View Full Version : knock sensor??

sktz_vl
04-10-06, 22:27
ey guys/girls . i just wanna kno wen i change ma engine from a rb30 to a rb30det, when i change the ecu i kno that ther is a extra connection for the knock sensor , is it nessesary , do i really need knock sensor , thankz

VLHERO
04-10-06, 23:55
You dont have to but since you'll be using an aftermarket ECU it would be handy to be able to see your knock readings.

PSI086
05-10-06, 20:35
The turbo loom has an extra wire for the knock sensor so you'll have to run one yourself if you still have the NA loom.

And if you were a bit more litterate Aido you would have read he's going to put in a turbo ECU for the turbo set up not an aftermarket one

MonstaS4
05-10-06, 20:50
And if you were a bit more litterate Aido you would have read he's going to put in a turbo ECU for the turbo set up not an aftermarket one

He'll have some major issues getting an RB30det to run without an aftermarket ecu..........

I'm guessing he meant RB30ET. I don't think you need the knock sensor. Apparently, if it's unplugged the ecu retards base timing by 5 degs. How true this is, i'm not sure.

PSI086
05-10-06, 21:36
My SL only has a NA engine loom in it at the moment and I'm in the process of hooking the knock sensor up so it will be interesting to see if it makes any noticable difference. This should establish whether the timing is retarded 5deg as I'm yet to hear if its actually a myth or not.

JoshV8inj
05-10-06, 21:41
All a knock sensor does is if the engine pings...it retards the timing automatically via the ECU. Its not needed but nice to have one for safety sake :)

RB30-POWER
05-10-06, 21:55
it retards the timing by 5deg if the knock sensor circuit is open circuit or not connected period.

its in the holden books and you can feel it, 5 deg makes a big difference to the torque output at standard power levels.

if you don't want to connect it up, just set your base timing to 20deg and it will be fine then.

VLHERO
07-10-06, 00:44
He'll have some major issues getting an RB30det to run without an aftermarket ecu..........
Which is exactly why I said what I said.