CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
Tyres Now

Reply

 

Thread Tools
Old 22-10-12, 21:36   #1
Petrievl
VSTONV
 
Petrievl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-12-11
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern Suburbs
Car: Vs Berlina, Vl Calais.
Trader Rating: (0)
Stupid Question: Can i put an MF5 gearbox into a turbo a8 motor (mx7)

if its possible do i change the tailshaft and box or?
i have no idea what the differences are, i just cant afford to put another mx7 cause there $$$$$ farken expensive, so is it possible that i can bolt a mf5 into a turbo block instead of the mx7, cheers guys.
__________________
faarken stustustu, if i wasnt a p-plater..
Petrievl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-12, 21:49   #2
HTURBO
Pushing Limits
 
HTURBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-08
Location: VIC, Gippsland
Car: 05 VZ HSV Clubsport R8 daily / VL calais turbo manual / 05 CRF450R
Trader Rating: (3)
Yes you can but you'll be crunching every gear or even blow the gearbox.
Or buy a secondhand R33 or R34 gearbox & put that in.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...ht=r33+gearbox
__________________
Sorry Sir, l'll stop drinking & Surfing
HTURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-12, 21:52   #3
VLT222
FLY086
 
VLT222's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15-02-12
Location: Sydney, shire
Car: 5 Speed SL Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
yeh theres no point putting an mf5 it wont take the power from the engine, thats why they are n/a boxes, r33 gts-t box will take up 250kw supposedly so maybe save up for one and put that in rather than waste more money on an mf5
__________________
SL TURBO 5 SPEED BUILD ----
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=271510
VLT222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-12, 21:54   #4
Petrievl
VSTONV
 
Petrievl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-12-11
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern Suburbs
Car: Vs Berlina, Vl Calais.
Trader Rating: (0)
Oh beautiful, just what i want,

err, fuck conversions im done with manual conversion stuff. i might just see if i can get lucky with an mx7, cause she isint to happy

hey vlt222 just read your build thread aha, nice first car man.
my first car (gold fever vl exec limited) was a piece of sheeet.

again, conversions. seems easy enough but eeeehh.
__________________
faarken stustustu, if i wasnt a p-plater..
.

Last edited by Petrievl; 22-10-12 at 21:56.
Petrievl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-12, 21:58   #5
3lturbo
.................
 
3lturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: International, .
Trader Rating: (0)
As above, if you've already replace one (or more) mx7's don't bother going to an mf5. 33 boxes are cheap now, and will support alot of power (far more than 250kw), so you shouldn't have to replace it anytime soon.
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-12, 22:00   #6
Petrievl
VSTONV
 
Petrievl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-12-11
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern Suburbs
Car: Vs Berlina, Vl Calais.
Trader Rating: (0)
yeah it seems like the way to go, i heard you can also use land cruiser slave cylinders, apparently they bolt straight up, i dunno though.
__________________
faarken stustustu, if i wasnt a p-plater..
Petrievl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 00:20   #7
VLT222
FLY086
 
VLT222's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15-02-12
Location: Sydney, shire
Car: 5 Speed SL Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrievl View Post
Oh beautiful, just what i want,

err, fuck conversions im done with manual conversion stuff. i might just see if i can get lucky with an mx7, cause she isint to happy

hey vlt222 just read your build thread aha, nice first car man.
my first car (gold fever vl exec limited) was a piece of sheeet.

again, conversions. seems easy enough but eeeehh.
haha thanks man its been fun so far, still got heaps more to do with her tho..
__________________
SL TURBO 5 SPEED BUILD ----
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=271510
VLT222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 00:34   #8
leb vlt
Roll Cage Territory
 
leb vlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20-02-07
Location: Perth, north
Car: 10.8 @ 121 mph
Trader Rating: (62)
Send a message via MSN to leb vlt
I've run 13.6 with a mf5, high flow t3, 3.08 LSD and and a cable tied accelerator cable as it snapped the run b4.. Copped a **** load of abuse on the street and had no issues with it wat so ever! I'm sure ppl have gone even quicker then I did with one. Obviously wouldn't recommend one if u have decent pwr but hey gota work with ur budget! At the same time just save ur money and put a 33 box in and u won't have to worry about it (within a certain degree)..
__________________
Adrenaline Performance & fabrication 9726 2322

HEKTIK FENCING, hit us up for a free quote 0403307549
leb vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 15:30   #9
Turismo
Gold Members
 
Turismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28-11-10
Location: WA, Pilbara Karratha
Car: VE Berlina Daily
Trader Rating: (2)
you finaly got a vl n solr or swapped the vs lol i had the gold vl calais in melbz. mate go r33 save up ur dosh and with vls always have a spare 2 grand lying around just in case. as things pop up. good luck mate n post a pic

---------- Post added 23-10-12 at 15:40 ----------

Guide to buying vl...
step 1 sell a perfectly good car
step 2 buy a vl
step 3 "err, **** conversions im done with manual conversion stuff."
step 4 buy a perfectly good car again and work on vl
step 5 any one???
Turismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 15:43   #10
Gouldy
Player
 
Gouldy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30-01-12
Location: Melbourne, Werribee
Car: Vl turbo,vt ss ls1
Trader Rating: (1)
Mx7 gearbox recoed roughly 2800$ and 2699$ for r33 gtst save ya cash and buy the recoed r33 then u have no trouble
Gouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 15:50   #11
TheChad
Dreamer
 
TheChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31-08-07
Location: Perth, ~15mins SOR
Car: 91 pulsar daily - VLCT
Trader Rating: (20)
the truth is nobody knows... if its a stock A8 motor and will be staying that way I wouldnt be surprised if an mf5 was ok??? Without knowing the history or condition of the box it could be fine for a while, or you could abuse it and break it in a day.

mx7s are much stronger than the mf5 and have slightly different ratios.

r33 gts-t boxes are again much stronger than the mx7s, and have very slightly different ratios.
Reconditioning an mx7 will cost 2-3x as much as buying a ~100xxxkm r33 box, however you wont know the condition of the r33 box. the r33 box if it is in good condition will still be better than a recoed mx7 due to the synchros and ratios.

another point to note:
mx7 = 10" flywheel
mf5 and r33 = 9.5" flywheel

the r33 box will suit the mx7 tailshaft too, with just the front yoke changed IIRC. Hardly a big issue. an mf5 is shorter and needs its own shaft. (rear 1/2 of all shafts is the same length)
__________________
Quote:
Removed the references to man porn - Oliver.

Last edited by TheChad; 23-10-12 at 16:02.
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 15:56   #12
tubbed1
9.02 @ 155mph
 
tubbed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-05-06
Location: SA, Adelaide
Car: 650kw vl turbo race car (R.I.P), calais turbo wagon,vl calais s2 sedan
Trader Rating: (8)
R33 gearboxes have run consistant 9 sec passes do definetly
A proven box for the $$ you pay... Stronger everything and same price if not cheaper now than the mx7

- better gear sets
- better ratios and synchros
- quieter
- easy to source
- etc
- etc
__________________
HI TECH DYNO , JOHN KEEN 82774400
WWW.JPC.COM.AU
WWW.KEAS.COM.AU
WWW.BIGPSI.COM
tubbed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 16:53   #13
Petrievl
VSTONV
 
Petrievl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-12-11
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern Suburbs
Car: Vs Berlina, Vl Calais.
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo View Post
you finaly got a vl n solr or swapped the vs lol i had the gold vl calais in melbz. mate go r33 save up ur dosh and with vls always have a spare 2 grand lying around just in case. as things pop up. good luck mate n post a pic

---------- Post added 23-10-12 at 15:40 ----------

Guide to buying vl...
step 1 sell a perfectly good car
step 2 buy a vl
step 3 "err, **** conversions im done with manual conversion stuff."
step 4 buy a perfectly good car again and work on vl
step 5 any one???
naah man still have the vs, this is for the toy, the latest edition to the family genuine lw5 mx7 berlina wagon
i would of looked at yours if i wasnt already keen on the wagon haha.

---------- Post added 23-10-12 at 17:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad View Post
the truth is nobody knows... if its a stock A8 motor and will be staying that way I wouldnt be surprised if an mf5 was ok??? Without knowing the history or condition of the box it could be fine for a while, or you could abuse it and break it in a day.

mx7s are much stronger than the mf5 and have slightly different ratios.

r33 gts-t boxes are again much stronger than the mx7s, and have very slightly different ratios.
Reconditioning an mx7 will cost 2-3x as much as buying a ~100xxxkm r33 box, however you wont know the condition of the r33 box. the r33 box if it is in good condition will still be better than a recoed mx7 due to the synchros and ratios.

another point to note:
mx7 = 10" flywheel
mf5 and r33 = 9.5" flywheel

the r33 box will suit the mx7 tailshaft too, with just the front yoke changed IIRC. Hardly a big issue. an mf5 is shorter and needs its own shaft. (rear 1/2 of all shafts is the same length)
the engine is bog stock as i dont want to attract too much attention on my p's haha. not even a front mount.

the r33 box is looking more and more convincing as i can just do it at work. the only thing stopping me is keeping it original. i dont have the coin or the time to rebuild the mx7, over gearbox's anyway haha.
__________________
faarken stustustu, if i wasnt a p-plater..

