View Full Version : Neutral Switch on a VLT Manual (MX7)

ILLUSIV
22-08-02, 12:35
Does any one know what the Neutral switch actually does for the MX7 gearbox?

Mine is stuffed, but my car has been working fine without it for ages, and I wanna know what it actually does and if I really need to get a new one.

Does it do something simple like stop the car being started in neutral? Or increase revs while in neutral while the Air con is on?

Anyone know?

Thanks
Craig

bluvlt
22-08-02, 13:55
From what I could tell It richens it up a bit when the motor is in gear, so when u are at the lights in neutral or just sitting there working on the car or whatever it doesn't use quite as much fuel, It does bring the revs up a tinny little bit too I think. (I put mine on a switch when I was trying to work out what it did)

ILLUSIV
29-08-02, 17:17
Can anyone with a VLT manual tell me if they can start their car in gear at all?

darkstar
29-08-02, 19:33
i can :)

not sure if the switch is broken or not...

PSI-CHO
30-08-02, 11:21
yeah, i put my foot on the clutch and switch it on
i dont really do it though
whats the point, just start it in nuetral

scary
13-02-05, 21:09
sorry to bring up such an old post but its all i could find and it doesnt answer my question!

where exactly is the neutral start switch in an MF5 manual executive??

Gregory's car manual talks about the purple wire a fair bit (coming off the starter motor) but where is the neutral starter switch that it is supposed to connect to!?

scary
14-02-05, 09:31
up you go

spirit77
14-02-05, 11:11
Nutral switch??? Never heard of it, Guess we forgot to put something in my car when we converted it to manual. Never had a problem so guess i dont need it. What does it do? And could have it prevented what happened a few years back. Dad started car in gear. My car behind his. He has a tow bar ball.......need i say more.

vlthunter
14-02-05, 11:14
i always start my car in 1st gear. its a n/a but neutral switch is fine and it starts in any gear. dont all cars which are manual. sorry but not sure of what they do :(

scary
14-02-05, 14:36
if your neutral switch was working, your car wouldnt be able to start in gear (thats the point of it)

the neutral safety/start switch prevent you from turnin your car over if your are in gear (in and auto or manual)

actually, i just realised the switch might only be present in auto's as an austo car wont start in gear will it?

the reason i ask is becuase i have hooked up a Viper car alarm and i have skipped the neutral switch in the setup, and hence, if i hit the remote start and its in gear, it will jump forward. And if i could find the neutral switch and hook it up in the viper alarm and i hit the remote start while its in gear, the alarm will detect that it is in gear and not turn the starter motor over.

so yeah.... anymore help!? :)

StockyMcStock
14-02-05, 15:00
leave it out of gear.

hope this helps.

Dump_Pipe
14-02-05, 15:05
As far as I was aware the switchyou are talking about is only on the autos and prevent you starting it in drive.

scary
14-02-05, 18:27
bugga - ill just have to remember to leave it in neutral like stocky said.

cheers guys

benau
15-02-05, 21:55
there is a neutral switch on manuals it wires to the ECU it's signal changes the mixture and revs at idle. On an auto the inhibitor switch (P and N start only) is wired to the auto computer and also signals the same ECU port via the neutral position and start relays.

87calais
15-02-05, 23:07
there is a neutral switch on manuals it wires to the ECU it's signal changes the mixture and revs at idle. On an auto the inhibitor switch (P and N start only) is wired to the auto computer and also signals the same ECU port via the neutral position and start relays.

Exactly.

CAL415
18-02-05, 07:50
scary, you could rig up your remote start to neutral sensor on the manual box easy enuf so it wont start in gear, just run it straight from the sensor to a relay and run your remote start through that(not sure how your remote start is wired but im sure it cant be to hard)

also, if you leave the neutral sensor unplugged completly does it effect anything? or does it just have the mixtures/idle set for in gear all the time??

scary
18-02-05, 16:03
so there is a neutral safety switch?!
where abouts exactly? or does anyone know which wire goes into the ecu which is affected by the remote start?

sigmund
19-02-05, 19:10
so there is a neutral safety switch?!
where abouts exactly? or does anyone know which wire goes into the ecu which is affected by the remote start?

No, there is no safety switch. It's just to tell the ecu when in neutral(as said above) They still start in gear.
The wires for the reverse and neutral switch go above the brake booster.
Use a multimeter and check which is which.

scary
20-02-05, 13:55
awesome! thanx sigmund!

spanners
22-02-05, 21:56
on the mx 7 is it the rearward switch or the front

neuby
24-02-05, 18:15
Test it with a multimeter. Put it in neutral and which ever one has a high or infinite resistance, thats your neutral switch.