Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > Victoria
G-Cylinder

Old 28-07-10, 13:11   #1
bar0034
Player

Car: VS SS, VU SS
Trader Rating: (2)
Questions about EPA....

hey all....im posting this for a mate who doesnt have a ct.com account...

basically he has a highly modified R33 skyline and last friday we got pulled over and defected....now he will cop the defect and clear that but he is VERY confused as to what to do about this EPA that the police officer had tolf him he would recive....

the car was finished on tuesday night after a LONG 13 month build only to be pulled up, defected and told he would be recieving a EPA on that same friday night after only 30 Minutes of driving.....

now my question is this....is there anyway he can keep his car as is to sell off for private track use etc etc....because he has got all the info from epa regarding the list of modifications that he can and cant have from there website and just about EVERYTHING has to come off and returned to standard....

i know this epa notice as stated by the EPA officer we spoke to on the phone was for " IN-USE" vehicle hence cars that are driving on the road and registered...

do EPA NOTICE'S stick to a car like a defect or how does it work???

i mean he is completly confused, mentaly and emotionally exhuasted and litterally out of money due to the tens of thousands of dollars he had just spent on the engine....i mean would people be interested in buying such a car knowing it had been defected and "apparently" summonds for a EPA test???

basic run down of mods:

Full engine rebuild:
Ross Racing Forged pistons
ACL race bearing throughout
Heads ported and polished
OVerhauled Oil Pump
Standard Rods heat treated and shot peened
Tightened Valve Springs
Fully balanced and blueprinted
Lightened Camshafts
Lightened Crankshaft
(thats all we can think of off the top of our head)

Engine Bits:
Garrett 35/40 on a custom top mount manafold
38mm Watsegate w/ Screamer
Sard Fuel Pressure Reg
Custom Intake Plenum
XF Throttle body
Lengthened Throttle cable
880cc Bosch Injectors
Billit fuel rail
Spitfire Coil Packs
Custom Catch can with breather
Custom 3" dump pipe
Microtec LT10S
Bosch 040 Intake fuel pump
Custom Stiched Turbo Beanie
Braided OIl and water lines
Customised Intercooler Piping
4" 45degree bend with Pod

Car made 236kw ATW on 12psi so it has LOTS of potential but my mate just cant be bothered with it any more as its been nothing but headaches with it and wants a new project

so ANY help would be MUCH APPRECITED

Cheers all
bar0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-10, 13:24   #2
brawlr
still a player

Car: HBD vy ss / HZ v8 tonner
Trader Rating: (11)
Was he epa'd for just noise or emissions as well?
Old 28-07-10, 13:25   #3
BRODWN
Player

Car: VL Turbo Wagon
Trader Rating: (0)
i thought the car would just have to pass sound and emmisions test....?

---------- Post added 28-07-10 at 13:32 ----------

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf
Old 28-07-10, 14:14   #4
bar0034
Player

yea it would be for both noise and emmisions....

noise isnt the issue as we can get a stock exhaust from cat back or restrict it etc etc...

its the emissions thats the killer cos that basically means for it to pass an emmisoons test EVERYTHING has to come off bar a pod filter....i have read up on it and there is a 20 page document outlining what you can/cant have on a modified "in use" street vehicle.....

the exhuast is rediculasly loud and he will cop that coz thats a given, but becuase the officer opened the bonet and sighted it all and his words where "the EPA are gonna love you!!!" it will need to be emmisions tested....

but with no documentation regarding this how are we ment to know what to do by just going by the word of an officer....we explained the situation on having the car on the road for 3 days after a 13 month build he was a little simpathetic but we accepted the fact that to have a modified street car of this nature was un-acceptable and there was NO ARGUMENT about it all

just we need advice on what to do as he has been quoted close to $2,500 for stripping the mods off and returning to stock with us to supply the stock parts.....

poor kid has no money atm coz its tied up in the car and we cant go forward or backwards coz we are un sure as what to do......

any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 28-07-10, 14:27   #5
BRODWN
Player

Car: VL Turbo Wagon
yeh i just read that **** and nearly fell off my chair....that sucks man. Good luck to your mate with it all, I would be supremely angry
Old 28-07-10, 14:51   #6
bar0034
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRODWN View Post
yeh i just read that **** and nearly fell off my chair....that sucks man. Good luck to your mate with it all, I would be supremely angry
hahahaha cheers mate....trust me he is taking it EXTREMLY well he just wants advice on what to do....

hes trying to see if there is ways around it without having to put the hand back in the pocket coz there is a big enough hole in it already

so yea just need to know the ins and outs and if anyone else has gone through this

cheers
Old 28-07-10, 20:42   #7
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
He has a few options.

1. Return everything to standard
2. Swap with stock engine
3. De-register.
4. Sell, then its someone elses problem if they want to register it.
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 01:22   #8
darkstar
Silver Bullet

Car: 5spd Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (21)
Send a message via ICQ to darkstar
PROGMH is right on the money.

He needs to put a stock engine in there and get it tested and then he can swap his hi performance engine back in. Costly, but that is the only way.

