Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
JD CUSTOM

Old 05-06-12, 01:01   #1
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Car: Holden VL Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (4)
Hollandia 700 Sunroof Wiring Diagram

It has been a while since I last posted here however I have recently re-wired the Hollandia 700 Sunroof in my VL and thought I would explain the process involved.

Firstly, a bit of background information…

Contrary to popular belief, there was no option when purchasing a VL to have a sunroof fitted at the factory. The cars that were sold new with a sunroof were always fitted by the dealer or an independent company prior to being sold. This excludes HDT vehicles as these sunroofs were fitted by HDT themselves.

The most common sunroof that was fitted was the Hollandia 700 with the following features:
  • Glass panel slides inside the roof of vehicle
  • Tilt position for ventilation
  • Interior sliding sunshade in matching roof lining
  • Automatic wind deflector for optimum aerodynamics

There were also some vehicles that were fitted with Skytop sunroofs however I do not have any details on this model.

The Hollandia 700 model that was available in the 1980s was supposed to operate in such a way that when you hold the switch down to either slide or tilt the sunroof, it would stop in the closed position automatically until you let go of the switch and pushed it again.

This was achieved with a series of relays and a micro switch that was built into the sunroof in order to determine its position. The current Hollandia 700 models achieve this via a dedicated control unit, however this does not apply to the older models. Unfortunately my vehicle was either never fitted with the relays or they were removed sometime before I purchased the vehicle.

Because of this it made it very hard to close the sunroof as I was required to let go of the switch exactly when it reached the closed position otherwise it would start to open again.

I have created the following wiring diagram in order to get the 1980s Hollandia 700 Sunroof models working properly if you are missing the relays that they were originally supposed to be fitted with. Please see the images attached at the end of this post.

You will need the following parts:
  • 1 x SPST Momentary Normally Open Automotive Relay
  • 1 x SPDT Latching Automotive Relay
  • 2 x Diodes

You will also need a few lengths of wire and spade connectors to connect all the different components. I recommend using a soldering iron along with heat shrink to make the connections (Especially for the diodes) however you may use crimp connectors if you prefer. Make sure you use components that can handle the correct amount of amps that your sunroof motor will draw. Anything that is rated at 20A or higher should be suitable.

Listed below are the wire colour codes for the micro switch on the sunroof that determines its position:
  • Common: Green
  • Closed: Blue
  • Open: Red

Please Note: These were the colours of the corresponding wires on the Hollandia 700 Sunroof fitted to my VL. They may differ between different sunroofs from the same era or between different vehicles so please check these yourself before making any connections!

I have not included any other wire colour codes or part numbers as there is a good chance that these may differ between vehicles or the parts that you choose to purchase. You should be able to work out what each wire is for with a multimeter or a simple 12V circuit tester. I have however included a diagram to assist with the orientation of the diodes and also a recommendation of which latching relay to use as these can be hard to find.

Now the SPST Momentary Normally Open Automotive Relay is very common and easy to find however the SPDT Latching Automotive Relay is harder to come by. Most latching relays either have 2 coils that determine which state they are switched to or they have a single coil that changes the state of the relay when its polarity is reversed. These types of relays will not be suitable. You will need a relay that changes state from a single pulse of electricity regardless of its polarity and remains in this state even if the coil is no longer energised.

If you are having trouble understanding which type of relay is required, please refer to this article: Relay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I ended up using a Durite 0-728-02 12V 25A Latching Changeover Relay with Resistor. It was quite expensive for a relay ($35.00) however it does the job. I purchased this relay on eBay however there are other online stores that supply it. When buying online, make sure you confirm the exact function of the relay before purchasing it!

Please note that if you are using this relay, due to the internal layout, you will need to connect Pin 30 to Ground and Pin S to the Closed Pole of the Sunroof Micro Switch. These are the pins that are connected to the coil of the relay and in this application, it will not work the other way around.

You should be able to easily connect this circuit to your existing sunroof and secure the relays somewhere within the roof lining. Keep in mind when mounting the relays that they are secure as you don’t want them to become dislodged or to protrude into the roof lining once it is fitted. If you are unable to understand the wiring diagram, then this job may be best left to a qualified auto electrician.

