Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
G-Cylinder

Old 29-05-17, 20:20   #1
Katsa
Gold Members

Car: [EX.RTA] Kimberly bronze BT1
Trader Rating: (7)
Investments: stocks, real estate, bonds, fine art Vl turbos

Guys with all that's going on at present I thought I would make a thread/start discussion on the prices of our beloved cars on a statistical level.
In this thread I would like for actual facts & data to be presented and supporting claims as apposed to "trust me bro it sold for this much cause my mates cousin told me"
The thread title is me taking the piss abit but in all seriousness lets as an example use some of the following as an example/comparison.

In 2009 you could have bought CBA shares for 24.07, they would now be worth 78.89, also not included in that figure is the fully franked dividend they have paid for the past 8 years.
In 2012 An average home in Melbourne was approx. 500k (reiv stats) now sitting somewhere around 830k, again, not factoring in rent, depreciation/tax advantages and the fact that you don't have use all of your own money to purchase, leverage/bank lending
In 2008 we were paying 10-12k for a decent Calais turbo. Those same cars are now 15-20k
That White berlina on carsales for 13.5 that hasn't sold yet (been a few months) would of fetched about 7-8k afew years back.

Moto of the story VL s arnt the most amazing investments like many are carrying on about for one, secondly there are many cars that are selling for far below advertised amounts, with many examples here on this forum!

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Katsa; 29-05-17 at 20:27.
Katsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-17, 20:43   #2
UND_CVR
Player

Car: toyrolla
Trader Rating: (5)
Sold my 1988 white bt1 auto turbo for $20k last week
Bought it in 2007 for the going rate 😊
UND_CVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-17, 20:55   #3
OriginalG
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Loving this thread title.

I actually am a property investor, I don't buy VLs for investment. That said I wouldn't let mine go no matter the sum you throw at me. And I hope no one considers them as such, cars outside few and far between are all depreciating assets you should be writing off on tax.

How much does someone want that exact car it is going to factor in how much someone will get out of it, Would I pay even $3,000 for an executive? No. Will I pay $30k for a mint VL Calais Turbo now? Yes. Is there someone else out there that would $6,000 for the same executive? Yes.

Real time sales is what we should be posting I guess to see where the prices actually are?

Mate sold a Calais 333 150km on the clock for $23 recently.

For other investment discussion I bought over 500 bitcoin for just $7,000 in 2012. Today that's worth over $1,500,000+ sadly I have **** all left compared to what I originally started with but hey if we all have crystal balls right
OriginalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-17, 21:13   #4
Katsa
Gold Members

Car: [EX.RTA] Kimberly bronze BT1
Trader Rating: (7)
You NSW blokes have an unfair advantage in real estate terms, your driveways are a mil plus haha
I was looking at that Bitcoin and can't help but feel a hazy reminder of the .com boom and bust, your thoughts mate?
Katsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-17, 22:44   #5
XEC747
328 PSI biteforce

Car: VL, VR, VE
Trader Rating: (9)
NSW guys only have an advantage if they purchased a long time ago otherwise they are paying a lot for a driveway
Old 29-05-17, 23:08   #6
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
OriginalG I don't even know what vl you have but I'll offer you 950k for it
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-17, 12:08   #7
OriginalG
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoVLCT View Post
OriginalG I don't even know what vl you have but I'll offer you 950k for it
Come on mate, I slapped some subway tiles and polished concrete in a kings cross unit with some shipping crates as furniture just before lunch today and made double that

Joking aside but, even $50 wouldn't buy it. I'm not an idiot and know it's worth half not trying to say it isn't, but some cars hold that sentimental value and I guess I should count myself in a lucky enough position that I have no need or want to sell it for cash.

You could offer $50 grand overs on any early plated XYGT or Monaro but chances are the owner still won't part with them.

This is another factor continually driving up prices. But sadly what most dreamers on FB and gumtree don't realise you can't ask the same for a rust heaps with some VT seats thrown in with an orange paint job. Facebook has welcomed the masses to online car enthusiasm but with that comes 90% ****heads and time wasters. I truly miss the earlier times of here and streetcommodores forum.
OriginalG is offline   Reply With Quote