View Full Version : rb30 oil squirters???

WEST
14-08-05, 12:04
hi there, i'm converting a rb30e to a rb30det, can anyone tell me if i'll need to run oil squirters in the rb30?? i'm looking at using this as a drift car but want to know how much i can push this. ;) i'm running aftermarket h beam rods and a 9 litre sump. thanks :D

duz360
14-08-05, 12:09
no you dont dude. infact no rb30 engine has oil squirters. its a myth that the turbo one does

Tempest
14-08-05, 12:18
you can't use the rb25 ones either. the wall is too thin on the oil galley in the block to screw them in.

duz360
14-08-05, 12:25
if you really wanted them you could make up a line to deliver oil to the squirters

RB30-POWER
14-08-05, 12:35
Just get the pistons ceramic coated if its for race app.

Gives the same results and less hassle the setting up oil squirters on the RB30.

watchdog
14-08-05, 13:23
who does ceramic coating and what does it cost. anyone had it done or know.

duz360
14-08-05, 13:43
http://www.hpcoatings.com/motorsports.htm
http://www.jet-hot.com.au/

carcrazy
14-08-05, 15:51
The rb30 actually does have oil squirters, they are in the side of the rod. Ive though about putting the rb25 squirters into a rb30 block, its possible, just needs a bit of machining in the case to fit them.

Ive heard of people being able to put a couple of extra degrees timing into the motors with squirters because they cool the crown of the piston down.

Ceramic coating would probally do the same thing though ive seen tests with them and they deliver more heat out the exhaust due to the pistons not being able to absorb the heat of combustion.

VLHERO
14-08-05, 16:01
The rb30 actually does have oil squirters, they are in the side of the rod.

What rod?

MonstaS4
14-08-05, 18:05
Ceramic coating would probally do the same thing though ive seen tests with them and they deliver more heat out the exhaust due to the pistons not being able to absorb the heat of combustion.

Which would be a good result wouldn't it? Excess heat is part of the reason pistons fail isn't it?

MARMO.
14-08-05, 18:38
would also be better for turbo spool up because the hotter the gas the more room , spooling the turbing more,

duz360
14-08-05, 19:18
The rb30 actually does have oil squirters, they are in the side of the rod. Ive though about putting the rb25 squirters into a rb30 block, its possible, just needs a bit of machining in the case to fit them.

Ive heard of people being able to put a couple of extra degrees timing into the motors with squirters because they cool the crown of the piston down.

none of that oil would hit the piston.its simply a relief for the bearing,all rods have it so you cant really call it an oil squirter unless you say that every engine has oil squirters

and marmo you are right.the hotter you keep the exhaust the better,you can notice the difference in spool time when your driving if your pipes are red hot

brett_32i
14-08-05, 19:32
this has been covered in another thread.

bits-r-missin rally team, and alot of others, actually remove their squirters. you end up cooking the oil.

stick with ceramic coating!!

OVL087
14-08-05, 19:45
here is a pic of my cp's , with the crown ceramic coated.

bit hard to tell though.

Warpspeed
14-08-05, 20:16
Oil squirters are a good idea for engine durability, but it is a lot of work to do it on an RB30 block, and probably not worth the trouble.

First you need to machine a flat above the oil gallery, and using a jig drill and tap a hole into the oil gallery. It also needs a dowel hole to stop the squirter banjo bolt from rotating. Locating these holes accurately is rather difficult, but not impossible. There is very little room down there with crankshaft counterweights and piston skirts flying around.

Each piston requires a cutout in the piston skirt to clear the hooked shaped jet at piston BDC. If you don't do this the pistons will just slice off the jets very neatly the first time you turn the engine over.

Then to do it properly you also need the special pistons with the circular internal oil gallery located above the top ring. There are also two 10mm holes 180 degrees apart under the piston. The oil jet squirts oil into one of these holes, and it goes right around inside the piston, and drains back through the other hole. Oil is NOT just sprayed up under the piston. It actually circulates THROUGH the piston to remove heat from the top ring area.

With the piston at BDC the jet pokes right up into one of these two oil holes and that is what mostly cools the piston. At TDC it will just spray everywhere, but that is not how it works.

Having a pin hole in the top of one side of the con rod that lubricates the piston pin is going to do SFA for piston cooling. It is just too small and too far away from the piston to do any cooling.

RB30-POWER
14-08-05, 21:49
For anyone that is interested this is what they look like in an RB25.

Took the pic when i dismantled it.

http://calaisturbo.customer.netspace.net.au/squirter.jpg

WEST
14-08-05, 21:49
hey there guy's thanks for the reply's, it's helped more than you could think. :-)

Warpspeed
14-08-05, 21:59
No oil holes under the pistons ??

Are those factory RB25 pistons they look new ? I have an RB26 here in pieces at the moment and the pistons look quite different underneath to those.

RB30-POWER
14-08-05, 22:17
Thats a Series 2, RB25DET that had less then 40,000km on the clock. Mintest motor i have ever seen, internally.

Stripped it all and bolted it all onto a 200,000km RB30, rofl.

None of this 2L crap for me. :p

Warpspeed
14-08-05, 22:52
Fascinating, I have never looked inside an RB25 before, only my RB26.

It looks then as though the GTR factory pistons are quite different to the RB25 pistons, apart from the compression ratio and very slight difference in pin height.

I have just spent about an hour searching the internet for a picture of these oil cooling holes under the GTR pistons. Apparently apart from Nissan GTR, the Supra has them, and also the Mazda Familia GTR engine. They seem to only be fitted to the top line factory (race) engines. They must be very expensive to make, I still cannot figure out how they can make a circular fully enclosed oil gallery that runs right around under the piston crown.

I know some of the big diesels run this system, and they use two piece pistons, but these GTR pistons appear quite normal, no obvious sign of them being made in two halves.

I wondered about those holes when I dismantled the engine, and actually threaded a piece of wire into one hole, pushed it around the oil channel, and had it stick back out through the other hole. The pistons are definitely hollow.

My crappy Laser turbo also has factory oil squirters, but the pistons look just like those RB25 ones, with no oil holes or internal cooling channels.

The standard GTR pistons although only cast hyper-eutectic may therefore be more heat durable than aftermarket forgies.

87calais
14-08-05, 23:28
Interesting thread!

Warpspeed, if you could get a pic of the underside of your RB26 pistons that would be great!. You would have to assume that the oil cahnnel is cast into the piston, then maybe the feed and drain holes are drilled, or just finished off with a drill.?.

OVL087
14-08-05, 23:40
a hollow couldnt be cast into a solid piston , it would have to be 2 peices.

some pics would be cool tony if u can do so

Warpspeed
15-08-05, 09:59
That is exactly how I see it too. These pistons are pressure cast, but have a circular internal hollow cavity inside. The holes are not drilled, but look like they were cast too, the edges are smooth and flared into the underside of the piston.

Hollow castings are no big deal, but there must always be welsh plugs holes to support an internal "core" during the casting process. The sand core is then broken up and removed through the same holes afterwards.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera or any way to get an image up on the internet. But I do have a set of pistons right here if anyone else can photograph them for me. Maybe someone on one of the Skyline Forums has an image from somewhere they could post.