You will not pass an EPA if the engine is modified, or even has ONE vacuum hose out of place. 100% stock as a rock is required. Stay away from INDY in Cheltenham. The guy is harsh and dobs you in again so he can get more business.
Old 29-07-10, 02:47   #9
aus880
Gold Members

Car:
Trader Rating: (27)
no reason why he can't simply deregister it and sell it off as a track car, expensive mistake he made

lesson is he should have done his homework before he modded the car and blew all his $ as well

i'd be guessing he has no comp insurance either

www.Facebook.com/cpv.com.au
"Real cars, real history"
aus880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 07:18   #10
tab
EVENT OFFICIAL

Car: black vl calais fuel injected with 8 pistons
Trader Rating: (3)
epa notice will stick to that car untill it is cleared, if its not cleared by the due date, car rego will be suspended, so long as the car is registered and the epa notice still not cleared, it is illegal to sell the car. as mentioned above, de register car and sell it or you have to drop a stock engine in it to clear the epa if you want to clear it. but think about it properly before you decide for the long term of the car, my mate got epa`d on the same car(full emmision epa`s) 5 times now and on the fifth epa he had fines totaling close to $10,000 (because he kept changing his engine everytime he copped a epa, and they caught up with it.). it is a high offence to delibretly break epa laws. i hate victoria for this very reason, bloddy epa`s, no other state really bothers......
tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 15:22   #11
bar0034
Player

AUS880:

The original idea for this car was to go full slepper spec...like everything blacked up so it would be hard to regognise aftermarket from stock to the un-trained eye...

this obviously went south as when i went to fit my standard intake over the bigger injectors and billet rail it wouldnt fit without taking a huge slice out of the intake manafold...so i decided ti have it cut off and forward faced stanard intake....then thats when it snowballed out of controll with then deciding to go high mount etc etc....

i am now spewing that i didnt just work around all that because if i was to have it how i originaly planned i wouldnt be in this situation that i am now...and i would of more than likely just got defected and hushed off to enjoy the rest of my night instead of pulling into the next servo for a smoke sitting on the gutter with my head in my hands wondering what the **** to do next....

im used to having locked up vr/vs and vl etc etc.....this scene is all new to me and i think i just got over whelmed in it all and just went silly on the mods

having said that it has hounestly been a very stress free build its just the time taking and money spent that is the killer....

i have since spoken to a friend of mine who is willing to chuck it all back to stock to pass the epa test if it is require....and all that i have to do is drag my arse down there on a few saturday morning and and keep a steady suplly of alcoholic beverages and we should be right....

its all well and good swaping a stock engine in BUT.....that still means new exhuast, and aftermarket ECU has to be yanked up out of there to....so there is ALOT of work to be done

i have been thinking about what to do with it all and have decided to buy a daily vs berlina off a mate who recently aqquired a new car and wont use....de-rego the skyline (rang up epa for adivce to see if the notice will still stick) and sit it in the garage for a little while and see if the notice comes....and eveb if the notices comes and the car has been de rego'd they said they wave the notice BUT it still will need to be cleared for it to ever be registered again

so in tern i have alot of thinking to do and i am grateful to have mates and family around me that are willing to support me throughout this whole debarkle and thanks to everyone who has given advice and keep it coming

cheers

Luke
Old 29-07-10, 16:41   #12
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
I wouldn't deregister it until you get the EPA notice.

I was talking to Mark about your car today... such a shame, but then again that's the risk with modified cars.
Hopefully you work out what you're doing.
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 12:58   #13
Magnum06
Player

Car: Ferrari 360 spider
Trader Rating: (3)
Countless hours, countless late nights, countless afternoons and the stress involved building a car to then get defected/EPA'd would shatter any bloke who has just gone to the huge effort. It's all easy said then done swapping over an engine/exhaust/ECU and anything else. Your basically doing everything twice, and quite frankly I don't know how some people push themselves to do it... I know I couldn't anyway.

Hope you work it all out soon champ. Would be hard having different options on each side of your head with each one being as difficult as the other.
Magnum06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 14:02   #14
Agent86
Player

Car:
and thus the reason the melbourne car scene is laying in pieces..

Sucks major bat to be in this situation, but thats the risk taken in vic with a modified street car.

get it all back to stock, clear it, get a quieter exhaust = less attention, no huge mags = less attention and TRY to minimise the visual impact of all underhood mods..

OR you own a track only car..
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 13:07   #15
bar0034
Player

cheers for all the feedback guys...i appreciate any input and also take constructive critisism in my stride...

im not to bitter about all this coz at the end of the day i choose to make it all pretty and i got no one to blame but myself

at the moment i have purchased a daily driver off a mate to get me to work etc etc untill i can work out what im gonna do with the car

its all now a big waiting game to see if i actually get a love note from the epa...this friday coming up will mark 1 month since i got pinned so i dare say id see the notice within the next 2 weeks so im bracing myself for it all

ive already started stripping parts off the car that got me noticed in the first place eg: rims, plates etc etc

cheers all