted, because i actually want to do this,
i was just after a bit of information so i could get it done.

so i actually was listening, just trying to find out a bit more information.

Last edited by nishmix; 05-12-06 at 15:49.
Old 05-12-06, 15:51   #104
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

Car: 2012 ExtraCab Hilux 4X4, RB30DET 180SX
Trader Rating: (19)
move your boost guage also.. put it on the intake..

Just hurry up and blow your motor, Get a turbo and bedone with it.
Old 05-12-06, 16:30   #105
vlwagz
Gold Members

Car: VLT berlina wagon
Trader Rating: (11)
my boost guage is in piping just before the plenum would that cause the crazy reading. ill put it where you said matty.

i am going to put a wastegate on my setup and as i have said before i want to get it running ok first then ill get one. so i am listening i wouldnt have been able to do it without everyones help. and i appreciate it.
vlwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 17:07   #106
nishmix
no turbo lag 4 me

o and please dont blow your motor
Old 05-12-06, 17:08   #107
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

well i was told it was a breather so i thought putting a little filter over it and still leeting it breathe would be better that just blocking it and not letting it breather???

... bloody hell.... take that off..

also, the other one at the front, take it off, Take the thing it connects onto on the intake and get a bolt to block that off also.

once thats done it will work ALOT better... gees..
Old 05-12-06, 17:17   #108
nishmix
no turbo lag 4 me

he was only asking for some help, whats with all the hostility???
Old 05-12-06, 17:24   #109
E-Z
token giraffe guy

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via MSN to E-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlwagz
my boost guage is in piping just before the plenum would that cause the crazy reading. ill put it where you said matty.

i am going to put a wastegate on my setup and as i have said before i want to get it running ok first then ill get one. so i am listening i wouldnt have been able to do it without everyones help. and i appreciate it.
are you mentally retarded?

i am going to put a wastegate on my setup and as i have said before i want to get it running ok first then ill get one.

it wont run ok untill you have the idle bypass, you sir are a moron.
E-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 17:28   #110
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

E-Z And I supercharged his and My Vls... we know what goes on. we have been there and done it all...

now both of us have VLts. wonder why..
Old 05-12-06, 18:06   #111
vlwagz
Gold Members

i dont know what ur problems are or if its just that time of the month but i dont know to much about this thats why i ask question but not to get a smart ass like you to start giving me ****. i may be a moron but atleast im not a prick.
Old 06-12-06, 07:11   #112
Warpspeed
Player

Car:
First you ask someone to provide you with a picture of a wastegate. Try looking on e-bay if you have never seen a wastegate before.

Then you ask for help and we give you specific advice which you decide to totally ignore without any acknowledgment.

Then you say you just want to get the engine running right before you fix the problem. That just ain't going to happen.

And you wonder why people are rude and short tempered and just cannot be bothered.

Well I have spent HOURS writing long detailed explanations about these exact same issues, trying to help people to understand, and work around these exact same problems. Others later appear asking identical questions over and over again, and when I suggest to do a search that may take a little time, that is just far too much trouble for them.

Turbos are great, but supercharges have many advantages. All the fastest drag cars run superchargers. That must tell you something. When there is a top fuel turbo class that can run four seconds I may change my mind about that. If it could be done, people would have done it long ago.

But with street supercharging, like anything else, you have to understand what you are doing, and do it right to get anything like a good result.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing, we are all learning.

But next time you ask a question, try being a bit more specific, and be patient and polite enough to listen and respond to any answer. Then THANK the person that helped you out of your difficulty.

If you approach this in a more sensible and mature way, vast numbers of people on this Forum will go out of their way to try to help.
Old 06-12-06, 08:40   #113
nishmix
no turbo lag 4 me

umm i was actually the one asking about the wastegate.
i wanted to see how and were people like yourself had mounted it.
so if i could see a pic it would be great.
Old 06-12-06, 09:26   #114
Warpspeed
Player

Car:
There are a whole lot of different answers to that depending on if there is an intercooler fitted, and where the airflow meter is located.

If there is no intercooler, the best place for the airflow meter is before the supercharger. It will see more stable air temperatures there. The wastegate can be mounted anywhere on the induction pipe between blower and throttle body, and it must be plumbed back into the blower intake AFTER the airflow meter.

With a big front mount cooler, the airflow meter can be mounted after the intercooler closer to the throttle body. It will work better there because temperatures are more stable, but most importantly the AFM will respond much faster to throttle changes where there is a lot of pipe volume in the cooler. The bypass can be mounted anywhere between blower outlet and airflow meter, and the bypass should be plumbed back to the blower inlet after the aircleaner.

Wherever the bypass goes, it must be able to open and close without effecting the air flow meter. The same air volume must flow through both AFM and throttle body. No external venting allowed.

So how exactly to do this depends on where the airflow meter is, and if there is an intercooler. Every installation will be a bit different.

