View Full Version : Walky Bodykit

RSHIN-BT1
11-04-05, 21:04
how much does the genuine walky bodykit weight?
and how does it compare in weight to the aftermarket bodykit?
and does anyone have a rought estimate on price for either of these?

Psi_Wagon
12-04-05, 21:27
not sure about the weight of the orig kit, but the copies could be lighter OR heavier, depending on how they are made. eg how many layers of fibreglass

you can pick up an aftermarket one for as little as 1500, but they are very time consuming to fit properly.

whereas the original kits go for around 2.5/3k+ but generally fit on nicely.

hope that helps...

RSHIN-BT1
12-04-05, 22:16
the 2.5/3k is that for a second hand or new from holden?
also i heard that the originals were made from carbon fibre?
is this true? in which case i think they would be much lighter then the aftermarket ones

Corsa
12-04-05, 23:33
The originals were made from fibreglass by anywhere from 3-6 different manufacturers from new. I am guessing that most copies will be lighter as the original front bar off mine weighed heaps more than i thought it would compared with other kits.
Corsa

RSHIN-BT1
13-04-05, 20:52
kewl thanx thats a bit of a help i thought the original would be lighter
its just that i thought of gettin a walky bodykit but was also thinking of the additional weight this would put on the car and slow me down :D and i certainly dont want that

iv looked around and have found that i can get the kit aftermarket for roughly 2k which i dont think is that bad
but if anyone can give me even a rough estimate of how much the total kit could weigh it would really help
thanks guys

Psi_Wagon
14-04-05, 21:02
hmm 2k 2nd hand for the kit, (aftermarket) plus hours and hours of getting it to fit properly will cost a fair sh|tload aswell.

i sent a walky kit 5-6 months ago, cant remember the exact wieght of it.... i think it was around 100+ kg's, but it was pretty bloody thick!

Psi_Wagon
14-04-05, 21:03
and that was without the boot spoiler and window moulds

RSHIN-BT1
15-04-05, 14:26
far out over 100kg's? withe the boot mould and window moulds.... lol
thats startin to kinda put me off the kit now :P

pjs83
15-04-05, 16:15
I'm pretty sure the genuine kits only weigh about 70kg, I bought a genuine front bar about 6 months ago and it's so light you can almost pick it up with one finger.

Psi_Wagon
16-04-05, 21:04
yeh, it all depends on how many layers of fibreglass they put on when they make the aftermarket kits, brakes easier but lighter.

mine was thick as, and f kn heavy lol

didnt notice any difference b4 n after it went on the car tho

vlt-dreamer
16-04-05, 22:10
2.5 to 3k lol cam.

try 6-8K genuine brand new.

RSHIN-BT1
18-04-05, 01:08
well a friend of mine told me u can still get em genuine from holden but they would set u back about 10 grand
n thats alot of money that can be spent on other things
so i think ill give the genuine kit a miss unless i could score one second hand for a descent price

dorey76
18-04-05, 20:14
well a friend of mine told me u can still get em genuine from holden but they would set u back about 10 grand
n thats alot of money that can be spent on other things
so i think ill give the genuine kit a miss unless i could score one <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=second%20hand" onmouseover="window.status='second hand'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">second hand</a> for a descent price

I enquired thru holden to get a couple of parts of the body kit to replace damaged ones on my walky and was told they don't stock them any more.

Psi_Wagon
18-04-05, 22:37
2.5 to 3k lol cam.

try 6-8K genuine brand new. lol yaself, when i was selling my kit (less than a yr ago) wreckers were selling genuine kits for 3k

:)

pjs83
18-04-05, 22:39
I enquired thru holden to get a couple of parts............

You can still get them direct from HSV I think.

W0rp3D
03-07-05, 01:22
so 3k or so and 70-100kg, oh and dont forget this kit has 30+ pieces, good luck getting to line up nice and neat yourself, or expect the budget to be blown out if you pay someone :)

walky001
03-07-05, 02:01
HSV or Holden never actually made those bodykit pieces, they used 4 different suppliers to make them as they weren't big enough to build 750 kits in 88 themselves. Thats why there is such a big difference between quality of fitment and even paint colour as different companies were contracted supply them. I'm not 100% but SSV may have been one of the original suppliers

vlmad_05
03-07-05, 03:11
i am getting a walky kit painted and fitted for 3.5g but that not geniune of couse thanx

walky001
03-07-05, 03:33
smart choice. When I had my last Walkinshaw I bought new side skirts for it. I was asked by the supplier if I wanted genuine or non genuine items. Now I haven't seen any markings on genuine walky's to tell them apart from non genuine items so I went the non genuine way. They fit perfectly and I wasn't ripped off as these may have been the exact same side skirts I would of been sent for twice the price had I asked for genuine ones.