View Full Version : Dipstick Still Leaking, WTF!

xeturbo
15-09-05, 11:54
I went and bought myself a new (second hand) dipstick, and the rubber seal was good on it, and it stops the leak on the trimatic. however yesterday i took the old girl for a bit of a flog around the block to show my mate how its goin and when i got back there was oil residue everywhere under neath. i am wondering is it leaking under pressure somehow? as it doesnt seem to leak when driven softly? anyhelp would be much appreciated as its costing me a fortune in oil!

thanks John.

NSNPWR
15-09-05, 13:39
Trans dipstick or motor dipstick??? Only reason I ask is you wrote it stops the leak on the trimatic?....if its motor, is the dipstick actually coming out of its hole?

xeturbo
15-09-05, 15:12
nah, its all gearbox. trimatic dipstick area seems to be the problem.

NSNPWR
15-09-05, 16:28
Ive heard of em leaking out the speedo cable....?

4Barrel
15-09-05, 18:31
I went and bought myself a new (second hand) dipstick, and the rubber seal was good on it, and it stops the leak on the trimatic. however yesterday i took the old girl for a bit of a flog around the block to show my mate how its goin and when i got back there was oil residue everywhere under neath. i am wondering is it leaking under pressure somehow? as it doesnt seem to leak when driven softly? anyhelp would be much appreciated as its costing me a fortune in oil!

thanks John.
I have a VK V8 Trimatic.From what I've been told & read thru various posts is there are a few diffrent sorts of 'O' ring Seals for Dipsticks.Unclear if this is the case with VL's.

xeturbo
15-09-05, 19:47
yeah im totally confused aswell, it doesnt really seem to be a problem if i just baby the car about, but i want to solve this problem. i will have to look into the o ring thingy. thanks again people for the help!

DEMON8
16-09-05, 08:02
yeah im totally confused aswell, it doesnt really seem to be a problem if i just baby the car about, but i want to solve this problem. i will have to look into the o ring thingy. thanks again people for the help!

I had a very similar problem with the first trans in my VK, It was a trimatic as well, It was fine if you just cruised around, If you floored it, It would start pouring trans fluid out. I ended up buying another trans.:)

87boost
16-09-05, 18:20
i had the same problem. put a new o ring on and some sealant around it like ultra grey or something and it will stop leaking?

xeturbo
18-09-05, 17:58
yeah ill give that ago, the thing is this gearbox was rebuilt last year and has probably done less then 3000 ks. it was in my mates vl calais, and he never had any leaks at all. it has only happened since putting it into my car, so it cant be anything to big i dont think. can trimatics loose a lot of oil through the speedo cable area?

xeturbo
29-09-05, 02:18
does anyone know where abouts the breather is on the trimatics? i rang up the tranny joint that built my box and they said to check the breather area and if thats wet/ leakign fluid then i have pretty much destroyed the box? ps (does anyone have a half decent trimatic they wanna sell me ;)