G-Cylinder

Old 15-06-16, 23:58   #1
Tim747
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Cluster and Overdrive Related Issues

Hi everyone.

I am posting this because I have discovered something after reading through the VL Fuel Gauge Fix thread in the Technical Articles.

My VL Calais was bulit in FEB 87. And have been told that this is when some are neither a Series 1 or 2 but can be a mixture. My car has Series 1 Trim since I've had it. And my cluster is dated in Feb from memory and my dashboard piece with the speakers is dated FEB as well. I have replaced that cluster with another S2 cluster and the gauges read better of course, fuel gauge isn't perfect but highly functional and the speedo reading is sort of off - same as the original one. Just wondering if i popped a S1 cluster is would the reading be fixed? and overdrive will work? Ummmmm yea please read on.

Vl Fuel Gauge Fix is the thread I was reading through

Here is a quote from VL Hero on page 2: You do realise that if you put S2 inserts in a S1 dash that when your speedo reads 100 your only doing 80 dont you? S1 and S2 tacho's have a different sweep and hence have differently spaced markings.

Yes My VL's speedo reading is behind. When im doing 92km its 100 according to the GPS. And when Im doing 42km its 50.
And my car has a Nissan RB30 S2 engine and gearbox from a r31 skyline which was put in for the road worthy.

And then I found this in the same thread - click to read what was said

Maybe this can fix the overdrive issue to make tranmission it work hopefully Even when driving around town instead of always sitting at 2,000rpm but the revs do drop when I go down a hill and I guess thats my Overdrive working Also my PWR does work sometimes depends how Im driving I never use it but have played with it. On the highway Im sitting at 2,000 revs so I guess overdrive does work.

I may add I am suspcious that my short trips too work - 10 minutes drive around town lucky to be 8km one way - 18km max a days driving - to be a factor as the engine just warms up and doesn't want to click into overdrive when driving in 60 zones - which my speedo will be doing 52'ish because thats 60.

Oxy sensor has been changed and car was dyno'd and tuned and everything, was good on petrol for 3 weeks did 250km and barely used any fuel not even half a tank!!!!!!! Then it just got worse and worse range slowly drifting back to 250-300km(if lucky) per tank when i have 1/4 left.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!

I have been given a reference to Howard instruments somewhere in Victoria Melbourne to fix my cluster but not sure if I wanna pay for that just yet.

Also Im not good at writing or posting here but i did my best to describe briefly what Im thinking could be the issue to my overdrive not wokring and my fuel being worse.
Tim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-16, 10:37   #2
Steve
( . Y . )

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (31)
You probably have a Skyline speedo drive in your transmission which is for 3.9 diff gears, not 3.45's, hence it not reading correctly.
I did have an over drive (and cruise control) issue once, swapped the whole cluster out and it worked again.
Also, I would be careful when taking advice from VLHERO...

Last edited by Steve; 16-06-16 at 10:39.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-16, 19:31   #3
Tim747
Player

Car:
Yes I can see how the speedo drive is different will fix that someday soon.

Can't believe how if the cluster isnt giving a good reading the car runs all stupid. Hope it fixs how my transmission acts.

Im conisidering getting my original cluster fixed then selling the cluster I ahev now to pay for its bill. and then hooray!!! it'll be running sweet.

---------- Post added 16-06-16 at 19:32 ----------

And really is the clusters functionality plays a role on how the car works well or not?
Old 17-06-16, 11:14   #4
Steve
( . Y . )

Its the electronic speed sensor on the back of it (where your speedo cable goes) that plays up
Old 17-06-16, 17:20   #5
Tim747
Player

Car:
Ok my dash is somewhat in pieces but still bolted in. So I need to fix my speedo gear which is in the tranmission? and anything on the cluster it self (connections on board and cables and such) ?

Thanks for your help. Sorry I really don't know how to go about getting it fixed or where to go.
Old 17-06-16, 18:15   #6
Steve
( . Y . )

Where your speedo cable goes into your transmission, pull out the speedo gear and put in one from VL auto transmission

Looks like this
Old 19-06-16, 18:54   #7
Tim747
Player

Car:
Well thats probably a job for the mechanic I don't have the resources to get into pulling those parts out and changing them. Will get onto it though! its all clear now appreicate it champ!!!
Old 19-06-16, 19:15   #8
Steve
( . Y . )

Its not that hard to do... Unscrew Speedo cable, and then its one 10mm bolt to get the speedo drive out. But be quick because oil will come out too...