I hope someone finds this information useful. Now that I have my sunroof installed correctly, it is much more user friendly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunroof Circuit.jpg (49.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Diodes.jpg (3.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Diode.jpg (4.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Durite Relay.jpg (20.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Durite Relay Pinout.jpg (23.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-06-12, 19:37   #2
GPA106
Player

Car: Walkinshaw, E3 GTS, F355, 993 TT
Trader Rating: (0)
Thanks for the information I have the same problem.
Cheers
GPA106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 19:44   #3
mister.x
Player

Car: VL Calais, M35 250t Stagea
not sure if this is the place to ask however this is the most info I have found on them, does the sunroof dealer fitted ad value or is it simply a nice feature?
mister.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 21:31   #4
Kylie
Italian Stallion

As mentioned previously, there was no option when purchasing a VL to have a sunroof fitted at the factory. Any sunroof that is fitted to a VL will therefore be an aftermarket item regardless of where it was fitted. This of course excludes HDT vehicles.

Generally, this means that as long as the sunroof is in working order and does not have any leaks, then it would increase the value of the vehicle. Different people have different opinions on weather or not it is a nice feature although most people enjoy the open air driving atmosphere that a sunroof provides.
Old 06-08-12, 22:29   #5
mister.x
Player

Car: VL Calais, M35 250t Stagea
cheers.
mister.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-12, 21:02   #6
vlc_kid
Player

Car: Vu ute, vl berlina turbo, vl sl rb25det
Is there anyway to test the sunroof motor as my vl is stripped atm and would like to test the motor
vlc_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-12, 15:44   #7
Kylie
Italian Stallion

To test the motor, simply apply 12 Volts DC in any polarity to the motor and see if it spins or the sunroof operates. Then reverse the polarity and see if the motor spins or the sunroof operates in the opposite direction.
Old 25-09-12, 17:06   #8
vlc_kid
Player

Car: Vu ute, vl berlina turbo, vl sl rb25det
Thanks mate
vlc_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-15, 15:20   #9
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Trader Rating: (16)
Send a message via ICQ to ILLUSIV Send a message via MSN to ILLUSIV
Thanks for this. The Sunroof in my Walky has stopped working, it's closed. I'll have a look at this.

The switch is fine, I've tested and it seems fine and I'm getting 12v to the switch, so it's something else. I've been told the microswitch may be the culprit.
1988 VL SS Group A SV Walkinshaw #369 - WALLKY
ILLUSIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-15, 15:39   #10
Kylie
Italian Stallion

The micro switch in my sunroof actually stopped working while I was working on it however I managed to get it working again with some contact cleaner.

Apparently the same micro switch is used in an old JVC VCR but I'm sure you could find a more modern aftermarket replacement.
Old 27-01-15, 16:12   #11
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
The micro switch in my sunroof actually stopped working while I was working on it however I managed to get it working again with some contact cleaner.

Apparently the same micro switch is used in an old JVC VCR but I'm sure you could find a more modern aftermarket replacement.
That's exactly what a sunroof guy said to me today about the microswitch being in an old VCR!

With your switch to operate the sunroof, is it a 5 pin? and if so do you know the colours?
Old 27-01-15, 21:45   #12
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Yes, mine is a 5 pin. It was a while ago that I had it out but the reason I didn't provide wiring colours is because the sunroofs were never fitted at the factory, so the wiring could change depending on who did the installation.

It shouldn't be too hard to work out though with a multimeter. Those reverse polarity switches are very common and used in many other cars for electric windows and sunroofs.
Old 28-01-15, 07:27   #13
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Quote:
Yes, mine is a 5 pin. It was a while ago that I had it out but the reason I didn't provide wiring colours is because the sunroofs were never fitted at the factory, so the wiring could change depending on who did the installation.

It shouldn't be too hard to work out though with a multimeter. Those reverse polarity switches are very common and used in many other cars for electric windows and sunroofs.
Makes sense. Mine has a pink for the 12v to the centre pin, a yellow and a blue and what looks to white dual core speaker wire for the other 2 pins. The white speaker wire are both earth and the pink, blue and yellow go up to the roof.

The switch bells out fine on the multimeter, so I think the switch is fine.

