User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Non-Turbo Discussion
GRUNT Performance

Old 15-12-07, 08:06   #51
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
alright 50 posts.
ok here goes for another update my car is wearing new shoes up front, federal 225 40s on the walky rims. still got slicks on the back (ooh its raining today...)

thursday nighgt i had a date and was planning on going for a quiet drive along the beach or into the dandy ranges. my car had other plans though stalling on me and refusing to start.
after about 3 hours of racv, towtruck thgen a taxi home i woke up the next morning and gave the details to my mecahnic (Argus automotive 95 argus st just off of warrigul rd) he said it sounded like a cas but after a fiddle he came back and said id done a timing belt. seems it was well ovcerdue for a change. good news - 3hrs labour and say 60 for a belt, bad news when you do timing belts and the car is running there is a chance of pistons hitting valves... new motor.

anyway i opted to have a new belt fitted and drove away friday arvo with a timing belt and some fan belts and the car is running fine after that scare.

what else is going on? well the car is about to make a drive over to S.A. for xmas with family. there is a boot install in the proces with amps mounted and a beautywall madfe now i just have to tidy up the spare wheel cover and a floorboard etc. it is covered in black fluff. sound alright?

also i picked up a calais garnish i am going to restorer and sell on (shoot me a pm if you want one) aswell as a new bumper centre and a turbocrossover (they look cool and i want one! now i just ned everything else...).

catch ya ron and merry christmas and a drunken new years to all of those who read my thread.

p.s. i have been in contact with the previous owner of CZN 060 and he is keen for an email but i have issues with my cvomputer at the moment so i can't send him photos.
Old 29-12-07, 17:50   #52
SIroller
CAL.415

well, car had a service and went to and from adelaide (from melbourne via shepparton and swanhill) with absolutely no problems.

for the big trip i also did another few little things...
new wiper blades
leaky exhaust gasket fixed
BMC air filter
sorted out intermittent brake light issues
fixed a vn calais dash badge to the vk calais centre garnish

dash cluster still needs fixing
also in the recent melbourne rains i learned just how bad ly my taillights leak, (the vk calais ones) they were full of water up to the level of the globes.

further news i blew a tyre yesterday while at the beach, damn what a waste.
nearly the end of the holidays and i am broke and no closer to getting an immobiliser. ah well.

saw a few boys on the highway last night (at warri road shell and up towards monash uni)
Old 13-01-08, 16:44   #53
NOB00ST
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
dude no offence but you have destroyed a good example of a calais..
NOB00ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-08, 18:31   #54
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOB00ST
dude no offence but you have destroyed a good example of a calais..
cheers. i have retained all of the original parts and have in fact restored it to better condition in many aspects. the only non returnable thing is holes in the front doorskins.

i returned it to stock rims, resprayed the asteroid, removed parts like chrome strips and calais garnish and put them in storage. and it makes me sad sometimes BUT some things just had to be changed. for example the front seats were declared unroadworthy TWICE and hence to keep my car registered i had to replace them. also the worn through seats are in storage and the dash which has screwed itself i am in the process of learning how to fix by practicing on other ones.

point is i do what i can to keep my car in good order and i respect it unlike some people who have no concept or understanding of what their car is and isnt. as you could tell by reading my posts, i have a very good idea of the cars history and what it is and what i am putting into it. i love my car and am still in contact with the previous owner. how many of you can say that about your cars?

cheers mate

dude who the hell are you? iafter a look at your posts and threads, i see no details on your car and you seem to do a lot of bashing, get a life, people like my car and most importantly i like my car. i do it properly the first time because i intend to own this car well into my old age

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYETZR
spotted GMHJC at hungry jacks in the Sleeper
also at chapel spotted COP088 (the EX PROGMH)
with NOTRBO and a red calais turbo!
also saw the hottest White VL turbo
full custom beige interior leather!
looked mint, stock plates on it too
got spotted with NOTRBO and cop088... i not a turbo though must have been a misleading exhaust note.

Last edited by SIroller; 14-01-08 at 20:06. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 16:36   #55
SIroller
CAL.415

time for another update i think!

fitted my cruise control spare parts and now that is fixed.
fixed my odometer by replacig a broken cog. up to 409,5** km now
bought a new standard airbox top half today as mine is cracked. will fit later in the week i suppose.
my walkinshaw rims are cleaned and polished and are being fitted with 235/40 r16s this week i will have them bolted up australia day weekend.
also i have been accepted as a gold member of this site and just made tghe internet transaction of my fees.
also i should have an immobiliser asap as i have heaps of cash at the moment but the other side is i have to think about uni book fees and rent. but still i am close.

went out today with a mate andy who just updated from a tn/m/p first generation magna into his parents old sl stationwagon (vl)
we did a wreckers yard run around, joly rogers and ELV, we got him a hi rise console, a sunnies holder, berlina front door trims and armrests, carpeted kick panels, also grey ashtrays for the rear armrests (not those bloody blue ones you find in vls) as well as a horn pad and i think a few other bits and pieces.

Your car is a Holden Calais Sedan
From the factory it was equipped with the Non-Turbo Nissan RB30E producing 114kw at the flywheel.
It was produced in 1987 at the Adelaide plant with a serial number of 24273

JUST DID THE VIN CALCULATOR AND THESE WERE THE RESULTS

Last edited by SIroller; 23-01-08 at 17:50. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-01-08, 20:39   #56
Raptor
Anjunabeats!

Car:
Trader Rating: (11)
Man i gotta give it to you, as a brother with a red calais, loose the rear and try and get a normal one vl spec, it wrecks the car..
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 20:42   #57
YTRY
BANNED

Car: not some lie
Trader Rating: (0)
yep agree its a calais not a exec bitza put ur pin strip stuff back on NOW
YTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 21:13   #58
SIroller
CAL.415

lol, boys yeah the vk calais lights gave out on me the other day, the glue went all soft and the lens was drooping off. so when i head home for aust day i think what you two are saying is exactly what i will do. also how do you feel about the vk calais bootmould? with the chrome and red pinstriping as oposed to all black?

by the way YTRY i couldnt find that black piece for you, all of them were weather faded.

Last edited by SIroller; 23-01-08 at 21:15. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-02-08, 08:07   #59
SIroller
CAL.415

vlc rear end fitted and taken out last night for everyone on the hwy to have a look at.
Old 11-02-08, 17:01   #60
SIroller
CAL.415

bought a complete vkc rear end yesterday at the wreckers and i am going to restore it and tack it on with some urethane. (i like the chrome strip as opposed to the allll black vlc item)

got walky rims re balanced after smacking it coming out of my driveway and unbalancing it.

doing a bit of a shed cleanout atm aswell check my sig for links to my threads.

getting dynamat soon really need it, also a 1" master cylinder and vlt / vlv8 master booster.
Old 20-02-08, 11:47   #61
SIroller
CAL.415

new immobiliser installed, super sensitive just got to take it back to get pager working and fix up randomn issue with interior lights staying on. they must have crimped a wire somewhere while installing the immobiliser / alarm / pager

big thanks to STYLIN bentliegh once again
Old 22-02-08, 16:37   #62
SIroller
CAL.415

1" master and v8 booster rocked up today, they look mint except there has been a bit of brake fluid left in it and it has eaten some paint off of the booster.

edit - oh and i left my window open today and the wind set off the motion sensors inside the car... sweet

Last edited by SIroller; 22-02-08 at 16:37. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-03-08, 14:05   #63
SIroller
CAL.415

rocker cover wrinkle red fitted. what a drama that was... i did it way to early in the morning and hadn't tightened the screws properly, to add to that i drove 30km to town before noticing and had lost about half of my oil, it was smoking away on the heatshield. i bought a screwdriver and some oil at repco and that was easily sorted.

alsio fitted my V8 / VLT booster but not the master cylinder... booster was a bitch to fit but we suceeded and i feel pretty bloody achieved about it all. for starters the booster is smaller diameter but thicker, so the master cylinder sits lower in ther engine bay and further out. it doesn't line up using the same bracket and little did i know... all of the brake lines that screw into it don't line up either. to add to that, the 1" master cylinder i have couldn't go on because the secondary piston is jammed, so that is off to get rebuilt, no use putting it on if it isn't working.

so on the upside i now know how to fit a rocker cover, a booster and master cylinder and bleed brakes. thats a pretty big weekend considering it was a day and a bits worth of work.

also took a heap of photos of my car in bits aswell as down at the local creek and i will post some of them up asap.

also sourced a vlt plenum and fuel rail from vkweapon, to be fitted next time i have the car apart.

update -

model - VL Calais S1 (1986)
colour - Marinello red over asteroid silver
engine - N/A RB30
transmission - Automatic 4spd stock
Fuel type - dual gas / ulp
interior colour - Beige

mods -
red interior lights
white venetians
new doormoulds
2nd hand grille
resprayed all asteroid silver
front bumper
restored calais garnish
soundproofed with bitumen paint
knox auto carpet ginger carpet and underlay
a/c control unit
phillips blue vision globes
vs doorpods
lpg stickers
new calais taillights
boot rubbers
locknuts and chrome wheelnuts
vn calais seats on s2 rails
immobiliser and pager
white walky rims (16x7 fitted with 225 50r16s)
vl turbo brake booster and fluid flush
wrinkle red rocker cover
fixed all window electrics
replaced cruise control
repaired broken odometer
S2 calais rear seats with s1 headrests
fitted new oil pressure sender
2 1/4" stock turbo exhaust (pretty sure it has a gutted muffler)
BMC high flow air filter
new timing and fan belts at about 400*** km
new wiper blades
leaky exhaust gasket fixed
new standard airbox top half (was a vs spec one)
battery cover

to do -
fit 1" master cylinder.
repaint and fit VKC bootmould and taillamp surround
repaint + new sticker on vlc garnish
new front bumper centre and drivers side
replace wiring harness for rear taillights (have one sitting at home)
fit turbo inlet manifold and fuel rail
replace blocked injector

