View Full Version : removing wiring loom-engine change

OMG3LT
18-10-06, 17:17
hey guys how do i go about removing the wiringharness when doin an engine change. do i have to disconnect everything or cnt i just run it through the firewall and leave it hanging since i have 2 wiring harnesses

another quesiton do the belts eg timing , a/c alternator have to be loosend up?

BlackVL
19-10-06, 09:52
What do you mean you have 2 harnesses? anyway im gonna assume you wanna use the harness on the engine. Id just unplug everything on the engine and let it hang inside the engine bay, its pretty simple but easy to miss plugs so give it a thorough going over.

Alternatively you can remove it from the firewall but you will fark the plastic bracket thing that holds it there and its a pain in the ass to get off, upto you really.

As far as belts go should be fine to remove engine will all belts as is, however i recommend removing the radiator to aid in clearance.

Hope this helps....

vlthunter
19-10-06, 10:15
leave all the plugs attatched to the engine and remove the loom through the firewall, i have done it several times and never damaged anything, well i cut my thumb open so be carful, use a flathead screwdriverto push the tabs through.
it is far quicker than undoing all the plugs and crap :)

as for belts and crap, they can all stay, you need to remove the radiator and if its an auto make sure you unattatch the auto lines which are bolted to the sump, as well as any powersteering lines which are attached to the sump (well i think they are attached)

What do you mean you have 2 harnesses? anyway im gonna assume you wanna use the harness on the engine. Id just unplug everything on the engine and let it hang inside the engine bay, its pretty simple but easy to miss plugs so give it a thorough going over.

he means that he has a loom on the engine then another one from somewhere else, thats my guess.

Bax
19-10-06, 14:33
do manuals and auto's have the loom running through different places in the firewall?

I've got the plugs for the engine coming out of the clutch master hole, doesn't look like it should be there, the car used to be an auto. what's the go there?

OMG3LT
21-10-06, 01:33
thanks guys for the info jus another thing how can i hide wiring? where do i put the mother #$%^&* :P