Last edited by ILLUSIV; 28-01-15 at 08:26.
Old 28-01-15, 08:28   #14
Kylie
Italian Stallion

See, already I can tell that your wiring colours are different, mine was:

12V+: Orange
Sunroof Motor: Blue/Yellow
Ground: Black

The other issue is the switch. While they all perform the same function, you can't guarantee that the same switch with the same pin layout was used for every vehicle. I have attached a wiring diagram of the most common switch that was used but I still recommend that you test it with a multimeter before connecting it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 Pin Power Window Switch.jpg (13.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 28-01-15, 12:21   #15
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Quote:
See, already I can tell that your wiring colours are different, mine was:

12V+: Orange
Sunroof Motor: Blue/Yellow
Ground: Black

The other issue is the switch. While they all perform the same function, you can't guarantee that the same switch with the same pin layout was used for every vehicle. I have attached a wiring diagram of the most common switch that was used but I still recommend that you test it with a multimeter before connecting it.
Thanks, so both of ours use blue and yellow for the Sunroof motor. My pink wire is connected to another wire (they have just tapped into another 12v line of something else). It then goes into a fuse holder, then out of the fuse holder it goes to the middle pin of the switch, but before that, they have tapped into it again and sent it up to the sunroof (so both 12v are protected by the fuse), with the blue and yellow wires from the switch. So this way the sunroof always has power while accessories are on, as well as then getting 12v from the blue and yellow wires when the switch is toggled.

My issue now is getting the sunroof open. I see that there is a plug on the rear of the roof and when I take the plug off, what looks to be a little round metal piece with thread on it.

How do you manually open the sunroof to find the micro switch and relays? Is there a tool to use for this? I'll post a photo if you would like.

Thanks
Craig

Last edited by ILLUSIV; 28-01-15 at 12:24.
Old 28-01-15, 13:46   #16
Kylie
Italian Stallion

You are looking in the right place. The plug at the rear of the sunroof is for manual operation, similar to the front eyelids on a Calais. The plug on my sunroof is square, which makes things confusing if you are not sure what it is.

I'm not sure if there is a special tool or which tool you are supposed to use as I never had to manually operate mine. It wouldn't be too hard to find something or fabricate something to turn it.

If you are only having issues with the micro switch, you can apply 12V directly to the motor to operate it. In this case, reversing polarity will reverse the direction that the sunroof slides.
Old 28-01-15, 15:04   #17
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Here are some photos...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4846.JPG (183.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4836.JPG (122.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4850.jpg (147.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by ILLUSIV; 28-01-15 at 15:57.
Old 28-01-15, 16:17   #18
Kylie
Italian Stallion

That all looks the same as mine. I would see if you can get 2 thin nuts and thread them onto the stud so you can turn it with some leverage. That's if supplying 12V directly to the motor doesn't work.
Old 28-01-15, 16:43   #19
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Quote:
That all looks the same as mine. I would see if you can get 2 thin nuts and thread them onto the stud so you can turn it with some leverage. That's if supplying 12V directly to the motor doesn't work.
Thanks, the switch is getting 12V, so I don't think it's that. We have tested the switch and it looks fine.

I haven't pulled the hood lining out as yet, should I? Or can I access everything when the sunroof is slid back into the roof?
Old 28-01-15, 17:07   #20
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Here is a photo of the switch wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4849.JPG (157.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 28-01-15, 22:18   #21
Kylie
Italian Stallion

You can access the micro switch itself when the sunroof is open. The sunroof motor and associated wiring can only be accessed by removing the roof lining. I would remove it to inspect the wiring as this is what I did and I found that the micro switch wasn't even connected!

I removed the entire roof lining and just left it attached at the back along the rear window. This made it easy to work on the sunroof and also refit the roof lining.
Old 29-01-15, 08:33   #22
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Quote:
You can access the micro switch itself when the sunroof is open. The sunroof motor and associated wiring can only be accessed by removing the roof lining. I would remove it to inspect the wiring as this is what I did and I found that the micro switch wasn't even connected!

I removed the entire roof lining and just left it attached at the back along the rear window. This made it easy to work on the sunroof and also refit the roof lining.
Thanks for your help, makes sense.

I've been told that the Sunroof manual closing mode is only for closing, and not opening, which makes some sense, as it has a thread on it and not a grove to go either way. Apparently it was designed to be able to close it in the event it stopped working while open.

A mate of mine has one of the tools and is sending a photo of it to me to see if it fits and also he has a manual of some description for the Sunroof. I'll pass this on if it is correct and if I get a key made up for me, would you be interested in one?

Cheers
Craig
Old 29-01-15, 12:22   #23
Kylie
Italian Stallion

It is possible that it was designed that way. Any documentation such as a user manual would be great to have. I would definitely be interested if you get a manual tool custom made. Let me know how you go!