User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > Other VLs
Tyres Now

Old 21-08-11, 14:39   #1
onetidyvl
Official Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ongoing project , n/a to turbo

hello calais turbo , ive always wanted to do a writeup so here we go!

about 3 1/2 years ago i was looking for a car to learn in , but i wanted to learn in a manual and all the cars we had at the time were autos. I originaly wanted to buy something already done up but after looking around i found out that was way too far out of my price range. Then i tuned to find a vl that i could buildup overtime.

One day i got a call from my Sister telling me there was a vl for sale down the road and it was a 5 speed. So one morning i went down to have a look at it and fell in love with it.

that evening we brought it for $2800, it was all i was after as a L plate car and i knew i had big plans for it.
heres some more pics from the day i brought it ......

I dont know what they F*** they were thinking about with the red steering wheel / pedals / and gearshifter lol, so i quickly relaced that.

when i brought the car i found some rust bubbling around the windows. so i saved up and got that fixed as soon as possible , heres some pics of how bad it was .

after...

after a while of driving i found out that i was using alot of coolant , and the oil was going milky under the oilcap ... cracked head , so once again , i saved up as quick as a could and found a 2nd n/a head and got them changed over.

now with all the major probelms sorted i could finally start moddiifyng it , i wanted it look like a calais cause i liked the front end on them, but i didnt want it to look like a half a**'d job so i wanted to get a calais front and rear sorted , after some looking around on ebay we stated emaling a guy that was wrecking a calais and got the parts i was after to get posted down to canberra ,

i found a grey series 2 calais interior in albury for $400 so we took the 4hr trip there to pick it up

I got sick of the stock speakers so i went out and brought a new system, I wanted to base the setup on another vl ive seen

bootsetup i wanted to base mine on.

my sub setup.

after a while i started to get sick of my 17" CSA wheels and wanted something bigger and to suit my car ,after a while of looking a found a set of 19" VE ssv rims and i just loved the look of them on vls so i went out a brought a set off a guy on ebay.

I got them whitewalled white/red stripe.

then for a while i left it as is , my focus started to fade away from the vl onto other things , when i started my apprentaship , my focus started to come back to my car and i started saving for the next thing .... turbo. after months of saving i could start to afford the parts needed , i broght a turbo 28spline lsd off trent ... [FLY-BYE] for $350 , took it to the shop got it all machined and whatever needed to be fixed with it. here how it sitts now.

then i wanted to go for the original look , so one of my mates had vl calais rims just sitting at his house , i broght them for $80 , and the only problem was that they were on belts , after a bit of TLC i got them polished up

after a few weeks of saving , took a trip upto sydney and scored VLT brakes , 1inch master cylinder and calais looms.

After saving on apprentice wages , i started to email people about turbo engines and gearboxes , after a while i found someone who was selling basicly everything , turbo motor , box , ecu , running gear , tailshaft . so i had a look at that and all the numbers were matching so i brought it all for $2500.

pic from C4C8

I always wanted venetions and a mate of mine was stripping his vl , scored these

all i still need is the quarter panels

well thats basicly how it sits now , and i'll keep posted you posted when the turbo motors being dropped in ..... thanks.
Old 09-11-11, 14:16   #2
samsSL
Gold Members

Genuine calais aye bull****ter... haha you must've meant motor, but it looked tonnes different the other day, I was gonna ask if you ever had a set of calais rims on it but it looks like you did already.. why no venetians? side skirts look boss now btw

keen to see this turbod next time i see it
Old 21-12-11, 11:08   #3
onetidyvl
Official Member

Quote:
Genuine calais aye bull****ter... haha you must've meant motor, but it looked tonnes different the other day, I was gonna ask if you ever had a set of calais rims on it but it looks like you did already.. why no venetians? side skirts look boss now btw

keen to see this turbod next time i see it
ahaha , yeah must of ment the motor cause that was out of a CT. when was this at the ACT cruise? ive only got rear venetions at the moment but when i save some more dough ill get quarters and sideskirts. thanks man appricaiacte it.

well ive finaly got some time to catchup on the writeup.

the turbo motors finaly in. its such a difference when moving from n/a

here it is the day i picked it up

happy with the engine , considering it was in unknown condition when i brought it, took the mechainics 2 days to install the motor and turbo breaks.

rajabs [DFWISH] was also being worked on at the same mechaincs that put my engine in.

that night i noticed i had no oil psi. oil had been leaking out at an astonahing rate and now i had to make it home. swung by the servo and picked up a 5ltr bottle of oil and luckly made it home without any damage. the next day we looked at what was causing this oil leak , turns out it was the "extention" on the oil reader for the gauges had came off.

took that off and now its been fine since.