Last edited by Petrievl; 23-10-12 at 17:00.
Petrievl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 17:32   #14
3lturbo
.................
 
3lturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: International, .
Trader Rating: (0)
''the engine is bog stock as i dont want to attract too much attention on my p's haha. not even a front mount''



This raises the question of how you have gone through more than one mx7 on an unmodified vlt, let alone a wagon?

Last edited by 3lturbo; 23-10-12 at 17:34.
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 17:44   #15
Petrievl
VSTONV
 
Petrievl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-12-11
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern Suburbs
Car: Vs Berlina, Vl Calais.
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lturbo View Post
''the engine is bog stock as i dont want to attract too much attention on my p's haha. not even a front mount''



This raises the question of how you have gone through more than one mx7 on an unmodified vlt, let alone a wagon?
bought it like that man, got it cheaper cause the gearbox is on its way out. fine with me. wouldnt of bought it if it wasnt genuine.
__________________
faarken stustustu, if i wasnt a p-plater..
Petrievl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 18:13   #16
Turismo
Gold Members
 
Turismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28-11-10
Location: WA, Pilbara Karratha
Car: VE Berlina Daily
Trader Rating: (2)
good stuff just dont p platerize it as soon as you get board with it sell it please dont mod it lol
Turismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 18:44   #17
Petrievl
VSTONV
 
Petrievl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-12-11
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern Suburbs
Car: Vs Berlina, Vl Calais.
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo View Post
good stuff just dont p platerize it as soon as you get board with it sell it please dont mod it lol
i dont intend on it, its going to get a respray and im pulling out the engine this weekend to start building it. havent got any ideas yet so any advice on building a nice streeter turbo engine go nuts, not sure turbo was the right option

i sold my fully blueprinted n/a engine for 1500 bucks out of my last calais. made 204 at the wheels haha. 25/30. Fully forged bottom end, spool rods, custom forged dome top pistons.
Fully balanced
264 10.7 intake and 270 10.2 exhaust cams.
__________________
faarken stustustu, if i wasnt a p-plater..

Last edited by Petrievl; 23-10-12 at 19:00.
Petrievl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 23:51   #18
bullarab
Player
 
Join Date: 01-11-05
Location: Brisbane, south
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
if ur not using the MX7 wanna sell MX7 sandwich plate. as 33s run smaller flywheel and starter and sandwich plate
bullarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-12, 19:20   #19
Petrievl
VSTONV
 
Petrievl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-12-11
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern Suburbs
Car: Vs Berlina, Vl Calais.
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullarab View Post
if ur not using the MX7 wanna sell MX7 sandwich plate. as 33s run smaller flywheel and starter and sandwich plate
ill get back to you mate, ill get some dosh first for an r33 box i think.
__________________
faarken stustustu, if i wasnt a p-plater..
Petrievl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-12, 21:06   #20
TheChad
Dreamer
 
TheChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31-08-07
Location: Perth, ~15mins SOR
Car: 91 pulsar daily - VLCT
Trader Rating: (20)
i dont really see an r33 box as "molesting" the genuineness of the car...

It's not a super limited run kind of car that requires 100% matching numbers etc. The 33 box is like a newer mx7 anyway. same manufacturer, same size, same rough shape etc.

Read the thread, its basically if they made an mx7 in the 90s
__________________
Quote:
Removed the references to man porn - Oliver.
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-12, 23:56   #21
Turismo
Gold Members
 
Turismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28-11-10
Location: WA, Pilbara Karratha
Car: VE Berlina Daily
Trader Rating: (2)
Yeah but matching numbers is what counts in the future chadskee or dont boxes come with any more identification other than mx7 on vls?
Turismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-12, 12:48   #22
TheChad
Dreamer
 
TheChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31-08-07
Location: Perth, ~15mins SOR
Car: 91 pulsar daily - VLCT
Trader Rating: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo View Post
Yeah but matching numbers is what counts in the future chadskee or dont boxes come with any more identification other than mx7 on vls?
I Spose it is a genuine berlina turbo wagon, buy its not a really sort after or rare car. Don't get me wrong, its an excellent car, just it's never going to claim Brock money or anything. If you're really worried just keep the old mx7 in your shed. I guarantee you'll never look back with a 33 box though.
__________________
Quote:
Removed the references to man porn - Oliver.
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 17:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger