View Full Version : RB30DET or RB30ET?????

UNONT2
25-07-07, 18:18
Hi az you may now if youv read on calais turbo my vl died after about a week,so im going to have to bite the bullet,spend sum muny and do it the right way so thats it really,but the decision now is wether to build a RB30ET or RB30DET?i have got all the parts to build a RB30ET bt the stories that iv hurd about the RB30DET just makes me want 1,so any help 2 move my decision either way would be extermly helpful.

Any suggustions or comments are welcome,
Thanks

E-Z
25-07-07, 18:25
RB30DET FTW its a better motor, not much more to be said, but just going from rb30et to rb30det isnt a cheap task, needs ecu, loom, head, manifold, intake, bigger turbo?
alot more then simply building a new RB30et and dropping it in .

UNONT2
25-07-07, 18:35
yer that what i was thinking but im going to have to find a vl turbo ecu or run a link any was but if i just build a stinkn hot rb39et ,balence everythn ,cams etc i should go ***n hard

E-Z
25-07-07, 18:39
damn straight.. i like the ET

UNONT2
25-07-07, 20:06
yer bro,wouldnt b a vl if it had a det in it a,

NZ_BT1
26-07-07, 19:51
We all love the ET because when we inialate everyone we allways say year its a 20 year old family car with a 3 litre motor with 1 cam.....................lol

NZ EVLHSV
27-07-07, 07:59
If it were me I would be looking into an RB26DETT. Being NZ there should be more motors and aftermarket parts available

azzaturbo
27-07-07, 08:12
Yea depends on the money & power ur after! either way they are both great motors

TurboKiwi
27-07-07, 10:09
Yea it will just look like another skyline motor in a commy thou !! Not very original compared to a turbo sohc. But yea the dohc would be way easier to exract power. Why not just get another high comp and retard the timing get some one to dyno tune to suit the high comp, Way cheaper ! And will give you time to save/build a serious rb30et/rb30det motor. Oh and run good oil the high comp motors have ****ty oil pressure when warm..

UNONT2
27-07-07, 16:59
on my hi comp set up,i wldnt have a clue wot went rong,had gud oil in it,the timing was set on about 9 degrees advance,all the stuf,but yeah didnt last long,iv got another rb30e sitting here that i could do another high comp set up on,bt 2 b honst im a bit scrd to do it agian,and if i do anothehigh comp set up,the serious motor will neva be done coz il just be 2 lazy and end up spending all my muny on it,so i think im goting to just build the rb30et,just nice and simple and reliable,well hopefully any way,and az fore the rb26dett,simply to exspensive and if i did find a rb26,2 b honst i would build a rb30 outa it.im neva going to lose muny outa the vl coz im neva gona sell it,its my baby!!!!!!!!!would neva be able to sell her

NZ_BT1
28-07-07, 12:32
you have to be loyal boys loyal lol stick to the RB30ET nothing beats history !!!!!

UNONT2
29-07-07, 10:57
yer dam right,il drink to that,rb30et it is then,thanks for your help boys,will keep you posted,also does any one no where 2 get some lumpy cams for the rb30et,lumpyer the beta hahaha

hsvhel
29-07-07, 17:27
franklin cams in pukekohe have been good to me in the past few days, 092384067

calais3L
29-07-07, 18:24
Single cam all the way! perfect for sticking it up the fags who believe anything with less than 2 cams is rubbish.

platinum
29-07-07, 18:32
Nothing wrong with the single cam engine, but the hard facts are, the twin cam will be more torquey, produce power more easily, and be a smoother running and more efficiant engine.

Anyway, I worked it all out, and if you're planning to do a proper "build" with aftermarket ecu, etc - it's not really a lot of price difference to use a twin cam head.

genki
29-07-07, 22:05
Single cam all the way! perfect for sticking it up the fags who believe anything with less than 2 cams is rubbish.

er..

double overhead cam is better though :/

simple, no ifs or buts.

its like saying a supercharged rb30 is "better" than a turbocharged rb30, no.. its not

but if u dont have money/cant be bothered forking out the extra money (which could be spent elsewhere mind you) sohc rb30 should do of course :p

but yeah, twincam is the way of the future! ;)

DeVL
30-07-07, 01:35
genki ur gonna get chopped

genki
30-07-07, 22:22
genki ur gonna get chopped

get fcucked!

haha ;p

ill be gone by the time u even start spooling ;)

hf driving on the streets ;)

but anyways, twincam is sicker... :p

DeVL
31-07-07, 01:04
I will have fun driving on the streets lol...... but ill have more fun chopping you at the track

UNONT2
31-07-07, 17:11
haha i would love to see a 20 year old sohc family car rip the balls off a dohc,thats what i live for hahaha gota love the competition!!!!!

