calaisturbo.com.au

calaisturbo.com.au (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/index.php)
-   Western Australia (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   1986 VL Build (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=278349)

Psychotik 02-09-15 00:04

1986 VLT America's Cup Build
 
Albeit me saying that I will never get another VL again, here I am. I quickly got bored of my VX SS as I ran into several issues with it… so traded her for a 1986 America’s Cup VL Turbo. I thought the deal was fairly good, however, I quickly learned that it wasn’t.

She was starting to blow white smoke, I didn’t think much of it, and continued driving it. However I was losing a significant amount of coolant every time I drove it. So she got parked up and I got a mate to come round and diagnose the issue (as I had not a clue what was wrong with it). At this point it was discovered that the turbo had been hooked up wrong, by the ex-owner. This is where the list of problems started…

 Turbo had coolant hooked up to the oil lines.
 Head gasket blew.
 Power steering leak.
 Hoses were blocked off which shouldn’t have been.
 Oil filter needed replacing.
 CAS went (Whole dizzy got replaced, just in case because who knows what the ex-owner f*cked up).
 Electrical issues (Still ongoing as of 14/2/16)
 Broken throttle cable.
 Mismatched bolts.
 Using stock injectors (N/A) and a stock computer (N/A).

At this point, I had enough. All the turbo gear + stuff I had bought, was pulled off and sold off including the:

 3” Exhaust.
 Turbo and manifold.
 Boost gauge.
 440cc Injectors.
 Braided lines.

At this current stage in time, I may turbo her, but it will most likely be low mount, however, this may change in the future. I only say this as I intend to buy a Calais to make big HP with and keep this as a daily.
As she sits at the moment she has the current modifications:

 16x7 VE Interceptor rims. (225 Rear; 205 Front).
 Rear White Venetian Blinds.
 Shocks and springs replaced all round.
 Turbo front slotted rotors.
 Aftermarket speakers.
 Sports steering wheel.
 Aftermarket head unit.
 Manta Exhaust.
 Pod Filter.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...pse9ukgzmr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RIhDH2S.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OPX7NGc.jpg

fmx939 02-09-15 00:25

Yes! My America's cup brother!!

Psychotik 02-09-15 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmx939 (Post 3065077)
Yes! My America's cup brother!!

Do you know how many were made? Or does anyone for that matter? Kind of interested.

TheChad 02-09-15 15:31

Honestly glad to have you back mate. This site has been dead.

Your hilarious posts before weren't even that bad in the grand scheme of things, only more noticeable because you were the only one posting.

Psychotik 02-09-15 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChad (Post 3065092)
Honestly glad to have you back mate. This site has been dead.

Your hilarious posts before weren't even that bad in the grand scheme of things, only more noticeable because you were the only one posting.

Cheers man! Yeah the site has been dead for a while now, but it still has an abundance of knowledge on it. So that's pretty good for me. Pitty it's not as active as it used to be... :/

fmx939 02-09-15 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychotik (Post 3065079)
Do you know how many were made? Or does anyone for that matter? Kind of interested.

Some say 500, seems the sl an all that got berlina upgrades. Mines number 8 an a Calais, so apart from the badge an the engraved clip that's all that's special.

BigM22 02-09-15 22:36

Nice to see you got another one mate :) keep updating as it's pretty quiet around here lol

Psychotik 03-09-15 01:12

Crazy how many documents and stuff came with the car. It even has birthday cards commemorating its first birthday and the original vehicle AD.. Here's some more pictures I took today. (Yes, there is a few..)

(I can't be bothered re-sizing them as they're large images.)
http://imgur.com/a/wdt2l

Psychotik 05-09-15 02:21

Updated thread OP with more information.
--
I seem to have some issues when starting cold, could be spark plugs? Injectors? F*ck knows. Will look into it tomorrow.

caibs 07-09-15 12:17

c.a.s most likely haha. always keep a spare in the glovebox. nice looking rig mate !

Psychotik 07-09-15 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by caibs (Post 3065200)
c.a.s most likely haha. always keep a spare in the glovebox. nice looking rig mate !

Cheers man. She has a stock ECU in it because old owner probably didn't know **** all about what to do, so gotta go get one of them. Also injectors are stock hence why its only running 5PSI gonna go pickup some turbo ones or some ****. Dunno what size though? There is also a powersteering leak near the rack so gotta fix that.

Steve 07-09-15 20:21

Turbo injectors need turbo ecu.
Bigger injectors need an aftermarket ecu etc

SIroller 08-09-15 16:01

pictures of americas cup logos emblems and badging?

also looks nice goodluck with plans!

