CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Engines, Turbos, Exhausts, Intercoolers
Tyres Now

Old 23-02-04, 22:02   #1
86-Jet
Player

Car: 86 Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
New head on VLCT

Guys, ive just got my new head fitted. I had to buy another head (remanufactured one) due to the first one cracking. My mechanic had put everything together and when i was there today, the radiator was out and they had the hose running through the thermostat flushing out my cooling system. Anyway, they started it and i let it idle for a couple of mins then i gave it a few revs from the accelerator cable and it felt more powerfully stronger. I mean, i didnt get in it and drive coz the radiator was out but when i revved it, i could feel a massive difference compared to my old head. Even b4 my 1st head cracked, when i'd rev it on idle, it wouldnt be as responsive as it is now. Cant wait to pick it up when its ready and drive it. It idled beautifully and remarkably smooth.
ok, ill get to the point now... My question is why the head feels so much more responsive and stronger and why does it rev so perfectly? Its really hard for me to explain and i hope someone does sorta get what im saying here. Its feels like it has something to do with the compression.
Would higher or lower compression give it that "responsive" feeling when revving in park/neutral? Could it be the vavle springs thats doing it as the new head came with new springs, vavles, valve seats, guides etc.
If anyone could give me any opinions on what they think, it'd be great. Im jus curious to know.
thanks people
86-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-04, 22:29   #2
StockyMcStock
NEED A NEW AVATAR

Car: Twincharged RB30DE
Trader Rating: (7)
new valves+seats plus slightly higher compression could do that, maybe your old head was leaking badly or something?
StockyMcStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-04, 23:35   #3
86-Jet
Player

Car: 86 Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
Definately! Ur spot on right there dude! U know what im talkin bout. I thought it may've had something to do with the compression. I just hope the compression hasnt increased too much over the standard VLT compression if it has coz im running 12-13psi boost with T3 HiFlow. I think my head was leakin pretty hard for me to be able to notice now with the new head and stuff. I just couldnt tell 100% with the old head that it had a leak but everytime i revved it on idle, i knew it wasnt right. It still went good though. I guess now its really gonna lift off if u know what i mean! LOL. Due to low funding, i couldnt get much extra stuff done to the head like port and polish etc..
How much proven horsepower can u gain from a port/polish and with inlet/exhaust match ported?? Anybody?
86-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote