View Full Version : CAS problems

SIK_3LT
07-09-06, 00:41
hey all, yesterday when i was driving to uni my car was ideling low pretty bad that it actualy stop a couple of times. i checked everything and the plug of the cas doesn't have that black rubber thing that covers the plug and it looked heaps dirty. can this be the problem?? not making good contact.

also i've got a spare new cas kit so i rewire the plug with new pins and i solder it. my question is do you have to take out the dizzy to change the crank angle sensor, because i only got up to that plate with lines marked all around this thing plate, and i couldn't take it out. Do i pull the rod that sticks out??.

Alex

FRASHD
07-09-06, 06:53
From what you're saying it doesnt sound like the cas. A faulty cas won't make the car idle low. It will make stop or misfire.

SIK_3LT
07-09-06, 13:36
its misfiring as well and its geetin bad, i though it was the plugs but i've changed them about 2000 ks ago

FRASHD
07-09-06, 20:40
before buying a new plug kit etc, check that he bearing isn't failing, there will be a brown dust, this can cover the chopper disc and this can make your car misfire. If thats ok and the plug is dirty like you say. Put a boot kit on it with new terminals. ( I am only trying to help off what you have told me)

SIK_3LT
08-09-06, 00:08
i've already got a new cas kit i had it for ages. so far i've put a new boot with new terminals and yeah i've seen that brown dust, but i can't take out the disk, the shaft the one that you put the rotor button is on the way, does that come off??
i'll try to cleaning it and see go it goes. also i wanted to know how to take out the cas do you need to take out the dizzy?

thanks

FRASHD
08-09-06, 07:47
So the brown dust is there. :) You're on the right track now.
That means the bearing is poked.
Remove the dizzy and rebuild it. these things don't fix themself. If you really wont I can send you a rebuilt one. There is alway one in stock. VL's are getting old now. PM if you want one sent.

glad to be of help.

VL_RB25DE
08-09-06, 09:46
i've already got a new cas kit i had it for ages. so far i've put a new boot with new terminals and yeah i've seen that brown dust, but i can't take out the disk, the shaft the one that you put the rotor button is on the way, does that come off??
i'll try to cleaning it and see go it goes. also i wanted to know how to take out the cas do you need to take out the dizzy?

thanks

yes, there should be a bolt or screw on the rotor remove that better yet go get your self a Gregory's

SIK_3LT
08-09-06, 11:15
sweet. i've got something to do this weekend :) . one more thing once it the dizzy comes off, how would i know its at a 15 angle when i put it back in. Is this when a timing gun comes in handy.??

Thanks a heaps BAS you were a great help. And VL RB25DE thanks helping to once again.

scottrus
08-09-06, 11:49
Just mark the dissy before you pull it out and aslong as you dont turn over the engine it will be sweet to put back in in the same spot. Also the CAS fails because of the bearing so make sure you replace it. That plate with the groves in it must also be put in correctly facing the right way!

Hope this helps

Epitaph
08-09-06, 12:06
If BAS cant get you one, i have about 15 on the shelf. pm me

david85dc
08-09-06, 12:07
Thanks Brescani, now i know what to look for with these dodgy cas's. last time mine fu cked up was in the middle of a dyno run... haha

SIK_3LT
08-09-06, 15:18
thanks for the tips guys.

If BAS cant get you one, i have about 15 on the shelf. pm me

thanks dude i've already got a cas kit, just need to borrow a Gregory from a friend and hopefully this will be fixed :D

PGibbo
09-09-06, 16:27
i did this the other day and i have a few photos of doing it

if you want me to send them to you and a quick description i can do if you want just pm me its relatively easy

SIK_3LT
12-09-06, 17:10
ok im put the dizzy back on. i didn't take it out on TDC. my question is which white line is the TDC there are seven lines i dont know which one is? is it the first on to the right or to the left. i try the manual but the pic is no good
i need to know so i can align the rotor to 9 o'clock postion

Blurr
13-09-06, 10:12
ok im put the dizzy back on. i didn't take it out on TDC. my question is which white line is the TDC there are seven lines i dont know which one is? is it the first on to the right or to the left. i try the manual but the pic is no good
i need to know so i can align the rotor to 9 o'clock postion

Should be the one on the left whilst facing the engine (drivers side of the car) which should be yellow/orange, all the others should be white.

I thought someone said if you marked the dizzy/motor before you take it out and don't turn the engine over whilst the dizzy is out it should just go straight back in??

SIK_3LT
13-09-06, 12:20
thanks, i had a look at my friends vl and got it.
In my case they all look white and yeah i did mark the washer and bolt but i lost it :(. and it wasn't on TDC and i forgot to look weather it was on the 9 o'clock or the 6 o'clock position.