View Full Version : Help! Lancer Dash Lights Not Working after head unit install

Jet Pilot
24-07-05, 20:02
Hi Guys,

Over the weekend I put a cd player in a 90 model CB lancer GLX. Afterwards I noticed the dash lights do not work at all. When the light switch is on parkers only the right front headlight and tailight work. When i put the lights on full, the 2 front work but the back right only. I checked all the fuses near the kick panel on the drivers side and none are blown. Is there anything I can try? Would it be any of the fuses in the engine bay?? I spliced into the power and earth wires that were off the original loom to the tape deck also. I just used a test light to find the corresponding wires at the time. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks
-Mike

VLHERO
24-07-05, 20:07
checked the dimmer?

CVLAIS
24-07-05, 20:15
just check your earch that you spliced into, it may of not been a a earth it could of been an illumination wire, which maybe your problem, some old cars dont have a earth(negative) wire. the chasis of the headunit earth out to where it screws in

Jet Pilot
24-07-05, 20:25
VLHERO, i have checked the dimmer to make sure it wasn't turned right down or anythign to no luck. CVLAIS sounds like a plan to me, one thing i noticed was the head unit would cut out when you turned the volume up (when i tested to see if it worked) until i screwed the deck back into place in the dash. So possibly if i re locate the earth to just the body it might resolve the problem. I won't get time to do it till tomorrow now though.

JET-6
24-07-05, 20:54
Yes you will have connected your earth to the lighting feed, you would have got a false ground through the fillement of the globe and as soon as you tuned on the lights the fuse blows, but the HU will remain to run through the globes fillements

Jet Pilot
24-07-05, 21:00
Thanks matt ;) been a while since i last spoke to you. I will let you guys know how i go, after changing it around :) cheers

its.not.ali
24-07-05, 21:04
so where do u earth it? anywhere?

this happened to my mates car

JET-6
24-07-05, 21:32
Yer earth it to any metal under the dash, it will solve your problem straight away!

OVL087
24-07-05, 22:24
hahaha did u sell the ss for a lancer mikey :):)

i actually did the exact same thing to the same car about 4 years ago. had me and my bro completely lost trying to fix it for a long while.

Jet Pilot
24-07-05, 22:30
hehehe nar still have the ss andy :D when you did it, did it blow a fuse at all, coz none of them under the dash were blown from what i could find hey. i'll talk to you on msn through the week sometime aiight :P cheers

OVL087
24-07-05, 22:37
hahaha ss - super slow :):)

when my bro comes on sn i will ask him what he ended up doing to fix it.

lewpy
25-07-05, 02:27
yeah its definately the earth
you can try anything metal under the dash (sand the paint off first)
or try the existing earth from the old HU

Jet Pilot
25-07-05, 18:59
fixed this arvo, thanks for the help guys... i changed the earth, and then found the blown fuse (which was in the engine bay - not near the kick panel).. everything works sweet now :D cheers

its.not.ali
25-07-05, 19:15
so do you connect both wires to the body panel?

both wires being the false earth from the loom, and the earth from the h/u loom

CVLAIS
25-07-05, 19:21
so do you connect both wires to the body panel?

both wires being the false earth from the loom, and the earth from the h/u loom

no dont earth out the (false earth) it is the illumination wire not an earth (ie has 12volts on it when you turn your lights on). is you put it to earth you will blow the fuse

its.not.ali
25-07-05, 19:48
so should i just leave the illiumination wire cut? or do i have to wire it to something else?

Jet Pilot
25-07-05, 19:51
Originally the wire would of gone to the plug/s that connected to your original head deck. So if you have chopped all the wires (cut the plugs off) instead of splicing in. I would insulate the end of all the wires that are no longer joined to the plug (so they don't earth out - hence causing a fuse to blow). and then make sure you wire your new head units earth to the body of the car. (some metal)

its.not.ali
25-07-05, 19:56
i get it now! beautiful

thanks guys!!

CVLAIS
26-07-05, 00:31
some new head units have an illumination wire on them, look in your installation manual and look to see f it has one, if not do what Jet Pilot said, either heatshrink the ends or use insulation tape

JET-6
26-07-05, 02:14
Yes orange on the new headunit will be illumination