View Full Version : Walky Bonnet

SirGeo
16-03-03, 15:01
just wondering if someone with a genuine walky could tell me if a genuine walky bonnet is different to a stockie, i.e is the support built around the cutout or is just cut through. I am just asking as i have been asked to put a walkie scoop on a car but according to Victorian road laws i am not allowed to cut through the support.

thanks.

GMH-GEM
16-03-03, 20:53
I think you are allowed to , probably just need to get it engineered and take it over the pits.

NZ VLTURBO
18-03-03, 18:29
I'll have a look for you, but I'm pretty sure the supports are cut.

SirGeo
18-03-03, 21:53
thanks NZ,
if anyone can take a pic it would be an even beter help atleast i can print it and give it the guy and if he gets hassled he can show the original pic... thanks.

ILLUSIV
19-03-03, 14:20
From memory its just cutout.... But I could be wrong. I'll check with a mate when I see him next...

NZ VLTURBO
23-03-03, 15:14
Definately cut through the supports, and Im working on a picture.

INFLYT
24-03-03, 13:59
As long as no-one ruin's the clean line's on their VL's by putting one on. A Walkinshaw bonnet is for a Walkinshaw!

Jeffo
24-03-03, 14:11
ill second that INFLYT... unless the hole kit is on they look terrible.. thats imo.

VL-Aero
25-03-03, 21:01
i've seen one maroon over silver with walky bonnet that didnt look that bad.

and i've seen a few in SC magazine too. doesnt do too much for me

INFLYT
27-03-03, 12:12
The maroon/silver one you mentioned is the one that won the Horsepower Hero's 6 cylinder title a few year's back. Imagine how cleaner it would look without that bulge on the bonnet, but each to their own

vs355a
05-05-03, 18:06
The bonnets do not have additional supports around the cutouts.

I donot believe you need to get your car engineered if you cut a hole in the bonnet. A bonnet does not supply in structural strength to the vehicle. Think about it... It has one pin/latch at the front and it is usually the first thing to brake off or bend out of the way in an accident.

INFLYT
05-05-03, 23:02
The cutout would be ok from a legal point of view, but anything hanging out of it would be trouble!

SirGeo
05-05-03, 23:09
we'll i've already put it in, and so far he hasn't come back and complained about trouble from the cops.

The only reason i asked was because i read that if you cut "any support" that strengthens a part of the vehicle you must get it engineered to make sure you havn't lost any strength in case of an accident.

I know the bonnet aint exactly a strong point but i just wanted to know what the originals had... if they were cut through then they can't say sh|t.

INFLYT
06-05-03, 00:45
Yeah that's pretty much where it's at

ILLUSIV
07-01-04, 09:46
The bonnets do not have additional supports around the cutouts.

I donot believe you need to get your car engineered if you cut a hole in the bonnet. A bonnet does not supply in structural strength to the vehicle. Think about it... It has one pin/latch at the front and it is usually the first thing to brake off or bend out of the way in an accident.

The argument I have heard from the pits / cops is that your radiator could leak, or you could get an oil leak, which could p1ss up from the hole in the bonnet and go all over your windscreen, causing you to not be able to see, and possibly have an accident.

If they were that concerned with them, they wouldn't have gotten ADR from the factory.

In WA you can get permits for it. My mate has one. They pits were going to fail the stretch walky coz of the hole in the bonnet! Until they were convinced that original Walkinshaw's came from the factory like that.

Aero25
07-01-04, 22:51
As long as no-one ruin's the clean line's on their VL's by putting one on. A Walkinshaw bonnet is for a Walkinshaw!

What about the Aero kits iv seen a couple on some Aeros and the look neat. Im putting one on mine in a couple of weeks.

vlt-dreamer
08-01-04, 13:58
steve how much did ya charge him if ya dont mind me asking....

SirGeo
08-01-04, 14:07
hmmm.. that was a while ago,

Price was included in the whole fitting of the kit so i can't give you an exact figure.. sorry.

Stretch_W
08-01-04, 23:38
Strength is not an issue with the cut out. The only reason the cops will knock you back is because a hose could blow off and cover the windscreen. All you have to do is make something so that when the bonnet closes the scoop seals to it making it impossible for something to leak up through the scoop.

The only reason I got away with it on the stretch is because it was an orginal vechile unmodified in that area.