genki
01-08-07, 14:38
I will have fun driving on the streets lol...... but ill have more fun chopping you at the track

hrrmmmm

yeah probably ;)

but u gotta remember my turbo is baby sized compared to urs lol, but ohwell ;) ;)

NZ EVLHSV
01-08-07, 14:46
You guys have to remember that there are only 3 VL Turbos in NZ, so he wont have any twin cam VLTs to race anyway

NZ 30ET
01-08-07, 14:49
You guys have to remember that there are only 3 VL Turbos in NZ, so he wont have any twin cam VLTs to race anyway

Ehh? There's a few now. Just not factory ones.

genki
01-08-07, 15:07
Ehh? There's a few now. Just not factory ones.

there never was any :/

UNONT2
01-08-07, 16:51
yer i would love to find out the exact number of vlt's in nz,by vlt's i mean 3l sohc vlt's none of this "lets put a rb20det in a vl,that will be cool", no it ant cool and then it will be just another vl with a skyline motor in it,and its usualy the faggots that do a half assed walky kit and make their car look twice az gay as standard with hubcaps,so a vl with a rb20det does not count but high comp set up does!!!!the rb20det'd vl boys need to be shown where to go!!!!!

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 16:55
mines a factory wag does this count!:p

12maneym
01-08-07, 17:40
yeah yours counts bro. my mate has an original calais turbo manual and there use to be a black berlina turbo withy vtss wheels in taradale but he must have moved. so thats 3 i know of that are factory turbo rb30et's

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 17:51
yeah yours counts bro. my mate has an original calais turbo manual and there use to be a black berlina turbo withy vtss wheels in taradale but he must have moved. so thats 3 i know of that are factory turbo rb30et's
phew i thought i might be left out cuz it a wag:D

12maneym
01-08-07, 17:59
i think not. u putting calais sideskirts on to match the front of your wagon?

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 18:06
i think not. u putting calais sideskirts on to match the front of your wagon?
yip just have to make the trip back to auckland to get the sideskirts and lower door moulds ,calais "bullet" badges are on there way just need the front grill then ill post pics:)

NZ_BT1
01-08-07, 18:13
i have a factory SL VL Turbo genuine and i also have a factory VL Turbo bt1. i have 2 of them hehe

They guy i bought my BT1 off also has a genuine VL turbo

UNONT2
01-08-07, 18:18
of corse urs counts man,you are the most special 1,i mean waggon+callis,fu*n gold make,kant wait 2 c it,wot colour you wrapn it in,

and i thought you got some headreasts matty????

gaijin
01-08-07, 18:29
Wow interesting thread. So your not going a RB30 bottom end mated to a modified RB20DE head no longer?

Anyhow even though the DOHC 3.0L, has a larger displacement than the RB26DETT or RB25DET, maximum possible horsepower is less, as the RB30 block lacks the RB26 block's internal cast-in bracing, and consequently cannot rev as high due to harmonic issues at ~7500 rpm. To compensate, the RB30DET produces more torque at lower revs.

So might you want to consider a RB25/26DET if converting to a twin-cam?

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 19:07
of corse urs counts man,you are the most special 1,i mean waggon+callis,fu*n gold make,kant wait 2 c it,wot colour you wrapn it in,

and i thought you got some headreasts matty????
ooh jez thanks you'll see it at the brock cruise ;) its really ugly at the mo no skirts or moulds still gettin painted.
i was thinkn i might get some negative comments about goin calais eyelids and moulds etc....changeing into a calais wagon when its not but meh i like it:D

gaijin
01-08-07, 19:17
ooh jez thanks you'll see it at the brock cruise ;) its really ugly at the mo no skirts or moulds still gettin painted.
i was thinkn i might get some negative comments about goin calais eyelids and moulds etc....changeing into a calais wagon when its not but meh i like it:D
Since when ever is it about someone else's opinion about your own ride mate. Ti's yours, do how you feel.

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 19:24
yip true dats y i went ahead and did it

gaijin
01-08-07, 19:27
yip true dats y i went ahead and did itSo I'm guessing a RB DOHC handles the turbo better then the SOHC?

UNONT2
01-08-07, 19:32
na bro,ive seen a coupl of calais waggns in some oz dvds,they look sik,but for some reason they tend to look quite high!!!bt they appeal to me.and like gavin said "its not every1 else finks about your car,its wot you fink about it coz u built it the way u wantd it 2 b!yer il c it at brock cruze ,hopfully the vl will be goin by then,hopfully being the key word!

gaijin
01-08-07, 19:35
na bro,ive seen a coupl of calais waggns in some oz dvds,they look sik,but for some reason they tend to look quite high!!!bt they appeal to me.and like gavin said "its not every1 else finks about your car,its wot you fink about it coz u built it the way u wantd it 2 b!yer il c it at brock cruze ,hopfully the vl will be goin by then,hopfully being the key word!
True to that mate!

