View Full Version : i want to get my car painted?

17YR_VL_B
18-10-06, 08:51
ok heres the deal i picked up my vl berlina s2 na for 500 bucks from an elderly couple it was in imaculate condition other than the little bit a rust under the front and rear winda's other than that it its going great just not long ago i got the rust cut out of it and the stell plates put in and then they got painted the original colour ( white ) and omg they did the crappiest job on the front half the painted over the dam windscreen squirters and when they replaced my front windscreen its great too but i have all these bits of paint in my air vents so every time i turn the aircon on it sprays out all these little bits of flaked paint come flying out. very unnhappy for the price i paid them. anyway now i wanna get my car resprayed would like some help on what colour i want to either get um like a uhh i think its like a base black with clear over top. or um midnight purple.
just need some help with colour choosing and if i get them to strip the car for me cuz i dont want those white strips on my doors when i open the door and i want the engine bay done too so basically a shell respray how much is going to cost me if they strip it an all?????

holdonv8
18-10-06, 10:03
5-6k for a good job 3-4 for a half decent job, if you want a good job theres 1500 in materials easy and time = good job and time cost $$$$,if you choose the lowest quote your also choosing the risk of a crap job.

spirit77
18-10-06, 10:43
How much is it gonna cost you for a bare metal respray ?
How long is a piece of string?

Considering the VL is a 20 year old car you have no history of the car for the last 20 years. And not all crash repairs do dodgy work. There job is to fix a car so u cant tell its been smashed.

My point it what u have to factor is once the car is stripped back to bare metal there may be additional costs not originally quoted.
Cause in the stripping process any previous putty repairs will be stripped out.
So those repairs will need re-puttying at a cost to you.
(cause the crash repairer quoted to paint it. And if thats all your willing to pay they will do their quote and paint over the dent)

Plus there may also be rust under mouldings and areas you dont see , or you may have not noticed that will need fixing.

Personally if someone quoted me $3000 for a bare metal respray id start running. Cause i wouldnt expect a half decent job id expect a **** one.

Anywhere from $5k upwards. Ive seen over $10k bare metal resprays .

Best way to find out is to put some petrol in ya car and drive to a few crash repairs. Let them have a look at your car. Tell them what you want and get a quote.
Then ask if they have any jobs they painted recently that you could look at. Most crash repairs dont have respray after respray so u probably wont look at a resprayed car. BUT they should have a repaired job so u could look at half a car or a side of a car thats been sprayed recently and judge for yourself if it looks good or ****.

If they say you cant look cause the paint job hasnt been buffed yet. You can scrub that crash repair off ya list. (cause if your goin bare metal respray you be going 2pak. And 2 pak needs lil bits of dirt or a small run sanded and polished out sometimes. But never to a point where it would be covered in dirt and runs that it needs they entrie job sanded and polished. If thats the case the painter cant paint)

17YR_VL_B
18-10-06, 11:04
hmm yup i know its going to cost me a bit cuz basically you get what you pay for. um can anyone tell me the paint code for the purple vl with the areo kit in this post.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=13957
i do rather like that colour or i might go black ontop and silver door moulds and bottom panel.

NZ EVLHSV
18-10-06, 11:06
ok heres the deal i picked up my vl berlina s2 na for 500 bucks from an elderly couple it was in imaculate condition other than the little bit a rust under the front and rear winda's other than that it its going great just not long ago i got the rust cut out of it and the stell plates put in and then they got painted the original colour ( white ) and omg they did the crappiest job on the front half the painted over the dam windscreen squirters and when they replaced my front windscreen its great too but i have all these bits of paint in my air vents so every time i turn the aircon on it sprays out all these little bits of flaked paint come flying out. very unnhappy for the price i paid them. anyway now i wanna get my car resprayed would like some help on what colour i want to either get um like a uhh i think its like a base black with clear over top. or um midnight purple.
just need some help with colour choosing and if i get them to strip the car for me cuz i dont want those white strips on my doors when i open the door and i want the engine bay done too so basically a shell respray how much is going to cost me if they strip it an all?????

You have to ask yourself what you want out of this car. Will it be a show car, weekend car, or daily driver?

If its a daily driver then a good respray in the factory white with silver Calais bars etc would be best value for money. Then a lowered on a nice set of 18s and you have yourself a real nice looking car for little money

17YR_VL_B
18-10-06, 12:03
hmm now theres an idea
i might stay with my white and keep it same paint without respray stock paint is in mint condition. bumpers and door moulds i will paint silver as they are old grey original and the paint basically rubs off with ya fingers. ok well im only 17 and would love to have a show car eventually but i think i might try and get a vlct for my show car anywayz um so how much would it cost me (approx) for the bumpers and the door moulds and that strip on the bottom half of the door?? will post some pics of what i mean if ya's dont know.

NZ EVLHSV
18-10-06, 12:18
Someone else will have to answer how much for the Calais bars and door moulds. but I wouldnt think it would be a lot. Get some factory Holden 18s and super low springs with decent shocks and you will be happy as Larry. Save your money and build a VLT once you are older and have cash to spare

My 2c

spirit77
18-10-06, 19:00
hmm now theres an idea
i might stay with my white and keep it same paint without respray stock paint is in mint condition. bumpers and door moulds i will paint silver as they are old grey original and the paint basically rubs off with ya fingers. ok well im only 17 and would love to have a show car eventually but i think i might try and get a vlct for my show car anywayz um so how much would it cost me (approx) for the bumpers and the door moulds and that strip on the bottom half of the door?? will post some pics of what i mean if ya's dont know.

Yea you can always pay to have the top colour cut and polished to bring up the gloss.

And the bottom sections to spray silver wont cost an arm and a leg.
The crash repair can spray a 2pak primer over the original paint to seal it in.
Then they just hand sand that primer and paint the bottom colour of your choice.

Nusk
19-10-06, 00:14
id say at a guess around 500 for the bars and door moulds