Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 22-08-15, 19:54   #201
priceysVL
Gold Members

Car: 1988 A9Y VL Calais Wagon
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #adz View Post
A v8 wagon would be rad. What kind of condition is it in?
High kms, standard rust, interior needs attention. Exterior looks to be in good nick.
priceysVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-15, 18:06   #202
priceysVL
Gold Members

Well, the v8 wagon fling never happened. Spoke to the bloke who bought it and he was just trying to off load it for a profit. Also said it had overheating and carby issues, lucky I didn't chance my arm on the long haul home.

Reason for the update is the rego renewal papers just arrived for the VL. Lack of money and time have in turn lost me any sort of motivation to get back into it.

Although I do have plenty of options.
1. Store away til winter next year.
2. Pull my finger out and either work turbo motor or convert to an 8
3. Sell this and my ute and buy a VE GTS.
4. Sell and buy a v8 VL.

so thats currently where I'm at. How's everyone else going. ?
Old 17-10-15, 16:50   #203
3lturbo

The GTS is a great car. But you'll be in a similar predicament when it starts to feel slow.

Why not just chip away at putting a turbo'd LS in the wagon over the space of a year? The conversions cheap enough, and you can get the manifolds as a kit now. You've got an awesome wagon, i'd keep it and finish it.
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-15, 19:12   #204
#adz
talks a good game

Car: vl berlina wagz
Agree with 3lturbo - chip away at it.

my $0.02

Decide exactly what it is you want it to be, plan it out and stick to it. If you can keep it useable while you do the work on it even better - as soon as you get over it you can jump in and enjoy it.

If its not what you really want, then yeah sell it and get what it is you want.

Its a f k n real nice wagon man...you'll be kicking yourself after selling it for sure.

I rage quit a genuine 5spd berlina turbo with madeira interior in 2002 and still give myself an upper cut due to said irrationallity.

Last edited by #adz; 18-10-15 at 10:07. Reason: Mind your own business
#adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-15, 12:52   #205
priceysVL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lturbo View Post
The GTS is a great car. But you'll be in a similar predicament when it starts to feel slow.

Why not just chip away at putting a turbo'd LS in the wagon over the space of a year? The conversions cheap enough, and you can get the manifolds as a kit now. You've got an awesome wagon, i'd keep it and finish it.
Thanks for your thoughts mate. I've loved the VE GTS ever since they first came out, more so the E3 series. I said to myself when the time comes it has to be fully optioned and exactly what I'm after.

I have considered putting a LS in the wagon. And like you said its not an extremely difficult conversion and more so parts needed are of better quality. Not sure aboutl a turbo aswell but ive read the manifolds give a lot more room?

I could probably sell the rb30 drivetrain for a decent price aswell.

I think ill just sit on it for a while and plug away slowly.

---------- Post added 18-10-15 at 14:07 ----------

Quote:
Agree with 3lturbo - chip away at it.

my $0.02

Decide exactly what it is you want it to be, plan it out and stick to it. If you can keep it useable while you do the work on it even better - as soon as you get over it you can jump in and enjoy it.

If its not what you really want, then yeah sell it and get what it is you want.

Its a f k n real nice wagon man...you'll be kicking yourself after selling it for sure.

I rage quit a genuine 5spd berlina turbo with madeira interior in 2002 and still give myself an upper cut due to said irrationallity.
Thats my problem. I'm so indecisive. And if I were to sell for one I wouldnt get that Id ask for and two I'd probably be kicking myself.

If no one was aware I am a mechanic by trade and half the time I couldn't be assed working on the VL after working on everyone else shxtboxes.

So plugging away it will be. Im starting to like the LS idea more and more.
Old 18-10-15, 15:38   #206
3lturbo

No worries. Like Adz said, depends what you want it for, and what you want from it at the end of the day.

Yeah mate, the turbo side of things is easy, more than enough room for a decent sized turbo in there (GT42's fit nicely). Even if you were to start with a cast iron blocked LS (LQ4/LQ9 etc) you'd make a minimum of 600rwhp and that's through an unopened motor, with just headwork. Even custom made manifolds are only slightly dearer than CRS/Pacemaker headers. lol if you decide to go that way send me a pm and i'll give you as much help as possible.

The e3's are awesome though, have you driven one? Whatever you do don't sell the wagon, it's such a nice car!

Jay
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-15, 16:42   #207
#adz
talks a good game

Hearing you on indecisiveness. I change my mind on tuxedo black or Venetian red for my sedan at least weekly. Same goes for 5.0 v LS.

