User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > Other VLs
GRUNT Performance

Old 28-02-12, 16:00   #26
fleas
COLONY SAVAGE

Car: 1988 Executive; 1987 Executive
Trader Rating: (27)
Did you change the front seats for the red VL?
Old 28-02-12, 17:55   #27
Tic
Player

Car: red 88 sl vlt, blue 88 daily, 86 Berlina turbo wagon
Trader Rating: (2)
Yeah i did, it has vp calais front seats because i got defected for a tear in the original drivers seat. Im thinking of getting some beige vl berlina seats and getting them trimed in sl material so it has the pocket in the back but looks original.
Tic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-12, 16:19   #28
fleas
COLONY SAVAGE

Car: 1988 Executive; 1987 Executive
Trader Rating: (27)
Defected for a tear.....farout.

Should have just whacked on a Seat cover.

I've seen mint front seats at the wreckers; shouldn't cost much.
Old 02-07-12, 19:13   #29
Tic
Player

Just restored a vlt plenum i had laying around, a few hours work in cleaning and painting but i think it came up well and has fixed the idle problem that it had.
Old 02-07-12, 21:03   #30
onetidyvl
Official Member

Trader Rating: (0)
looks good , and the attention to the bay work makes me want to paint it to o.g

keep the progress coming

also , found an old c4c pic

Old 02-07-12, 21:17   #31
Tic
Player

Haha back when it was still na. Ive still got to tidy up the bay some more before im happy with it. It wont be driven much till im off p's next year anyway.
Old 26-08-12, 21:16   #32
Tic
Player

Finally got some turbo hub caps and gave them some tlc and a paint up. Im quite happy with how they came out. Now i just want to repaint the bars and moulds and ill be happy for a while.

fitted a calais interior light

and some interior shots with my new camera

Plans for it in the near future is try to find some calais roof lining, visors and rear quarter surrounds. Also looking at putting in a built 9 inch to replace 25 spline spooled diff that is in it at the moment.
Old 26-08-12, 21:31   #33
FLY-03L
Official Member

Car: 5 Speed VL SL
Trader Rating: (6)
Looks good mate... 9" diff, jesus! You can get 31 spline billet axle for the borgie diff...

The calais roof lining will have holes in it for side lights, which there are no brackets for on SL's. Youll be able to work something out though
Old 26-08-12, 21:47   #34
Tic
Player

Yeah ive been looking into all the diff options and i want to go a tru trac centre and they are alot cheaper for the 9 inch which means there isnt alot of price differance between built 9" and borgy. I have the rear coutesy lights, loom and brackets all here for when i find the roof lining.
Old 17-09-12, 19:15   #35
Tic
Player

Took the vl up to the drags on wednesday for a bit of fun. My best run was a 14.238@99.57mph. It was running as it is on the street on 14 psi boost still with the high comp motor, it ran perfect for the 7 runs that i got in and im going to head up again in 2 weeks to attempt to crack a 13.
Old 02-10-12, 19:26   #36
Tic
Player

Picked up a 9 inch diff to replace the 25 spline borgy on the weekend. The 9 inch is minispooled with 4:11 gears. Now i just need to get the rear of the tailshaft modded to suit and itll go in. Plan is still to get a tru trac centre for it but this will do for now.

Also went up to the drags again last wednesday and ran a best of 14.163@101.16 mph
Old 24-04-13, 20:40   #37
Tic
Player

Got a 3 inch turbo back exhaust made by Redstar fabrications in late feb. It is the best fitting well made exhaust, very happy with it and the performance gain was great.

I took the vl up to powercruise Sydney and had a ball. The weather was a bit om and off but still had a great time till the vl developed a miss on the saturday arvo which ended up being it lifting the head and blown head gasket so i spectated for the rest of the weekend.

I didnt want to got to all the effort of doing the head if i wasnt going to improve it so i got 1mm oversize valave on the inlet and exhaust and 1.3mm mls headgasket and arp studs to keep it all together and ever since has been going great.

After all that i took it up to the last sunday wsid street meet and ran a best of 13.66@102mph, i think thats not to bad for a stock little t3 turbo and i think there might be more in it with a bit more boost and on a cooler night.

i also picked up complete beige berlina trim but the seats didnt clean up well enough for me to put in so im going to get them retrimed in sl material and have the pocket in the back of the front seats and the fold down arm rest in the rear. The door trims and kick panels are in tho, not pics yet tho.
Old 24-04-13, 20:57   #38
WGN030
Gold Members

Car: VL
good read mate im lovin it turbo and the turbo caps mint cant wait to see more cheers
WGN030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-13, 21:33   #39
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Nice build thread, good to see that you know whats going on and are doing the work. If your not handy with a spray gun, you can get mx grey mixed into a spray can and do your bumpers like that.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 14:22   #40
Tic
Player

Thats for the comments guys. I got a mate that is painter so i am going to get him to repaint all the bars and moulds for me eventually. For now the focus is on getting my berlina turbo wagon restored and on the road.
Old 23-06-13, 20:39   #41
Tic
Player

Since last update i have put in a wade 1620 cam which is the biggest cam that can still use the stock computer,has a nice lumpy idle and goes good.

Also got some white walls done which ive been wanting to do for years and finally got around to getting them done, i was unsure of how they would look with the turbo hubcaps but i like them.

took it to the last sunday street meet at sydney dragway again and ran a pb of 12.959@108mph, i didnt think i would ever run a 12 with the stock turbo, so to celebrate i put it on the burnout pad for a bit of fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lw3RXjf_LQ

bought a microtech lt10s to start off the next lot of upgrades which came with loom and hand controller
Old 23-06-13, 21:18   #42
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Looks nice man, i like the white walls.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-13, 21:36   #43
3lturbo

Awesome car mate, keep the updates coming.
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-14, 22:52   #44
Tic
Player

I havent updated this for a while so here whats been going on with this

First thing since last time is front brake upgrade to vn grpA twin piston front calipers and 330mm rotors which also means running at least 16 inch wheels so its rolls on walkinshaw wheels at the moment, thinking about going back to smaller brakes to run hubcaps again tho but undecided as yet.

got a few goodies from custom plenum creations/redstar fab including cpc street version plenum and bmi 80mm throttle body, chassis rail mounted catch can, power steering fluid reseviour and undercar surge tank with twin 044 outlets for e85 in the future.

went to powerplay sydney back in late last year for a bit of fun. it ran great all day except when it blew a silicon joiner off the turbo on the burnout pad at the end of the day.

at the track it has run the best of 12.6@111mph with a 1.798 60ft on normal street tyres. i have some et streets but am yet to get off the line well with them.

Also went out to a mates party for some burnout fun. Went thru 5 pairs of tyres in one afternoon and the vl ran great and loved 3rd gear but the rear quarters had seen better days but has been tidied up now.