PS. Did you know that a VL is the weakest car Holden have even made and in comparison a WH Statesman is 250% stronger in tortional strength. The only way to get a VL to handle well is to weld in a cage.

vlt-dreamer
09-01-04, 06:15
Steve, can you pm me mate...pricewise to fit a walky kit...

may be doing so in the near future...

Anubis
25-02-04, 09:11
I my self have been contemplating getting a raised bonnet for my VL, perhaps not quite as large as the walky.. only reason being the plans I am considering with the airbrushing.. whether it all goes ahead is a different story all together :)

vlt-dreamer
25-02-04, 09:18
depends on what scoop your fitting, some are piss easy like the hornet style.

Anubis
25-02-04, 11:07
the scoop i have (I think) is a gts scoop, one of those low but not TOO low kinds. This present one is well, a little cracked (paint work wise and possibly more) so the debate I have with myself at the moment is whether to replace it with another gts scoop or get a lip(?) heh I really have no idea what I'm talking about heh

This here is a link to a side on drawing I've done of the car at the moment for 3D modelling purposes:
VL 5.0 (http://members.westnet.com.au/anpu/temp/mycar.gif)

So you might be able to get an idea as to what I'm talking about (scoop wise)

(It was obviously a very painstaking task of drawing that as well) :)

ILLUSIV
27-02-04, 12:30
Looks like a VL Group A HDT scoop on backwards!!!!!!

vlt-dreamer
27-02-04, 12:36
yeh just buy a hdt scoop, group a- you can buy em off ebay cheap too.

personally i think they r ugly as ****.:)

poohkies
18-05-04, 16:27
my walky scoop only has the front cut out near the radiator, never had any trouble from the police or the pits,

very interesting! mine are cut straight through the supports, I have cut some or the rear section to let air flow through!

vlt-dreamer
19-05-04, 07:44
my walky scoop only has the front cut out near the radiator, never had any trouble from the police or the pits,

very interesting! mine are cut straight through the supports, I have cut some or the rear section to let air flow through!

yes they are most definately cut stright through the supports. The only noticable difference from the original compared to aftermarket is the cleanness of the cuts in the bonnet. also where the supports are cut on the original walky bonnet they are spot welded.

poohkies
01-06-04, 14:42
Strength is not an issue with the cut out. The only reason the cops will knock you back is because a hose could blow off and cover the windscreen. All you have to do is make something so that when the bonnet closes the scoop seals to it making it impossible for something to leak up through the scoop.

The only reason I got away with it on the stretch is because it was an orginal vechile unmodified in that area.

PS. Did you know that a VL is the weakest car Holden have even made and in comparison a WH Statesman is 250% stronger in tortional strength. The only way to get a VL to handle well is to weld in a cage.

if u have to cover the front scoop what's the point in having it? the reason why it was there is One, to suck the air through from the radiator, and also to suck there air in from the rear for the air box? if u had to seal the front up it would nearly be a waste of time putting it on?
If u have a walky engine on the other hand u would need it as the manifold would be hitting the engine, and the airbox would have to be modified!

vlt-dreamer
01-06-04, 14:46
true poohkies...

maybe you could cut up some perferated material to make it look like its enclosed but still allows air to come in...

just an idea?

poohkies
01-06-04, 15:53
i' just have a big f 'n' whole there, took the middle fin out, looks beasty but mmmm worried people might try to steal s h i t, but its not like down there, car theft an't that bad

HEADAKE
01-06-04, 15:58
Thats cause their 16yrs old poor B l a c k and homeless!!! that why car thief isnt bad the lil w a nkers dont know how!!!

vlt-dreamer
02-06-04, 07:52
poohkies - you have to get the louvre thats sits in the hole-it looks silly without it...:)

poohkies
08-06-04, 14:11
yeah i got it, had taken it out, put it back in now, doesn't look that bad, just different :P

vlt-dreamer
08-06-04, 14:14
no - it looks ****house without it off, keep it on - im gonna start calling you jazza 20 :)

davo_rulz
08-06-04, 15:19
im gonna start calling you jazza 20 :)

Now I think that's just a lil too harsh...........what were you thinking???

-David

Sinister
16-06-04, 15:43
d you know that a VL is the weakest car Holden have even made and in comparison a WH Statesman is 250% stronger in tortional strength. The only way to get a VL to handle well is to weld in a cage.
is that for real??? why r they any weaker than a vb-vk ?

vlt-dreamer
16-06-04, 15:53
id like to know where your facts were pulled from too!