Prob doesn't help, but a bloke at work has an e2 clubby with a 7Ltr...wasn't a fan of anything VE before he gave me the keys
Old 18-10-15, 17:09   #208
priceysVL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lturbo View Post
No worries. Like Adz said, depends what you want it for, and what you want from it at the end of the day.

Yeah mate, the turbo side of things is easy, more than enough room for a decent sized turbo in there (GT42's fit nicely). Even if you were to start with a cast iron blocked LS (LQ4/LQ9 etc) you'd make a minimum of 600rwhp and that's through an unopened motor, with just headwork. Even custom made manifolds are only slightly dearer than CRS/Pacemaker headers. lol if you decide to go that way send me a pm and i'll give you as much help as possible.

The e3's are awesome though, have you driven one? Whatever you do don't sell the wagon, it's such a nice car!

Jay
Im not looking at huge power just after a nice cruiser.
I read somewhere that because the turbo manifold is flipped you have more clearance. All ive read about is the clearance issues with power steering, headers and the starter motor.

And as for the e3s, I've driven one but we are now getting a lot more VE SS models coming in and most are maffless tuned. Always go for a squirt around the block but never really had a solid drive. Im also a bit iffy on the way the clutch feels compared to my vz.

---------- Post added 18-10-15 at 18:11 ----------

Quote:
Hearing you on indecisiveness. I change my mind on tuxedo black or Venetian red for my sedan at least weekly. Same goes for 5.0 v LS.

Prob doesn't help, but a bloke at work has an e2 clubby with a 7Ltr...wasn't a fan of anything VE before he gave me the keys
Yeah i wasnt a big fan at first but they have grown on me. And I'm sure a 7L would help change your mind haha.

Tuxedo black with red interior and a LS. Phwaaaaooorrr
Old 19-10-15, 00:06   #209
#adz
talks a good game

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceysVL View Post

Yeah i wasnt a big fan at first but they have grown on me. And I'm sure a 7L would help change your mind haha.

Tuxedo black with red interior and a LS. Phwaaaaooorrr
Is the ideal outcome, but probs not gonna happen that way.

Srsly that 7ltr is holy **** quick. Easily the fastest car I've driven by double the powers and some. Apart from the cam which makes 1st and reverse difficult as to use, it's a really well sorted car, 10/10 would bang.
Old 13-12-15, 01:04   #210
BUD
ICEMAN

Car: VL berlina x2
Trader Rating: (1)
looking good champ and yeah its hard some times to get motivation but try to think of the end product and you cruising in it
Old 20-12-15, 20:14   #211
priceysVL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
looking good champ and yeah its hard some times to get motivation but try to think of the end product and you cruising in it
Well a couple of things have changed in my life but the VL remains the same.

I have moved out but with no where to keep the VL at mums place so she is still at the old house all locked up and filled with all the spares and 2 sets of wheels with the car cover on. Also out of rego now.

Looking to get back on my feet in the new year and sort a new place to live with storage for her.

Only other thing I have really done is look into the 19inch calais wheels. Apart from that sweet F A.

I could never sell her.
Old 06-03-16, 19:59   #212
priceysVL
Gold Members

Righteo fellow A9Y owners. I need some motivation. If any of you have done inspiration seminars please step forward.

This is my pride and joy, spent about 18 months slowly piecing it together only to drive it a handful of times. Was n/a auto but now LW5 MX7, all genuine gear. All the other usual stuff, cooler, suspension, brake upgrade etc.

Now my circumstances changed for me and now its currently out of rego and "in storage" at my old house. This photo was taken the last time I drove it in about May.

Its currently full of spares, 2 sets of wheels and basically anything else I couldnt bring with me to the new place.

After seeing all the examples on here and other VLs not just the calais wagons, I cant bear to think of selling up because I can see so much more potential in her and in myself.

The biggest downfall is my own laziness and the fact that Im a mechanic by trade and alot of the time I cant be assed working on something when I get home.

So to conclude, Im sure some of you if not all you have been in this same situation, so what Im asking for is that bit of a kick up the ass to get this thing looking pristine as it should.

Cheers guys.
Old 06-03-16, 20:56   #213
philby
Gold Members

Car: AVL 6
Trader Rating: (9)
first of all start an ro for a blue slip and a few other minor things that need doing that can be done in a few hours after work and start driving if to work that will help
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 23:51   #214
priceysVL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by philby View Post
first of all start an ro for a blue slip and a few other minor things that need doing that can be done in a few hours after work and start driving if to work that will help
Blue slip is no ossue,I can do them haha.
No way. Not driving it to work in peak hour traffic