Last edited by Warpspeed; 06-12-06 at 09:43.
Warpspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 09:56   #115
nishmix
no turbo lag 4 me

great thanks for that,
im putting on an intercooler in the near future and that info wil be very helpful.
should be fairly easy to do,
just another quick Q, what does the supercharged VT use for there wastegate? im going to look at a friends soon but was curious if i could use the one out of that car?
Old 06-12-06, 10:28   #116
Warpspeed
Player

Car:
The air bypass system on the VT is actually built inside the Eaton supercharger. It is like a throttle butterfly, but you cannot see it because it is part of the blower casting and hidden inside. But if you look closely, near the back of the supercharger is a black metal can that looks exactly like a wastegate actuator. It has a small rubber hose, and a push rod and lever, that disappears into the guts of the supercharger.

This black metal can is controlled by the engine management system. It does all sorts of really clever things like not allowing boost in reverse gear, or if the engine is not up to full operating temperature, or if the engine is badly overheating.

So the whole thing is just not transferable onto any other engine. All the factory supercharged cars are now like that, they use the engine management system to control the supercharger air bypass system. Convenient for them, totally useless for us.

The only non electronic supercharger air bypass is on the early Toyota supercharged engines. Even that is built into a very intricate inlet manifold casting, and is not usable on a different engine. (it actually looks a bit like a thermostat housing).

So we get to use a common garden variety turbo external wastegate to do exactly the same job. Maybe not quite so clever, but it is something any of us can get working fairly easily without any electronics. And it works just as well as a factory system once you have a suitable spring for it sorted out.
Old 06-12-06, 10:48   #117
vlwagz
Gold Members

im pretty sure every time i have asked a question i have thanked them and told them it is appreciated. but like you said we are learning thats why i ask alot of questions. i never was a smart ass to anyone always tried to be polite because they are going out of there way to help me.

also why wouldnt the car just run ok without the bypass i thought that was to make the driving more comfortable i even asked this question some where but got nothing.

i have tried everything that people have told me and they havent worked so im not ignoring what people are saying just asking another question because the first idea didint work.

i have worked out the big boost spikes but im not getting boost im just getting out of vacume. it sits at about 15-20 in vacume then when i turn the charger on it doeasnt move until i accelerate then it gets up to 0 at about 2 grand. any ideas.

thanks in advance

Last edited by vlwagz; 06-12-06 at 10:50.
Old 06-12-06, 10:56   #118
nishmix
no turbo lag 4 me

gauge wont show much untill engine is under load, try driving it, not just free revving. see how that goes.
plant your foot a little in drive.
Old 06-12-06, 11:19   #119
vlwagz
Gold Members

yeah i have tried driving it but it just wont go past 0. also sould it be running on about 5psi as soon as i switch it on because it builds its way up its not there straight away?

cheers
Old 06-12-06, 13:20   #120
Warpspeed
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlwagz

also why wouldnt the car just run ok without the bypass i thought that was to make the driving more comfortable i even asked this question some where but got nothing.
The air bypass system is not some optional luxury that you can just decide to leave out. It is A FUNDAMENTAL PART of the supercharger system whenever the throttle is located up stream of a positive displacement supercharger.

Several of us have already told you this. So don't pretend your problem is due to nobody here trying to help you.

If there is still no boost, either the supercharger is not being driven fast enough (unlikely), or there is a truly massive boost leak somewhere (equally unlikely).

Last edited by Warpspeed; 06-12-06 at 13:22.
Warpspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 15:55   #121
vlwagz
Gold Members

i never said nobody is trying to help i was trying to say im not to sure exactly what the bypass does and was just asking do i need it for the charger to run properly or to be able to drive it properly. IM LEARNING.
if i knew all this i wouldnt be asking for help.

i still have problems with it that im still trying to work out.

thankyou to everyone that has helped me with my sc conversion.
Old 06-12-06, 16:16   #122
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

we are all happy to help, but some things you are just doing wrong and wont listen to what we say.

Make your questions more clear and you will get very clear and indeapth answers to solve just about every problem that arises.
Old 06-12-06, 16:47   #123
vlwagz
Gold Members

i try to make it as clear as i can but i dont know all the technical lingo all you guys know so i try to explain it in a simple way that i can under stand.

i have tried to do absolutely everyhting you guys have told me but like i said i dont know alot of the technical stuff so i ask alot the questions twice because i didnt understand it the first time.

does anybody have any idea why i wouldnt be getting boost i have had a look for eaks but cant find any at all could it maybe be the pulley size isnt spinning the charger enough or something?

cheers
Old 06-12-06, 17:00   #124
E-Z
token giraffe guy

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via MSN to E-Z
ps you havent done everything, where is the bypass?
E-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:05   #125
vlwagz
Gold Members

well i dont have as of yet but i have been looking at them over the last 2 weeks but like i said i dont know to much about em so i dont really know what i need warpspeed told me roughly what i need i have been looking on ebay at a 40mm monsta one would they do the job?

this is it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MONSTA-40MM-W...QQcmdZViewItem

cheers