me and the old man put the 28 spline turbo lsd in it , in the meantime we got it rebuilt and tightend up , heres some pics of it getting put in

like every VLT i put a dose pipe on it lol.
i went to the local exhaust shop and asked for some 2.5" offcuts and walked away with plently of cuts of peices

ive been experamenting with pipes and i think ive found the right peice, 150mm with 45* angle

the paint on the rocker cover was S***house and was flaking , sanded it back and repainted it black , however im still unhappy with how it came out. later in the future i will get it resprayed the factory red with the "speckle?" finish. heres how it came out.
Before:

priming:

finish:

ive added a turbosmart boost tee and its running on 8-9psi however it still has the standard overboost unit on the plenum and is leaking boost.

my new plans now are to find a good turbo gearbox, looking at finding a r33 box and doing a conversion and eventually chase more power

thanks to rarespares for the lil things like badges i was after.

heres some pics on how its now

now all im after is quarter pannel venetions ,calais sideskirts and a stronger gearbox, and new wheels

thanks.
Old 14-04-12, 16:01   #4
FLY-03L
Official Member

Car: 5 Speed VL SL
Trader Rating: (6)
Very nice mate!! Absolutely love it. Damn that was some bad rust !! Mine wasnt even that bad... i thought you would of wrote the car off but you clearly did the right thing to look at how its turned out now!!
The only thing i notice it the white engine bay.. one bored weekend, take out the washer bottle and other accesories, tape up the motor and paint it satin black

Old 28-04-12, 11:09   #5
onetidyvl
Official Member

^^^ i love the look of that black engine bay, im really considering doing it today

more pics up soon..

---------- Post added 28-04-12 at 14:59 ----------

its been a while since i last updated ...

i fuarking love the turbo , never want to go back the n/a

anyways , i brought some personalised plates for my car , unlike NSW in ACT to get personalised plates costs $2500, so i compromised for the "Y" 2 letters - 3 numbers option which costs $400 and no annual fee.

heres when they arrived.

and on the car

anyways , the dose pipe was getting annoying and making the car run like **** so i went back to stock setup and its running better , i found a new home for the dose pipe but ....

after changing oil and sparkplugs , i pulled this out :S hmmm not good.

shocks went to **** and springs were fuarked so got them replaced , makes a world of difference and rides so much more smoothly

and finaly got my quaterpannel venetions, sets the car off i recon

i found a old n/a heatsheild so i cut and polished it up , its alright but im chasing a VLT heatshied so if anyone has me can you please contct me?

i would of went into more detial on things but its hard to remember what happend a few months ago ....

anywho some happysnaps

thanks guys and girls and give me you thoughts and opinions

MODS: REQUEST TO MOVE THIS TO THE VLT SECTION
Old 30-04-12, 16:15   #6
samsSL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetidyvl View Post
ahaha , yeah must of ment the motor cause that was out of a CT. when was this at the ACT cruise? ive only got rear venetions at the moment but when i save some more dough ill get quarters and sideskirts. thanks man appricaiacte it.
Wow you've done tonnes to this since the last time I saw you out front stuart flats haha. How much better is it with an lsd and a turbo lawl. I couldnt stand my vl doing single leggers.

The rims, walls, plates and venetians set it off. It looks like sex bro, you've done well. Do you get pulled over much but? i did my P off course before mine was even registered haha
Old 30-04-12, 19:03   #7
onetidyvl
Official Member

cheers man , ive only been pulled over in it once, and they didnt even care. yea i was gunna do P off but meh.
Old 04-05-12, 13:46   #8
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
Pity the guy that owns it is a poofcake.

<3 Liam
Old 05-05-12, 12:16   #9
onetidyvl
Official Member

ahahaha fuark off luke .... talk to me when you get your VX running
Old 20-05-12, 17:07   #10
onetidyvl
Official Member

done some work this weekend ,

the old vynal in the boot setup had seen its time and was looking rough

so i had some old floorboards from an extention we had around 10 yrs ago so i swapped the vynal to boards using the existing frames we had already in it.

here we go , this is a before photo

started with the amp side , seeing as it was the smallest area to cover i thought if this was gunna work or not id find out there ...

before:

took the amp off and stipped the vynal

cut out the boards to the shape of the frame and had a perfect fit!

amp back on..

using my old mans powersaw a could tell the blade was sheit .... but not this sheit...

stripped the bottom of the frame and cut it to fit , theres a pic 2/3 of the way done

cutting the sub base was a pain, measured and cut to fit no dramas , but had the jigsaw blade snap , it made things a bit harder... anyways finaly cut the holes to fit , took longer than it sould of

cause i was cutting my boards next to my car , it now looks like its been in storage for 20 yrs ... so i thought id write zututu lol

cut up a frame thisarvo to cover up the lights section

and there we go , im pretty happy about it , seeing as ive never seen this done before on a car ..

give me your opinons and thoughts

thanks guys/girls
Old 27-05-12, 16:57   #11
onetidyvl
Official Member

hey so done some more work, i painted my rockercover , ive been trying to get the original red wrinkle finish for ages but everywhere i go i cant find the right paint , the closest i can get is wrinkle black , so i thought to myself , if i buy black wrinkle and red paint it should come out how it should , however this didnt really work that well , so i repainted it and kept it black finish , im happy with it but however i'll eventually get the correct colour wrinkle paint and keep trying til im happy , however less chit chat more pics ..

the begining , just pulled off

got my other rockercovers out too see if they'ed fit on motor but its different , never thought there was a difference in VLT rockercovers

some progress pics , half sanded

primed it and because it was a top of 11* in canberra this weekend it thought id have better luck with drying in here

wrinkle paint just apllyed , its cool how it works

1st coat a few hrs after ,

repainted black , and just dryed

sanded my screws back to bare metal to give some contrast to the black , too bad you really cant see them

just screwed back on

also , found these bad boys laying around , theres so awsome but so stupid , they play the dukes of hazzard horn

anyways give me your thought and opinions , id love to hear what you think!

anyways i got some stuff from ebay coming so i'll have some more progress pics coming soon!
Old 17-06-12, 12:12   #12
onetidyvl
Official Member

so my dash went kaput , my fuel gauge stopped working , speed was 10km/h above and volts were on/off

so over time ive accured a few parts here and there so i thought id swap the dash clusters around , pretty easy job , spent most of the time just cleaning the dust off it , anyways i only took one pic but the new clusters in , and everything works .. EVEN FUEL ..

i found this front screen for the cluster out the back , with the OG sticker still on it , here it is

Old 25-06-12, 19:43   #13
onetidyvl
Official Member

had a free day on the weekend , and it was nice warm and sunny " well 15 degrees in canberras warm aha "

so i took the car out for a spin around canberra and then took it to bungendore roughly 40 mins away , it all went well but DEFFENLY needs a wheel alignment , vibratess alot over 100km/h although im happy with how it went , its been the 1st real time ive taken it out of canberra , also , overtakes well compared to the n/a days when i took it out interstate for footy etc

anyways , went to the airport and took some happysnaps , i wanted to get some planes in the backround, so i was driving around the airport and found this newly developed work buildings that were deserted , all i saw was 2 sparkys vans , so tooks some pics in there. then found this carpark right next to the where the sydney conection planes where sitting "canberra dosent have 747's" i would of been 20 - 30 meters away from the planes , it was cool , and very noisy.

anyways less chat more photos ,

anyways , i want to buy a profresional camerra and get some hi res photos , although the ipone 4s with instagram takes a fairly decent photo anyways , props to PSIPHOTOS cause i based my car on some of the anges on the cars done on their website

thanks and give me your thoughts

::::MODS CAN YOU MOVE MY THREAD TO VLT BUILD SECTION PLZ::::

---------- Post added 25-06-12 at 18:50 ----------

also , i need to fix my pop ups , they kinda look like this

Old 13-07-12, 11:48   #14
samsSL
Gold Members

Wrinkle Red

oi you can get VHT wrinkle red at autobarn in belco, I got a can yesterday to do mine haha its like 20 bucks.

I like your plates, i wanna think up something good involving Y at the front...soooo cheap. How much extra did it cost to get them in red?

Last edited by samsSL; 13-07-12 at 11:53.
samsSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-12, 17:13   #15
onetidyvl
Official Member

sorry i havent looked at my theread in ages , really? next time im up there i'll swing by , im in no hurry to get it red but id like to change it.

no charge in colour , ive thought of a few with Y so pm me if yr intrestered in some recomendations ...
Old 16-08-12, 20:25   #16
vl4skids
Gold Members

Car: vl sl turbo
I bought black wrinkle from there after I read that lol
vl4skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 20:26   #17
onetidyvl
Official Member

i went to repco in tuggers and i had to be very specific ... aparently i had to call them on a monday so they could order , however they woldnt write the order down for me ....
Old 17-08-12, 21:20   #18
vl4skids
Gold Members

Want me to get you some from belco mate lol. I'm doing a deck at floriade on Sunday if that's closer to home for ya
vl4skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-12, 18:28   #19
onetidyvl
Official Member

hey , sorry i dont really keep upto date with my ct account , nah its okay , i'll just wait it out , im in no hurry to get it
Old 10-12-12, 11:43   #20
RB Onevia
VLless

Car: 05 HSV VZ Senator
Send a message via MSN to RB Onevia
when are you going to up the power?
Old 10-12-12, 12:24   #21
vl4skids
Gold Members