Last edited by SIroller; 10-03-08 at 14:25. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14-03-08, 17:16   #64
SIroller
CAL.415

second hand taillamp wiring harness fitted, brakelights are still tempremental (goddamn $hitty wiring it hasn't aged well) so i have another taillamp harness which when i get some money for some wire i will be having a crack at rewiring a completely new harness.
Old 18-03-08, 14:21   #65
SIroller
CAL.415

ok process opics of putting in the new booster and rocker cover.

engine bay before -
new vs old brake booster and master cylinder ( new master cylinder not fitted yet) -

engine bay after -

a pic of underneath my car taken while the rear calipers were up in the air getting bled -

in the old man's shed -

a few other recent pics -

at C4C4 -

plastic primed VKC rear end in the process -
also have a rear passenger doormould and a calais mould half way through prep

and finally all cleaned up -

Last edited by SIroller; 18-03-08 at 14:23. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18-03-08, 15:04   #66
Bealzy
UG Hip Hop extrodinaire

Car: VLCT + TD Hilux
Trader Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
to do -
fit turbo inlet manifold and fuel rail
why would u put a turbo manifold on? from what ive heard the N/A one's flow better.
Old 18-03-08, 17:12   #67
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bealzy
why would u put a turbo manifold on? from what ive heard the N/A one's flow better.
2 reasons.
1. turbo manifolds take up less room and in my opinion look better
2. eventually i want a pretty stock A8 or A8 replica engine.

plus the flow loss is pretty minimal like 2% who cares? i am not chasing 8 second passes. by the time my turbo is all hooked up i recon i will be old enough to be happy with 150 - 200kw
Old 18-03-08, 17:33   #68
Bealzy
UG Hip Hop extrodinaire

Car: VLCT + TD Hilux
Trader Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
2 reasons.
1. turbo manifolds take up less room and in my opinion look better
2. eventually i want a pretty stock A8 or A8 replica engine.

plus the flow loss is pretty minimal like 2% who cares? i am not chasing 8 second passes. by the time my turbo is all hooked up i recon i will be old enough to be happy with 150 - 200kw

should get a turbo badge, they add 15kw.
Old 18-03-08, 19:28   #69
SIroller
CAL.415

really? is red better or the silver?
Old 21-03-08, 12:13   #70
Calais_Nv
Player

Car: Maloo
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to Calais_Nv
engine bay is lookin sweet as man. show us pics of the vk boot peice when its done. also id ditch the white walkies to
Calais_Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-08, 16:30   #71
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais_Nv
engine bay is lookin sweet as man. show us pics of the vk boot peice when its done. also id ditch the white walkies to
cheers man! always good to get some support.
i went to easternats on saturda and was inspired to finish off all the painting i had (rear garnish, vkc bootmould, door mould,) so i went and bought a new bumper mould and some more grey primer and hit it!

only i hit some snags this arvo, ran out of wax and grease remover so i went and got some but a different brand. - problem... it stripped the gloss black off of my garnish and i think i might have to start again.

second problem - i went and got some asteroid touch up paint to paint lines on the garnish and bootmould and screwed up the bootmould when my phone rang... i was so concentrated i was scared by my mobile and spilt paint on the bootmould so i think i wil be rubbing that back and starting again aswell.

on the upside, the holden badge for the calais rear looks schmick as do the taillamp surrrounds which have been treated to a few clearcoats and silver striping where the VKC red would be.

on another happy note my shed is very very clean a the moment and i scored a bumper end and a vl 5 speed gearknob in a beige that matches my interior (that came from a skyline) so there is something to aspire to (5 spd gearbox whoo!)

- mitcham
Old 23-03-08, 17:31   #72
Calais_Nv
Player

Car: Maloo
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to Calais_Nv
ahh sucks about the garnish , musta been pretty strong stuff to strip the shine! shore it wasnt paint thinners lol
Calais_Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-08, 18:09   #73
SIroller
CAL.415

either way i won't be using it again past the primer stage... just went and had a look, what a shame i am very dissapointed.
Old 01-04-08, 11:11   #74
SIroller
CAL.415

bought a new garnish sticker from beazley on saturday, 3 days ago, coming back from his house ny car backfired and wouldn't idle, seems it has blown a lycra cover that covers holes in the crossover so 1 the engine wasn't getting enough gas from the mixer and 2 the afm wasn't reading much airflow. the lycra is cable tied on for the moment.
Old 05-04-08, 03:15   #75
HDT-VLCLE
The irregular one

Trader Rating: (34)
its looking good mitch, i'm liking where its going.

The walkys are nice, something a bit different for a change. Oh and i saw you out at the shell servo on the orner of warrigul road maybe 2~3 weekends ago? I waved but I don't think you saw me.
[/RANT]
HDT-VLCLE is offline   Reply With Quote