UNONT2
01-08-07, 19:47
i fink all of us boys should cruze ova 2 oz 1 year and go 2 the sunnernats,how mean would dat be

gaijin
01-08-07, 19:58
i fink all of us boys should cruze ova 2 oz 1 year and go 2 the sunnernats,how mean would dat be
I'm Australian. :p

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 20:02
i hope the supa low shocks and springs i just brought wont make it look to high:D
the calais wags have always been a favourite of mine and to be honest i get alot of raised eyebrows when they saw the wag b4 it got the paint job so when its all together god knows what glares im gunna get :rolleyes:

UNONT2
01-08-07, 20:59
Haha gota love the luks u get a,i got the thumbs up and a nod of the head from a cop once,it was fu*n gold a!yer the calais waggon is definatly sumthn different,but different in a good way?did they come out factory calais????

So I'm guessing a RB DOHC handles the turbo better then the SOHC?
i kant say dat one would handle the turbo better than the other 2 be honst,but i think the dohc would go a bit harder than the sohc but it all depnds on how much moolah u wna spend a

gaijin
01-08-07, 21:08
did they come out factory calais????Yep, but not many.

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 21:19
Yep, but not many.
especially in nz,according to the other thread i started on nz wags there seems to be only maybe 1 other turbo wag.Id kill for a factory calais VLT wagon, sumthing like 70 berlina turbo wags and 50 calais wags where made but dont quote me on those numbers ;)

UNONT2
01-08-07, 21:24
just abot az rare az the BT1's ova here,iv only eva seen one here in nz,it was a dark darkblue/grey,are you colour coding the bumpers or silver the bumpers

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 21:30
just abot az rare az the BT1's ova here,iv only eva seen one here in nz,it was a dark darkblue/grey,are you colour coding the bumpers or silver the bumpers
yeah its 2 toned ,called pewter and hyper silver on the bumper ,moulds etc...

UNONT2
01-08-07, 21:36
sounkd bloody sexy haha!wldnd be a calais if the bumpers wernt colour coded.i gota get the rust takn outa my baby

SIKVLT
01-08-07, 21:58
sounkd bloody sexy haha!wldnd be a calais if the bumpers wernt colour coded.i gota get the rust takn outa my baby
Rust tell me about it :eek: have a look in the wagon thread! I posted some pics :D

NZ_BT1
02-08-07, 17:16

Oh now im not happy there is another BT1 out there in NZ :mad: :mad: :mad:

UNONT2
05-08-07, 12:57
na na na my bar RB30E i was talking bout another calais waggn i saw,not a bt1,no az far az i know,ur the only 1 with a bt1,is urs the 1 that was on trade me for agz

NZ_BT1
05-08-07, 18:20
na na na my bar RB30E i was talking bout another calais waggn i saw,not a bt1,no az far az i know,ur the only 1 with a bt1,is urs the 1 that was on trade me for agz

Yes it was it took me a while to save up some cash but luckily it was still forsale when i had the cash. so i snapped it up and bought it home and put it in the garage with a fan heater lol

UNONT2
05-08-07, 21:32
haha thats the way,treat it like its one of your own haha!mine should be garaged up az well with all the canser shes got haha

Chris117
18-01-10, 13:18
Hi guys Ive got a VL with a stock RB30e 200ks in it and im buying A T3/T4 turbo off another member in here.. Also getting http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=265431262

This is going to be the start of my RB project still got to get intercooler,wastegate,2 1/2 inch exhaust, fuel pump, have changed all oils in car and replaced front discs with DBA and ferodo metal kings pads locks up my 235/45/17 real good. Im not after huge power or 3gear burnouts just a bit of boost 0.4bar/4-6psi.running on 98 prem so how long do you think it will last? Im planning on doing all of it by myself in the garage even getting my own timing light :D I have VR Clubsport that i take good care of but i want to keep it standard. Easier for insurance.. I got a VL for a daily and its Great but the idea of having a turbo vl would be sweet.... Any advice suggestion would be great.. Thanks

ss nut
18-01-10, 14:04

Seven genuine ones here in the south Island.Seen them and know them,And these are ones on the road, not being restored at the moment.

VL-Dan
18-01-10, 15:36
Last post - "05-08-07, 22:32" :eek:

7 Genuine 30ET's on the road just in the S.I? :( *cry*

rb_inside
23-01-10, 10:39
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=266060350

VL-Dan
23-01-10, 11:54
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=266060350

^VERY nice engine :)

That exhaust mani looks like a fricken nightmare :confused:

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/3/117096903_full.jpg

NZ VLCT
23-01-10, 15:42
funny thread............ go the txt language, lol

SIKVLT
23-01-10, 19:23
Yeah txt slang haha

The heat from that manifold would be insane !