G-Cylinder

Old 19-06-16, 19:23   #1
Tim747
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
To install VL Speedo drive or Whole Gearbox

Hi all.

Am seeking advice as I am changing my Speedo drive as its a R31 gearbox and giving a false reading on the cluster - approx 6-8km out I think.

Or should I simply change the whole gearbox over? Which has better gearbox ratios ( please elaborate, can't find anything on here about the difference in these gearboxes)?

Also I am unsure the difference or benifeits of keeping or changing the gearbox over but I do know the R31's had 3.9 diff and VL's have 3:45 so would like to know which gearbox and their ratio I am better off with.

My car revs at 2,000 on the freeway, and just under when doing 60 - which reads around 52 on my cluster.

Engine revs at 1,500rpm when going down a hill and overdrive/4th kicks in. My overdrive is suspected to work only down hills and it takes awhile to kick into if I drive straight onto the freeway it will rev at 3,000rpm then few minutes later (maybe the engine has to warm up) it'll kick down to 2,000rpm.

PWR button doesn't respond sometimes but is working.

EDIT - Also what is more cost effective option? And should I aim for a Turbo box?
Tim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-16, 22:19   #2
Steve
( . Y . )

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim747 View Post

Or should I simply change the whole gearbox over? Which has better gearbox ratios ( please elaborate, can't find anything on here about the difference in these gearboxes)?

EDIT - Also what is more cost effective option? And should I aim for a Turbo box?
Thats because there is no difference.

Cheapest and easiest option is to change the little speedo drive...
Old 19-06-16, 22:25   #3
Tim747
Player

Car:
Ok then I shall research where I can find the part and the cost next.

But seriously the gear ratios are the same in skylines and VL's - because its the same box yea? just the diff ratio is different.
Old 20-06-16, 14:30   #4
Antho
Certified Wise

Car: 2 x VL Calais Turbo, VL Berlina Turbo, 2 x Ford Explorer V8, Subaru Forester GT, BMW 325i M Sport
Trader Rating: (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim747 View Post
Ok then I shall research where I can find the part and the cost next.

But seriously the gear ratios are the same in skylines and VL's - because its the same box yea? just the diff ratio is different.
Yeah mate diff ratio is different which is why your speedo is out, put in a VL speedo drive and it should fix your problem.

I wouldn't bother with a VLT box unless you are chasing big numbers, which you should then be looking at a built box anyway.

---------- Post added 20-06-16 at 14:32 ----------

Put a wanted ad up on this site I'm sure somebody has an auto speedo drive laying around.
Antho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-16, 19:45   #5
Tim747
Player

Car:
Ok thats 2 people backing this idea. I will post a ad ont his website but do Have Jovan/WOGPSI as a go-to-guy for parts now.

How much should the speedo drive cost?