Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > Queensland
Tyres Now

Old 24-12-11, 11:26   #1
gold-vlt
Player

Car: fg xr6t daily, 88 vl series 200, 86 vl executive wagon, e46 barra powered
Trader Rating: (7)
WTB fabricated replacement panels

Hi i'm looking for someone preferably from queensland that can make me up a couple of replacement panels from some sheet metal.

I've pulled the windscreen out of my wagon and it is rusted out badly through the cowl panel, both front pillars and also along the roofline where the windscreen sits in. it is only the top skin that is gone.

So i'll need 3 panels. 2 front pillar panels from about halfway into the middle of the pillar to under where the screen sits (where the spot welds are) and one long panel for where the windscreen sits along the roofline.
I have some measurements and wire templates also.

I did find an old guy who said he would do it but he ****ed me around for months before i ended up walking in and he started then and there, then he showed it to me next to the template and it was no where near close enough to factory so that the screen would seal correctly. not only that but it didnt even keep that same bend the whole way down the panel and there where extra bends where he ****ed it up. Needless to say, it was not going to fit. The old prick didnt give a **** either and was very rude..

Anyone know of someone who can knock these up to be the right shape for a reasonable price?
gold-vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-11, 21:35   #2
FATMAN
Gold Members

Car: Red Berlina Turbo(PSI 11), Blue over Silver Calais Turbo(51KVL), Orange Aero Turbo(08OOST)
Trader Rating: (17)
Send a message via MSN to FATMAN Send a message via Skype™ to FATMAN
those kinds of panel beaters are hard to find and very expensive, u can buy the front cowl replacement panel from the panel house, other options would be to cut the bits u need from another good shell.
WRECKING - HSV VN SV3800 COMMODORE #193 of 491 $999 Negotiable 0403 421 166
FATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-11, 10:37   #3
gold-vlt
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATMAN View Post
those kinds of panel beaters are hard to find and very expensive, u can buy the front cowl replacement panel from the panel house, other options would be to cut the bits u need from another good shell.
I am able to mig weld the panels in myself i just need the panels made up.
The old metal fab guy only wanted $10 to make all 3 panels so i said mate i'll give you twice that but the problem was he has been working for way too long and has next to zero interest and pride in jobs like that. hence why that panel he made was so ****.
I do have a wagon shell which i could cut the pillars out of and weld them in but im not too confident in replacing the complete pillar as opposed to just replacing the inner of the top skin.
I also found a buyer for that wagon shell so i would loose out on that sale too. You dont know anyone that has a f'd up vl shell that they are scrapping do you?
Old 26-12-11, 21:12   #4
RB-GEM
LS1 Powered

Car: LS1 powered VH , VS Statesman
Trader Rating: (4)
You do realise that the car won't be as strong structurally once you chop out all these sections and weld new pieces in . It Will also rust next to wherever you mig weld . Make sure you use cavity wax/stone guard on the underside of wherever you mig weld . Just been through this process on my vk as it had previously had a dodgy repair done and im fussy and wanted it as per factory . Had to do sill panel , dog leg and quarter . It's a long fcuking process . Good luck
RB-GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-11, 16:25   #5
gold-vlt
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-GEM View Post
You do realise that the car won't be as strong structurally once you chop out all these sections and weld new pieces in . It Will also rust next to wherever you mig weld . Make sure you use cavity wax/stone guard on the underside of wherever you mig weld . Just been through this process on my vk as it had previously had a dodgy repair done and im fussy and wanted it as per factory . Had to do sill panel , dog leg and quarter . It's a long fcuking process . Good luck
why wouldnt the pillars be as strong structurally if i'm doing proper nice clean welds and using a good gas mig welder? i was going to coat everything so it wont rust after i treat it all. then grind the metal back and fill.
I've started looking at a couple other vl wagons and a sedan as an alternative solution. I've found mint low k one owner examples for under $2000 locally.