View Full Version : Mates VLT dying

PhilG
21-09-06, 00:41
Hey guys just need a little help with my friends vlt.. okk the problem is it keeps on cutting out while u r driving it ... then wont start.. then starts like 20-30 mins later and runs fine .. then dies again ?? i cant work out what the problem is.. Since its started we have put a new cas in tested the computer sorta tested afm and fuel pump seems to be working .. and there is nothing left i can think of.. need help asap thanks in advance

VL_RB25DE
21-09-06, 07:52
what does it do when it dies?

does it run out of fuel or does it just cut out instantley?

PGibbo
21-09-06, 09:37
its 100% the CAS

it just cuts out yeh? then is a bitch to start again. Pull the dizzy out and check for bearing dust

PhilG
21-09-06, 13:11
i would be driving and it would just turn it self off .. then i try start it it will turn on then just die in 2 seconds .. next start it dosent turn on it just cranks and i have to wait like 20 mins for it to turn on then it might die 300 meters down the road. there is a brand new crank angle sensor in the car as we changed it first because i thought it was the problem .. but no it is still doing it.

Stocs101
21-09-06, 13:34
connections to the pump may be loose.

I have had similar probs beofre......check the fuse rail as it may be melting and causing all sorts of dramas with fuses, this has happened to me. Everything was getting super hot, so i wired them individually, and i haven't had a problem since

PhilG
21-09-06, 13:36
il take a look at it thanks man .. i just dont get it lol the car is mint and drives normal then just dies outa the blue

PGibbo
21-09-06, 16:57
connections to the pump may be loose.

I have had similar probs beofre......check the fuse rail as it may be melting and causing all sorts of dramas with fuses, this has happened to me. Everything was getting super hot, so i wired them individually, and i haven't had a problem since
if it was that it would splutter and die not just cut out

if it was a melted fuse rail why would it start and run then suddenly stop even if it was melted

you would have your issues on and near idle especially after a rev?
I am telling you its the cas!!!

PhilG
21-09-06, 17:06
no problems ... it drives normal even on 16psi then it will just stop and takes 20 or so minutes before it starts propperly and drives normaly untill it dies again

OziWPN
21-09-06, 17:37
its 100% the CAS

it just cuts out yeh? then is a bitch to start again. Pull the dizzy out and check for bearing dust

Have to agree....Most likely will be the Crank Angle Sensor

(When you changed the CAS, did you change the bearing aswell?)

VL_RB25DE
21-09-06, 21:42
or the coil, its electrical may be when the coil gets hot it fails hence waiting 20min, enough time to cool and it works again

PhilG
22-09-06, 00:27
still has the old bearing we just changed the actual sensor.. it looked abit rusted so that might have something to do with it ?

dacolprt
22-09-06, 01:03
Dude Im a Mechanic for nine years. I would say try crank angle sensor. You can check the fault codes. But if you have replace that I would say Coil. Try another coil from a mate who has a vl. If it fixes it buy new coil. Easy as that. If that dosnt work, take it to an auto elect. Get them to diagnose the problem. Then fix the part yourself.... Save labour cost. It will be somthing easy as that. Wouldnt stess hard yet. Goodluck.

Turbo-moruk
22-09-06, 06:44
My car had similar issues. Mine is luckily a manual and when I cruise on the hway at speeds of 100 kz the darn thing used to stall and id put the clutch in while in gear and then it would run again. I checked the cas changed the afm changed the plugs and only very recently after over a year of trial and error managed to rectify problem.

Also check when the cars in park and you gas it to see if it blows any smoke at all. First mine used to stall then started blowing smoke and a whole range of other issues. Turned out some sensors in the engine weren't functioning properly and even after my engine warmed up the sensors would send messages to the computer saying the car was cold and would always use extra unburnt fuel and hence the smoke and the back of the car would reak petrol.

Take it to a mechanic you know that wont charge you just to find the problem without fixing it. But as the dacolprt said if all else fails an auto elec is the way.

Hope this helps mate

PhilG
22-09-06, 11:37
thanks for all the input and help guys .. im just gonna take it to a auto elec

Stocs101
22-09-06, 12:14
if it was that it would splutter and die not just cut out

if it was a melted fuse rail why would it start and run then suddenly stop even if it was melted

you would have your issues on and near idle especially after a rev?
I am telling you its the cas!!!

I said may be melting............not melted.

The car isn't hot when you first start, it but after 30 mins of driving it is so it wasn't doing it until i had gone for a drive. It happened a couple of times before i figured oout what was happening. It either coughed and spluttered and died or just simply died and wouldn't start. So it did have similar characteristics to a CAS problem.

vegitto
23-09-06, 16:38
could ur battery die'n out on u? maybe its stuffed only gives u enough charge for a little bit. eg not charging itself backup again? (maybe plates are melted on inside) just a thought
hope u fix it, my mate had the same issue it turned out to be this. cheers

-VB-
23-09-06, 17:27
doubt it would be battery, as the car is running, the alternator is supplying voltage constantly. could be fuel relay too, thats what i'd be checking. next time it happens, give the fuel relay a good bashing and see if that helps

PhilG
24-09-06, 14:16
Yeah im about to check the fuel"Change filter look at pump and reg more ". lol its just sucks it happends outa no where but its vls for u

Alsynon
24-09-06, 14:35
99% chance that it's the coil. Had exactly the same drama a few years ago. Chuck some laps near home until it dies then straight away hook up an earthed sparkplug to the coil lead and see if there is any spark.

PhilG
24-09-06, 14:43
the coil is the one connected to the lead that connects into the center of the dizzy cap ?

well if it is that thing i just changed it and it started first go .. time to see if it dosent die.

-- Changed coil pack drove around and it still died

PhilG
27-09-06, 17:46
worked out to be the fuel pump .. kept on dieing under to much stress .. put a new one in and it works fine .. thanks for everyones help