Psychotik 09-09-15 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIroller (Post 3065232)
pictures of americas cup logos emblems and badging?

also looks nice goodluck with plans!

I'll get a few pics tomorrow, only have one badge on the inside as the previous owner removed the outer ones... bloody moron. The owner previous to the guy I got it off has been a real good help, especially with some of the issues I've been experiencing.. At the moment I need to look into why she's blowing white smoke on cold start up. Its not the head, but it might be the turbo not being fed oil or water. One of the two. Old mate is gonna come down and have a look next weekend *Hopefully* to try and decipher the issue. After which I'm gonna have to blow like $400 + on new injectors, spark plugs and ECU.

Then I can finally start doing other stuff like chucking on some pursuits, sourcing some venetians etc etc.

brussel 09-09-15 10:46

my only advice is buy quality from the start, otherwise your costs will blow out as cheap **** doesnt last :)

Psychotik 09-09-15 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by brussel (Post 3065250)
my only advice is buy quality from the start, otherwise your costs will blow out as cheap **** doesnt last :)

Will do man haha. Gonna make sure she runs well and has the best parts in her. At the moment however, I have to diagnose as to what the old owner f*cked up in regards to the turbo install, as he probs f*cked something somewhere.

REALIST 10-09-15 17:50

You're about 8 years too late for the prime days of VL's, but good luck with the new money pit anyway.
Americas Cup edition is something that doesn't show up too often at all!

Psychotik 10-09-15 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by REALIST (Post 3065298)
You're about 8 years too late for the prime days of VL's, but good luck with the new money pit anyway.
Americas Cup edition is something that doesn't show up too often at all!

I know man :( Most VL's nowadays are locked up, not running, unrego'd or simply just not in this state. Thanks but man I will sure enjoy her ;)

Yeah especially one in this condition mate, its got pretty much no rust at all just one or two small insignificant spots around the car. Hell theres no rust in the boot at all... its crazy haha. Much better than my old VL.

Psychotik 12-09-15 23:53

Here's the America's Cup Logo for those interested.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...psbpbts3lw.jpg

Psychotik 15-09-15 22:32

Just picked up 440cc GTR Injectors, any aftermarket computer recommendations which would do the job in regards to supporting them?

fmx939 16-09-15 00:07

Iv got a lt10's, hand held controler with new loom if u want. $500

Psychotik 16-09-15 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmx939 (Post 3065429)
Iv got a lt10's, hand held controler with new loom if u want. $500

Cheers man. As soon as I get the money, I'll jump onto it.
--
So at the moment, I currently need the following (probably going to grow by next weekend when I see a mate to see why its blowing white smoke....)

ESSENTIAL:
> New Injectors
> Aftermarket ECU.
> New Turbo seals / Valve Stem Seals (Maybe).
> Tune.
> Head Gasket

NON - ESSENTIAL:
> Cam ;)
> Pursuit Rims.
> King Springs.
> Venetian Blinds (Rear and Sides).
> Pay ProShine to professionally clean the car (Possibly; dependent on my laziness).
> Other bits and pieces...

caibs 18-09-15 21:15

Good choice on the injectors.

Personally I'd recommend a nistune. I've had a few different aftermarket ecu's but I really rate the nistune. It's cheap at like 880 installed and tuned, you don't need to butcher your wiring harness, no cold start issues, the only downside is that it retains the AFM, so reverb from the turbo can cause it to stall. There are some pretty simple ways around that though like convoluted intake piping. Hyperdrive has done the one in my corolla, and touchup/retunes are pretty cheap too.

Another limitation are 1000cc+ injectors become difficult to tune (not really an issue unless you want to run e85 any time soon)

Psychotik 18-09-15 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by caibs (Post 3065517)
Good choice on the injectors.

Personally I'd recommend a nistune. I've had a few different aftermarket ecu's but I really rate the nistune. It's cheap at like 880 installed and tuned, you don't need to butcher your wiring harness, no cold start issues, the only downside is that it retains the AFM, so reverb from the turbo can cause it to stall. There are some pretty simple ways around that though like convoluted intake piping. Hyperdrive has done the one in my corolla, and touchup/retunes are pretty cheap too.

Another limitation are 1000cc+ injectors become difficult to tune (not really an issue unless you want to run e85 any time soon)

Cheers man I'll look into it. Just need to make some money haha. Injectors will probably sit there for a while till I fix everything wrong with her. Seriously considering selling some of my gaming gear to fund her.. but we'll see.

caibs 18-09-15 23:21

No rush man


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger